Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quo vadis, Pentax?  (Read 3462 times)

Lacunapratum

Quo vadis, Pentax?
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:48:31 am »

The recent announcement of a new 25mm DA for non-Japanese markets in addition to continued production of the 25mm DFA for Japan has reignited the discussion whether Pentax will ever introduce a larger than 44x33 sensor.  Some are saying that the edges of the 25mm DFA are of lesser quality for digital use, causing Pentax to limit the US model as a DA version with improved flare resistance and perhaps other improvements.  Others are arguing that Pentax is having problems centering the large front lens and is keeping its best lenses for the homeland.  The departure from the DFA designation for at least one of the three new lenses definitely casts doubt over Pentax' ambition to develop a full-frame sensor.  Of course there is the 55mm DFA, which remains unchanged for right now, and the newly announced 90mm DFA.  Recently published Pentax sketches of a 90mm macro lens for the 645D question whether the massive lens barrel of the 90 serves to accommodate a full frame sensor or whether its size indicates a housing for the extensive focusing gear required for a medium format macro lens.  In addition, the recently introduced concept zoom lenses may be indicative of a smaller sensor design. 

These random rumors and speculations prompt two questions for those who are invested in the Pentax system. 
1.    Which of the two 25mm is a better purchase?  Will the 25mm DA be superior on the 645D?  Or is the 25mm DFA for the Japanese market a more useful investment in light of future full frame sensor developments?  One could also wonder whether the larger front element of the DFA model is more likely to evenly illuminate the corners of the 44x33 sensor compared with its DA counterpart.   ???
2.   Will Pentax ever have a full-frame body?  In spite of the advantages of a larger sensor, Pentax/Ricoh might just realize that for their customer base the smaller sensor is more attractive as it saves costs both in terms of camera and in terms of future lenses.  In this case, Pentax would directly compete with the Leica S2 for smaller sensor SLRs, leaving the large sensor to Hasselblad, Phase, and whatever is left of the Hy6.   ???
Unfortunately, investments in medium format gear are quite costly.  Perhaps some of you are better informed or have more insightful guesses, thus I thought I’d ask here what your predictions are. 

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Quo vadis, Pentax?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18:44 am »

What lenses does Pentax produce in Japan that they don't produce for here...I thought the only lens that they sell new in the US is the 55mm f/2.8 normal lens...are they producing other new lenses for other places in the world?
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

tsjanik

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:43:27 pm »

I have no special knowledge of the DA version of the 25mm or Pentax’s plans, but I have a few comments on your post.  The DA version is the same weight and size as the D FA and appears identical externally other than an extended shade, so my suspicion is that is the only modification.  Where did you get the impression that there is a difference in the front element sizes?  The rationale of offering the D FA version only in Japan and the reduced coverage DA version to the rest of the world  at the same price is a mystery, but seems a PR disaster (at least in the rest of the world).  The D FA lens has CA even on the 645D, it is possible that Pentax believes that the performance would be unacceptable on a full frame 645DII, so a possible interpretation of this rebadging of the 25mm is that Pentax does plan a full frame 645 but is not prepared to allow the use of 25mm, limiting its use to the smaller sensor 645D.  The 35mm FA and the proposed F DA zoom would already be very wide on full frame.
The size of the 90mm D FA is not a consequence of coverage, the 67 90mm f2.8 is smaller than the 645 lens and yet has a larger image circle.  If not a macro, I have no idea why the 645 lens appears so large.

Brian, most new 645 lenses are available in Japan , UK, Europe and Asia.  Check Amazon Japan if interested.
Tom
Current road map:

http://photorumors.com/2012/02/14/lens-roadmap-for-pentax-645-and-q-mounts/

Lacunapratum

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:25:22 am »

Excellent response, Tom.  Another forum was speculating about difficulties in centering the large front element and I just assumed they had reduced it in the DA version, but perhaps not.  What you are saying makes perfectly sense.  I guess we'll see new DFA lenses for all other focal lengths, except the 25mm. 

And yes, Brian, the full frame 25mm DFA is continuously available in Japan, while the 44x33 DA version of the 25mm will be shipped to the rest of the world. 

The Pentax 645 series had a significant following in Japan, perhaps in tandem with Asahi Pentax, the company.   This level of popularity was never reached elsewhere, in part due to unfavorable reviews of the 645 in Western magazines pointing to the lack of interchangable magazines (instead of inserts) and slow X synchronization.  These reviews did not do justice to the elegant concept and outstanding quality, both of the body and the optics, easily surpassing the standard offering of the competition.  Eventually, the 645 found some acceptance among wedding photographers, who have by now switched to smaller formats.  In contrast, the Pentax 645 system had a loyal following in Japan, with thousands swarming out every spring in search of Lotus blossoms and Mount Fuji.  These photographers cherished their Pentax 645 system, and they are now the target customers of the 25mm full frame DFA lens.  I guess Pentax speculates that the majority of the non-Japanese customers have by now converted to the 645D or are new 645D users. 

I was concerned that the DA might be a lesser version of the 25mm, but Tom's interpretation makes perfectly sense.  Pentax might have been better off communicating the issue more clearly or offering both versions everywhere.

DandA

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:04:19 am »

When I go back to stock images of both Pentax 645 25mm lenses, it does apepar that the DA version has a smaller front element when compared to the D-FA version.  Whether that is actual fact its hard to say without having both lenses in hand or someone actually measures the diameter of the front elements of both. So maybe there is something to the suggestion that there is more of a difference between both versions of this lens other than the slightly elongated hood on the DA version.

Dave (DandA)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:15:03 pm by DandA »

Lacunapratum

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:46:06 pm »

Thanks, DandA.  I had the same impression. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up