Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 softproof & embedded profiles  (Read 1425 times)

walter.sk

LR4 softproof & embedded profiles
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:18:38 pm »

Say I process a CR2 file in LR4, then send it to CS6 for heavy editing and it comes back to LR4 as a tiff.  I select the tiff in Library and then go to Develop.  I hit "S," and then click on the XY button.  When I change the right hand image I make it into a Proof Copy.

Now, when I go back to the Library I see a tiff file with the name of my paper profile on it.  I assume it is the adjusted softproof VC.  If I select this file and go to Develop, does it display using the paper profile? and if so, were I to now hit "S" would I actually be viewing a double-profiled version of the file?

While I realize the Softproof module is completed in the Advanced LR4 tutorial by Michael & Jeff,  I get so confused with re-editing a softproofed VC that I would appreciate a demo of how to do that, and what really goes on behind the scenes in terms of which file or VC gets the paper profile embedded.

aduke

Re: LR4 softproof & embedded profiles
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:55:27 pm »

Say I process a CR2 file in LR4, then send it to CS6 for heavy editing and it comes back to LR4 as a tiff.  I select the tiff in Library and then go to Develop.  I hit "S," and then click on the XY button.  When I change the right hand image I make it into a Proof Copy.

Now, when I go back to the Library I see a tiff file with the name of my paper profile on it.  I assume it is the adjusted softproof VC.  If I select this file and go to Develop, does it display using the paper profile? and if so, were I to now hit "S" would I actually be viewing a double-profiled version of the file?

I believe and operate under the assumption that when I return to Develop, that the proof copy is displayed withOUT the profile, and only when you hit "S", is the profile applied. Thus, you should always hit "S" when you are going to re-edit the proof copy. When you've entered softproof mode, if you then select side-by-side display, you should see your proof copy on the right and some prior version on the left. The "Before" control will indicate "master copy," which may or may not be the copy you want.

While I realize the Softproof module is completed in the Advanced LR4 tutorial by Michael & Jeff,  I get so confused with re-editing a softproofed VC that I would appreciate a demo of how to do that, and what really goes on behind the scenes in terms of which file or VC gets the paper profile embedded.

My additions in color above.

Alan

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:24:46 pm »

I think you are over thinking it all...if you create a "Proof Copy" it's just a Virtual Copy of your TIFF file...in Develop it will not be using/showing the profiled soft proofing unless you turn soft proofing on. When you do, you have the ability to do a Before/After using the Master file (which is your rendered TIFF before and soft proofing adjustments. In the drop down menu you can change it to the saved state (of the VC) so you can see what additional changes you make make in a second round of soft proofing. But I would suggest just continuing to use the Master photo since ideally all you are really wanting to do in soft proof is match the master in the print.

If you decide after making a print and wanting to tweak it to improve upon the print, you can continue to do that. That's where using the Saved State might be useful to see what the VC image looked like before making additional changes...

And no, the only thing "saved" in the VC is a reference to the profile. The profile is not modifying the VC in any way...so there is no need to be worried about double profiling...

Where things might get confusing is where you may have made multiple profiles for the same printer/paper and you want to test the differences in the profiles. In that case, I would suggest changing to the new profile and then when prompted create a new proof copy VC so you don't intermix the profiles in the same VC.

The key to this is to use it...once you get comfortable doing it, it's becomes second nature.

As for doing an extended video, I don't know...I do know that Mike, Chris and I are planning on getting together to shoot a few additional videos in June. A couple that were lost to a "technical" issue on an SD card and a couple additional ones...possibly with a special guest :~)

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 02:18:07 pm »

I think you are over thinking it all...

Thanks for getting back to me.  I guess it is harder for me to shift from Photoshop concepts to LR thinking.  But, since people tell me I'm not as dumb as I look  :D I'll probably be able to adapt, with practice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up