Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10 photographers to ignore  (Read 4736 times)

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
10 photographers to ignore
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:09:12 pm »

Rob C

Re: 10 photographers to ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:47:31 pm »

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/03/10-photographers-you-should-ignore/

I confess I enjoyed it...

"Frank was a one-man revolution. Before him pictures for the most part were pretty and clean and pre-visualized, and shot from a tripod. rank came along and tore a new A-hole in that aesthetic. Fortunately he had something to replace it with: a strong personal vision. Most young photographers who follow in his footsteps don’t. They mistake grain, guts, and verve with substance. Sorry folks, but hitting three out of four doesn’t count. I know it took cajones to shoot that cowboy bar at 1 am pushing your film to 3200, but that doesn’t keep your photo from being boring. Time to shoot something you care about, and don’t try to convince me it’s flags or the underclass.

-- Blake Andrews"

Why would it require someone to have a drawer in order to shoot there?

Rob C

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:56:33 am by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:03:00 pm »

Absolutely, and painters should ignore Michelangelo, and musicians should ignore Puccini, and poets should ignore Eliot, and. . .  It reminds me of that song "Don't know much about history," that goes on to show that the singer doesn't know much about anything.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »

The comments are funny by a bunch of over serious people who just didn't get the point of the article...

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:07:50 am »

It's supposed to be ironic satire, but the authors fail a bit in this attempt. Sadly, many of their ironic criticisms are actual arguments by hipster detractors who consider the early master to be passe in today's contemporary culture, thus the misunderstandings of the commenters. If it wasn't tagged at the top as "humor", I may have misunderstood, as well.

Still, when understood it is rather funny.
"The real voyage of discove

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:55:40 am »

Absolutely, and painters should ignore Michelangelo, and musicians should ignore Puccini, and poets should ignore Eliot, and. . .  It reminds me of that song "Don't know much about history," that goes on to show that the singer doesn't know much about anything.

http://youtu.be/xE6UrZMb71o

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 06:25:02 pm »

http://youtu.be/xE6UrZMb71o

Rob C

Rob - this is at least the 5th example of a link to a youtube video you post which I can't see here in Germany due to copyright issues .....
/%$&/&?)(?=/&)%?) 
 :P

Walter Schulz

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:24:54 pm »

There is a Firefox plug-in called "Stealthy" able to disable this restriction. Or use an anonymizer like Tor.
Didn't the Arab spring told us a lesson how to bypass communication borders? ;-)

Ciao, Walter

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 07:53:42 pm »

There is a Firefox plug-in called "Stealthy" able to disable this restriction. Or use an anonymizer like Tor.
Didn't the Arab spring told us a lesson how to bypass communication borders? ;-)

Ciao, Walter

Oops - I just forgot about that.
I don't regularly use Tor - I had it once but it was awfully slowing my download times at that time, but I'll reinstall it to see Robs vido links....

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 09:09:26 pm »

Well, the writer and you have not ignored them!

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 04:54:16 am »

My Internet computer is slowing down terribly these past few weeks, the worst change happening since the installation of a wifi unit. I didn't seek one, but I had to visit the Telefonica shop on another matter, and when the assistant there saw my 'phone bills she said they could offer a better, cheaper contract with more Spanish TV stations as a bonus to those I already receive via the usual domestic aerial. Why refuse?

Anyway, I now have an additional digibox; more flashing lights, and on the third attempt, the computer is now off wifi and connected to the receiver thing by cable and not radio signal. It still sucks, though, and a little notebook that I could originally connect to the Internet now can't do that.

Do you wonder why I hate 'progresss' and yearn for golden ages?

I see that somebody in Maryland is now able to buy and run a '59 Cadillac, should he/she/they so choose.

;-(

Rob C

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 10:13:52 am »

To Rob C.

No reference to "drawers" at all.  Just an error in the punctuation of C.A. Jones, a photographer with cojones.
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 03:43:43 pm »

To Rob C.

No reference to "drawers" at all.  Just an error in the punctuation of C.A. Jones, a photographer with cojones.

That was my point: is somebody wants to be smart, they should at least get it right. There's a world of difference between testicles, cushions and drawers, though I can certainly imagine a scenario where the confusion of three might come together: reaching into one in order to make a little safer what you might intend to do with a pair of the others whilst lying comfortably on the third option.

May be best to forget it and become a monk.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up