Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I edit a previously made softproof  (Read 2331 times)

walter.sk

How do I edit a previously made softproof
« on: March 28, 2012, 04:54:44 pm »

So I processed an image in LR4, edited it in CS6Beta (my Nik Filters work in CS6), brought it back to LR4 (after saving it under a distinctive name and then re-synchronizing the folder).  I selected that file, hit "S", and made a proof copy of the file with my printer profile.  No problem adjusting the right-hand VC to look like the left side image, so I successfully went to the Print module and made a good print of it.  Great!

Later, I wanted to have the adjusted softproof come up on the right side along with the above-mentioned edited tiff.  But selecting it and the softproofed VC, I could not get them to come up properly.  What I would like to do is bring up the tiff, have it then appear as a soft proof, and then compare that with my adjusted softproofed VC that I printed from.

I tried several different ways of selecting the files, but none gave me what I wanted. 

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
Re: How do I edit a previously made softproof
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:14:37 pm »

aduke

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:52:06 pm »

When you've opened the softproof VC and selected side-by-side, another control opens. This control allows you to select the source of the non-VC side of the display. It seems to default to "Master copy."  This is probably not what you wanted. In the case I worked through, the master copy was the original image, in PV2010 and not the copy that was used in the making the softproof, which was a VC updated to PV2012, with completely different development.

Check your choices, maybe there is an image listed that is what you want.

Alan

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:23:28 pm »

When you've opened the softproof VC and selected side-by-side, another control opens. This control allows you to select the source of the non-VC side of the display. It seems to default to "Master copy."  This is probably not what you wanted. In the case I worked through, the master copy was the original image, in PV2010 and not the copy that was used in the making the softproof, which was a VC updated to PV2012, with completely different development.

Check your choices, maybe there is an image listed that is what you want.

Alan
Thanks, Gerald & Alan.  I checked out Gerald's link and your suggestion, Alan.  Neither gives me what I'm looking for.
Trying Alan's solution put the VC on the left, the final-edited tiff on the right, but gave me a way only to edit the tiff, not the VC.

I tried selecting the final version Tiff on the left and the VC on the right, then going to Develop.  Without going to Softproof, I was able to edit the VC to look more like the tiff.  However, I'm not sure if that is really doing what I want, which is be adjust the VC better than it had been.

If Jeff Shewe or DigitalDog come across this and understand what I am trying to do, I'd appreciate some input; namely, answers to these questions:

1) With the final version of my tiff on the left and the VC with the name that includes my paper profile on the right, does the display show the original file correctly and the previously-made Softproof VC with the profile also show correctly (as it would print) even without the paper border that would come up if I were to hit "S"?

2) If so, then if I were to further adjust the VC to better match the original, would I be accomplishing what I want, or would there be some kind of double profiling happening?

If this method is not correct, is there a way to accomplish what I want?

aduke

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 03:16:21 pm »

I just made another experiment. I've have a stack of four images, the raw image, processed in LR4, a TIF in which I did some cloning, a VC of the TIF, which I've named sp,  and a softproof VC of the VC of the TIF, whose copy name is the name of the profile. Here is what I did.

1. Select the softproof VC. Enter the Develop module and select softproofing, then select side-by-side. The Before copy says Master Copy.

2. Open the Before drop-down list. It shows four choices, saved state (there is none), master copy, the VC of the TIF (indicated by its copy name), and the softproof VC (also indicated by its copy name.)

3. Select the the VC of the TIF as the before copy. The softproof copy is on the right, the image that was the base for the softproof VC on the left.

4. Move some sliders, in this case, HSL saturation and see the changes to the right-side image.

5. Turn off softproof and enter single image mode and see the changes made in the sliders.

So, I think that I have edited the softproof VC.

When my printer is usable again, I'll print both and look for differences.

I hope this helps.

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up