Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fiery RIP how to linearize + profile with external software  (Read 8417 times)

smilem

• Color Management Services

I mean I can print linearization.tif file generated by x-rite software, then print profiling.tif chart using the Fiery RIP with color management off. But then the EPL file is not created for my media to be connected with Profile connector?

Or do simply not require to use Fiery RIP linearization at all if external software is used? What if I need to create profile for remote location and they do not have a spectro?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: Fiery RIP how to linearize + profile with external software
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:16:48 am »

Well there's lots of variables (what printers are we talking about and what version of Fiery?) but generally speaking I like to calibrate (including linearization) within the RIP and just make the profile externally. That's pretty straightforward. That way you're making a profile on top of a good linearization and not asking the profile to fix a poor linearization. You don't want to the profile to work too hard if it doesn't have to.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

yannb

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:50:30 pm »

Hello,

What Fiery are you talking about? Fiery XF ( http://w3.efi.com/en/proofing-and-inkjet-production-solutions/product-overview/efi-fiery-xf ) or the Fiery for toner based machines ( http://w3.efi.com/fiery/Products/Fiery%20Digital%20Print%20Servers ).
In the case of Fiery XF, which is the same as Colorproof XF, but geared towards large format printing, what printer are you driving? Also, halftone CMYK, contone CMYK or contone RGB driver?

Regards,
Yann

smilem

• Color Management Services
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:17:45 pm »

The printers are DocuColor 252
Fiery Rip EXP260, Fiery 8.0

Another printer is a EPSON 1520 with Fiery XF

So do I need to print targets with colormanagement on or off in the rip?

Thank you for your answers.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:45:18 pm »

The printers are DocuColor 252
Fiery Rip EXP260, Fiery 8.0

Sounds like the older version with ColorWise ProTools? Am I right? If so, select "None" for the  "CMYK Simulation Profile" and "Media Defined Profile" for the Output profile in ColorWise under "Color Setup" on the Fiery itself.  Profile as CMYK and install into RIP as the default profile using the ColorWise Profile Manager.

Another printer is a EPSON 1520 with Fiery XF

OMG, let me step into my way back machine with Mr Peabody here - lol!
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

yannb

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:43:01 am »

Hello,

The profiling part for Fiery rips was explained by Onsight. For Fiery XF, it's different.

Here goes. Start the Lintool and define a new media with the printer settings you want. After ink limiting, linearization, total ink limiting and finally a calibration printout, you should have an .EPL in your EFI XF Client's work folder. Copy this .EPL file to the folder where the media profiles reside (mac: /library/application support/efi/efi media profiles). Wait a while, or start the client again. Select this new media in the printer tab of a printing workflow. Print your cmyk profiling target without color management. Measure it and create an ICC profile. Start the Lintool again, choose Profile Connector and open the .EPL again. There, select the ICC profile and save the modified .EPL file again in the EFI Media Profiles folder; you can overwrite it. The next time you select this media type on the printer tab, you should see that the ICC profile is now connected to the .EPL.

If you have a license for the creation of ICC profiles in XF, then the Lintool becomes Color Manager, and the process is easier. You can ask a 30 day demo license for a full version of XF to your dealer.

Regards,
Yann
Pages: [1]   Go Up