Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Default Color Calibration Software Package for an iMac on OSX  (Read 2292 times)

rurouni

Am currently choosing between a Colormunki Display, i1Display Pro and the Spyder 4 Elite for my iMac. Where I live, thr i1Dp and the S4E are both the same price with the Colomunki Display approximately 75USD cheaper than both.

Reading up on all the various articles and forums, it seems that either of the three will suit my needs (i.e. Using an iMac 27" as a primary photo editing station and also to color match the iMac with a Mac Book Air)

As I won't be venturing into custom software like coloreyes etc, and plan to use the default manufacturers' software suite, should I be aware of any software conflicts/issues with either the Xrite or Datacolor package on OSX Lion?

Ideally the package with the least bloated software suite (doesn't load unnecessary processes) would be my preference. Any help on this area would be appreciated :) Also, if I should be considering one puck over another regardless of the software suite, please do let me know as well!

I have been previously lurking on the forums trying to learn a little more about color management, figured this would be a good time to stop relying on eyeball mk1 as I will be helping a couple of friends with some extensive photo edits soon. Thanks!

Mac Mahon

Re: Default Color Calibration Software Package for an iMac on OSX
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:37:06 pm »

i1Dp works well on my iMac with OS 10.7.3.  No s/w issues.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:37:22 pm »

The  i1 Display Pro with i1 Profiler is my preferred  display only calibration and profiling solution.

rurouni

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »

Thanks for the quick replies all. I read this post on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/review/R2GSDQXGYPHAJ2/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2GSDQXGYPHAJ2) where the user claims to be facing a memory leak issue with the iprofiler ambient measurement utility on the i1 display pro.

Is anyone else facing this issue on OSX Lion? Perhaps I should just get the Colormunki Display since it appears to be running on a different software set?

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:17:34 am »

I don't use the ambient light monitoring tool, and never have. For one thing it means you have to keep a USB 2.0 port occupied and the colorimeter on your desk in the same light as your display.

I'd be interested to see more informed views, like those of Andrew Rodney, before using it.

The ColorMunki Display has a similar if not identical ambient light monitoring option.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:19:25 am by Ellis Vener »

howardm

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:54:51 am »

How about uninformed?   :D

and even at that (USB port consumption), I dont really see the point  as long as the editing area is in the ballpark of dim-'ish'.  Offhand,
I dont recall what the ISO(?) spec is # of lux but it's pretty low.  BasICColor has a whole module for this sort of thing.

Between other factors like what screen background color and brightness (is there a hood attached?) and viewing, why do you need ambient light measurement on all the time?  Measure it during the calibration (almost all of the 'better' software (I use BasICColor or Argyll or ColorMunki) (I dont think Spectraview does though) have that function) and be done.

I'd really rather try to put more effort into print viewing conditions.

mac_paolo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 10:11:29 am »

I use an i1Display Pro under OS X 10.7.3 with no issues on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:40 am »

The  i1 Display Pro with i1 Profiler is my preferred  display only calibration and profiling solution.
Yep, I think that's the way to go right now, at least for demanding pros.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up