Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spokane Washington  (Read 2657 times)

John Camp

Spokane Washington
« on: April 04, 2005, 11:53:23 am »

Absolutely: if you have a car available...

The farming landscape west of Spokane is amazing; just go out there and drive around. There have been a number of photo books shot in the area, and some of the best landscape photography is done there; but it's not one place -- it's sort of all over the place. The only thing I can think of that it reminds me of is central Italy, but in a much broader, American style. I drove through there last summer on a really hot day, and there was a farmer out working with a tractor, kicking up a lot of dust. The dust was picked up in a dust devil (whirlwind) that must have extended 500 feet over his head, this giant tornado-like thing following behind the little green John Deere tractor. We saw a couple of dozen dust devils that day...
In a more subtle way, it's a landscape as engaging as any of the canyon country or New Mexico landscapes, in my opinion. Just take I-90 west out of Spokane and then wander off to the north...

JC

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Spokane Washington
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 04:45:58 pm »

the Palouse region looks incredibly interesting - Google Images for Steptoe Butte Palouse

Eli

• www.burakphotography.com
Spokane Washington
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 11:42:55 am »

I'm heading out to Spokane Washington during the last week in April.  Does anybody know of any scenic locations to photograph around there?

thanks!

burakphotography.com

Peter McLennan

Spokane Washington
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 01:10:07 pm »

I agree with John, only I suggest you head south, not west.  For a day trip from Spokane you should take US 195 south to the towns south and west of Colfax and Pullman.  They're the heart of the Palouse, one of America's most scenic faming areas.  It's been featured several times in National Geographic.

Your timing is good,  the rolling fields will be green with winter wheat.

Eli

• www.burakphotography.com
Spokane Washington
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 09:07:46 am »

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.  Now I'm really looking forward to going there (and testing out my new D2X!)

-Eli
Pages: [1]   Go Up