Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 4.1 RC announced  (Read 5699 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Lightroom 4.1 RC announced
« on: March 29, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »

The big news is that it supports the 5D Mark III .cr2 format

press release text follows:

Adobe today announced the availability of Lightroom 4.1 release candidate on Adobe Labs. The update adds raw file format support for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III and corrects issues reported from the initial Lightroom 4.0 release.

Adobe encourages the community to provide feedback so it can ensure the highest quality experience for customers working on diverse hardware and software configurations. Special thanks to all community members who provided feedback via the community powered feedback site: feedback.photoshop.com.

Lightroom is the essential digital photography workflow solution, helping serious amateur and professional photographers quickly import, manage, enhance and showcase all their images within one application. The Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in provides fast and easy access to raw image formats produced by many leading digital camera.

Pricing and Availability

The Lightroom 4.1 release candidate is available as a free download for Lightroom 4 customers. For more information and to download the Lightroom 4.1 release candidate, visit http://labs.adobe.com (available for both Mac and Windows).

Users can connect with the Lightroom team directly on Facebook (www.facebook.com/lightroom), via Twitter (www.twitter.com/lightroom) or on the Adobe Lightroom blog (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal).

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom 4.1 RC announced
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 04:24:59 pm »

Ellis

Obviously 5dMk3 support is good news for those with the camera, but the big news is that the RC should help those who have hit slowdowns with 4.0 or lost tone curves. They should definitely test this release and let Adobe know if it does resolve the problems.

John

SangRaal

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:33:34 pm »

Thank you so much for the the notification(i am downloading as I write this) in the almost 1 week since my 5D3 has showed up I have found out how truly awful DPP ZOOM Browser and EOS utility truly are. I also want to thank the Adobe team for thew quick response and for finally supporting the Tokina wide angle lenses with profiles.

SangRaal

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 05:33:16 pm »

OK uplooads from the 5D3 CF card worked fine (usb3 helped) and I rush processed 2 spring wildflower macro pics and printed them( as quick test); results are outstanding. At no time have I had any issues with slow response with LR4(beta too) however i am running it on a just assembled AMD 8 core chip on an Asus milspec MB with 32g of desktop Ram and a Sata3 SSD boot drive and desktop (w7 OS). I am thinking that some if not all the slowdown issues are related to desktops that are too small or clogged but that is just my $0.02

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:43:01 pm »

I am thinking that some if not all the slowdown issues are related to desktops that are too small or clogged but that is just my $0.02
That's not so. A range of systems, some reasonably high-spec, have been hit. Older machines, eg on XP, can't run Lightroom 4.

SangRaal

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 06:04:08 pm »

Exactly XP only can host 3.14 gig(32 bit only) of desk top ram and that goes pretty fast. I had 2 people who I put LR4 beta up for both running win7 intel i7 with 6 gig of desk top(3sticks of 2) It was bog slow both converted to 12 gig(3sticks of 4 ram is very cheap now) and the speedup was dramatic. LR4 will not run on 32 bit machines only 64 bit.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »

Both of us have been free of slowdowns, but fwiw take a look at Adobe's forums and you'll see good spec machines have been affected. Lower spec machines can't even run Lr4.

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »

Thank goodness!

I will now be able to play with 5D3 images in LR4.
Canon software is prety poor.

Tony Jay

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:23:11 pm »

As of earlier this week, late last week DPP had not yet been updated to deal with 5D mk 3 files, but I haven't checked in a couple of days.

Tony Jay

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:00:06 pm »

Interesting.

The CD software that came in the box with the camera seems to recognize 5D3 files once installed.

Regards

Tony Jay

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »

Detail panel sliders are still experiencing lag for me with 4.1RC. Otherwise, it seems okay so far.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:33:16 pm »

I was one of the users experiencing very slow dev slider response if the details were set to anything other than the defaults.  4.1 has improved the slider response in the basic panel, especially WB changes.  It appears adobe has tweaked their update algorithm to turn detail regeneration off until the slider being changed loses focus.  This is a good thing for me - if any adobe engineers are reading thanks for burning the midnight oil.

Rory
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 12:53:56 am »

Ellis

Obviously 5dMk3 support is good news for those with the camera, but the big news is that the RC should help those who have hit slowdowns with 4.0 or lost tone curves. They should definitely test this release and let Adobe know if it does resolve the problems.

John
When you open a catalog for the 1st time with 4.1RC, you see a dialog stating it is checking for point curves, I assume to restore those that have been lost. Looks like a special function was specifically engineered for this.

I had about 10k images and it only took about a minute.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 01:05:33 am »

This RC is definitely a step forward with respect to the responsiveness of the develop module. Whilst it's still not snappy and there is a lag between the screen updating after the sliders are moved, it is finally workable.
It also went through my catalogue and retrieved tone curve settings, curious as I had already run the recovery script on 4.0, but this time it worked better as previously it had mis-reported some files as having point adjusted tone curves that had no modifications.

Contrary to the comment above; this isn't a beta, so doesn't install beside a current 4.0 installation. It's a release candidate, so it replaces and overwrites LR4.0. I've not found any problems with it yet here, but it may be wise to take the usual precautionary measures of ensuring a good back up before installation.

Rather a shame they didn't have this in place at release, it was well reported when in beta.

stamper

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 04:29:34 am »

Contrary to the comment above; this isn't a beta,

Definition of beta.

http://webtrends.about.com/od/glossary/g/beta_define.htm

richarddd

• flickr photostream
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 07:33:43 am »

I'm not sure why anyone should care whether it's a beta, and arguing definitions almost always generates more heat than light, but a release candidate is a type of beta.  As wikipedia puts it: "A release candidate (RC) is a beta version with potential to be a final product."

mac_paolo

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 08:30:42 am »

I'm not sure why anyone should care whether it's a beta, and arguing definitions almost always generates more heat than light, but a release candidate is a type of beta.  As wikipedia puts it: "A release candidate (RC) is a beta version with potential to be a final product."
Not at all!
A beta is a version with still a number of known bugs to be fixed. A Release Candidate is exactly 100% 1:1 the final version unless someone raises a hand to tell the developers she or he found another bug.
There's a HUGE difference. A beta version is not suited for production environments while a RC -may- be.

richarddd

• flickr photostream
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 11:37:22 am »

Your argument is with wikipedia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Release_candidate

Another take:   The ‘release candidate’ label indicates that software  is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing before it is distributed all customers.  The final release may have additional changes.

As mentioned, arguing definitions is pointless.  It can be entertaining though

edit:  to put this in some context, consider that the 4.0 release had bugs that many considered more severe than the 4.0 beta.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:04:31 pm by richarddd »

stamper

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 07:31:20 am »

I'm not sure why anyone should care whether it's a beta.

Unquote

Some people may think that 4.01 is the ultimate up-date, so it is important to point out it is in fact beta and there will be a further up-date.....or more?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 09:25:14 am »

I'm not sure why anyone should care whether it's a beta,
In the specific case of Adobe products; The way the product installs is different.
I'm happy to install Adobe betas as they install in addition to the existing product, so there's less risk of loosing any work. With LR, the betas don't work with existing catalogues, so evaluation can be more involved.
The RCs overwrite existent products, and with LR work with existing catalogues, so extra caution is worthwhile. However the implication in their description suggests they are likely to be reliable products.

That Adobe make the effort to differentiate between the two types of release is significant and shouldn't be ignored.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up