Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 warranty extension  (Read 4878 times)

Roscolo

z3100 warranty extension
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:36:19 pm »

So, my belt on my z3100 is looking pretty ragged now (almost 5 years). So, I need to replace it, or just buy another printer, or both.

I see a "warranty extension" can be had. I remember some talk on here that one could perhaps buy the warranty extension even if one's printer is out of warranty (obviously mine is), essentially getting the belt replacement done for $800. Has anyone done this, or maybe that's just people who have paid for the warranty every year. Economically that doesn't make much sense, as for that money, in my case, I have saved enough by not extending the warranty to pretty much pay for a brand new printer.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:58:21 pm by Roscolo »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: z3100 warranty extension
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:44 pm »

i wrote about HP extended warranties recently, which HP calls Care Packages, in the following thread:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=62088.msg499607#msg499607

That said, a few weeks ago i replaced the belt in my Z3100. It was a PITA to do, but is a very doable task if you are comfortable with this kind of thing and most importantly, if you are willing to take the time to do the job.

Hint #1: There is a link to a good video around here that covers the task.
Hint #2: Put the small parts for each procedure in a clearly labeled plastic bag.
Hint #3: Pay close attention to which screw size goes where.
Hint #4  Download the service manual before you start.
Hint #5: While you have the printer apart, do a re-seating of all electrical connections.

The disassembly took me about 3 hours and the cleaning and re-assembly took another day or so. Were i to do another one, i could do it in a fraction the time that the original go required.

namartinnz

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:01:18 am »

I'll back up what Justan says - Fellow member Kaleria made a great video covering the process of replacing the belt. I slowly did everything step by step. I placed a large bit of blank paper on my work table and drew boxes with labels for placement of all removed components in each section. Took a while to do, but 2nd time around would be heaps easier. Works like a charm with an after market belt.

Neal

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:35:26 am »

Check the video from Kaleria, I have also changed the belt on my Z3100. HP service here in Milan (Italy) is working in franchising with blatant ripoff prices - like 80 Euro for a phone call to pay in advance.

Roscolo

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »

The one year care pack for $800 might be worth it. Looks like I'll probably just do the belt replacement myself. So, you recommend an aftermarket belt, not one made by HP?

Looking at buying another 44" printer anyway. Would prefer to stick with an HP for consistency, but considering the z3100 is no longer available, I'd be looking at a z3200 with different reds. That $1,000 rebate on the Canon that makes it about $1,000 less than the z3200 is looking good. Ends March 31st. Guess I'll make up my mind tomorrow!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:37:04 pm »

I've heard but not seen that the red color in the Z3200 series is greatly improved. I never saw a problem but likely haven’t used enough saturated red to identify a problem.

When I was looking at doing the belt replacement I researched just buying a different printer. I decided that I like the functionality of the integrated colorimeter enough to get another HP…………when the time comes.

Of course, replacing the belt means that I can put off the decision for a while, unless something else fails.

What do people who don’t have a HP Z series do to create paper profiles?

Roscolo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:43:02 pm »

I've heard but not seen that the red color in the Z3200 series is greatly improved. I never saw a problem but likely haven’t used enough saturated red to identify a problem.

When I was looking at doing the belt replacement I researched just buying a different printer. I decided that I like the functionality of the integrated colorimeter enough to get another HP…………when the time comes.

Of course, replacing the belt means that I can put off the decision for a while, unless something else fails.

What do people who don’t have a HP Z series do to create paper profiles?

I hear you. I've not had any big problem with reds on a z3100. Couple of paintings I've repro-ed with a lot of red seemed to suffer, but I've not seen the same print done from a z3200. "Improvement" not as important to me as CONSISTENCY. If I could buy another z3100 I would. I have customers ordering prints of their paintings that they expect to match the prints I did for them 4 years ago. Obviously, changing printers, or print manufacturers changing inks, is problematic to consistency.

I thought perhaps there is a way to use the z3100 to create paper profiles for another printer. That would be the best of both worlds. Probably some info. about that on here somewhere, but I haven't researched it yet. Well, I've got 24 hours before the deal on the Canon evaporates, so I'll do some digging.

namartinnz

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 03:22:01 pm »

I got my belt from here on Kaleria's recommendation - http://www.lpscomputer.com/p-3140-q6659-60175-designjet-z2100-z3100-z3200-44-size-carriage-belt.aspx. Watch his video regarding the 'replacement kit' - they're tools you can easily buy in any hardware shop.

As for buying Canon, just because it's cheaper you may want to look at consumption costs and usage of ink. I don't really know if Canon ink is more expensive/ml - that's what my local rep told me yesterday - prices are different in NZ and with her being biased to selling HP, who knows how much truth there is in this.

I'd be more than happy to replace my Z3100 with a 3200. I'm in the same boat with doing art reproductions. As for exact colour matching, this has always been an issue with matching exactly with the original. You are trying to match water colour/oil paint with pigment inks, as well as varying light conditions so there's bound to be minor differences. I'd expect the same with a different printer - would it be noticeable - possibly. How much it matters is a different thing. Hard call that one. The main thing I always like with the Z3100 is I can run a print at nearly any time and not worry about nozzle blockages.

Neal

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 07:02:45 pm »

I've been using Data Color's "Spyder Print" to make my profiles since day one with my Z3100. You have a lot more control over making your profile than the base profile maker on the HP does. The base profiles from both appear pretty close, but the DataColor software allows you to customize your profile to your heart's content! Also has a B&W mode to closer match B&W prints printed with full color, but the HP is already so neutral in printing B&W, I have never used those target patches from DataColor.

I was also musing about whether I should have ordered one of those "cheap" Canon 8300's before the end of the month, since my extended warranty is up in a few days. I guess, I'll just take a chance. My belt seems to be holding up just fine so far. More worried about the hard drive on the formatter board taking the big crash.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:00 am »

I hear you. I've not had any big problem with reds on a z3100. Couple of paintings I've repro-ed with a lot of red seemed to suffer, but I've not seen the same print done from a z3200. "Improvement" not as important to me as CONSISTENCY. If I could buy another z3100 I would. I have customers ordering prints of their paintings that they expect to match the prints I did for them 4 years ago. Obviously, changing printers, or print manufacturers changing inks, is problematic to consistency.

I thought perhaps there is a way to use the z3100 to create paper profiles for another printer. That would be the best of both worlds. Probably some info. about that on here somewhere, but I haven't researched it yet. Well, I've got 24 hours before the deal on the Canon evaporates, so I'll do some digging.

I would not have thought of using the z3100 to produce profiles for another machine, but don’t know why it wouldn’t work. IIRC there is a feature to import or export the ICC profile(s) in the HP color center.

I bet, over time it is very difficult to get a precise match, but probably easy enough to get pretty close.

I remember a year or so ago HP offered a pretty good discount on their Z series. It’s inevitable that they will again at some point. If possible, I’ll hold off until then.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 10:58:59 am »

I've been using Data Color's "Spyder Print" to make my profiles since day one with my Z3100. You have a lot more control over making your profile than the base profile maker on the HP does. The base profiles from both appear pretty close, but the DataColor software allows you to customize your profile to your heart's content! Also has a B&W mode to closer match B&W prints printed with full color, but the HP is already so neutral in printing B&W, I have never used those target patches from DataColor.

I was also musing about whether I should have ordered one of those "cheap" Canon 8300's before the end of the month, since my extended warranty is up in a few days. I guess, I'll just take a chance. My belt seems to be holding up just fine so far. More worried about the hard drive on the formatter board taking the big crash.

Thanks for the tip about Spyder Print.

Given that computer technology represents the state of the art in planned obsolesce - the HP belt is a classic example - it’s not particularly wise to bet against a component failure; especially a hard drive. But, I’ve seen drives that lasted 8+ years if kept in a reasonably cool environment. This is about double the typical drive life expectancy.

Roscolo

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 01:16:44 pm »

Anything other "designed to fail" parts I should replace when I'm replacing the belt?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 01:28:54 pm »

On mine I noted that there was a lot of junk on a couple of the print heads and replaced 2 of them. All are out of warranty but work okay, or so i thought. I go through about 2x or more of the LG ink as any other. I attributed that to living in the NW, where we have perpetually cloudy skies but evidently I was at least partially wrong. I found that LG was delivered by one of the heads where there was a big mess. Anywho, clean everything thoroughly. Get some lint free wipes, lots of Q tips and use distilled water. Use alcohol to clean electrical contacts, get some air in a can to blow the dust from everything. Make sure that the fans work. Use a vacuum cleaner to pull stuff off after you’ve blasted it with air in a can.

I debated replacing the drive, but because HP provided parts are still available, I decided to put that off for the time.

Other than that stuff, make careful note of anything that looks damaged or frayed and replace as needed.

namartinnz

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 06:43:05 pm »

Make sure you have a close look at the encoding strip for any wear/ink residue. Mine needed a good clean - but in the process I took some of the encoding marks off and needed a replacement. I was having a few paper jam errors while printing before the change. I think this was caused by the dirty strip, the new one cured the jam errors. Luckily my distributor had one in stock so was on next day courier.

Neal

Peter J M

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 12:48:33 am »

atlex.com sells 44 inch Z3200 for $2199 (free shipping). I think they have z3200ps for $200 more if you just need the PS option (you don't). I purchased one last week - no rebates, no tax (NY). I did not realize that HP offer paper promotion - $300) rebate, but you have to purchase printer and paper at the same time (same invoice)... well, I did not do that :-(

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 02:54:54 am »

atlex.com sells 44 inch Z3200 for $2199 (free shipping). I think they have z3200ps for $200 more if you just need the PS option (you don't).

You might though. The HPGL2 driver included in the PS version seems to increase the maximum print length of the Z models. My plain Z3100 does not go over something like 3 meters where my Z3200-PS does at least 5 meters and most likely more. It has been discussed before. The other PS version options may not be that important but there is still more there than just the Postscript interpretation: job log, APS.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Roscolo

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 05:44:01 am »

atlex.com sells 44 inch Z3200 for $2199 (free shipping). I think they have z3200ps for $200 more if you just need the PS option (you don't). I purchased one last week - no rebates, no tax (NY). I did not realize that HP offer paper promotion - $300) rebate, but you have to purchase printer and paper at the same time (same invoice)... well, I did not do that :-(

If I can get a z3200 44 for $2199, they likely just made a sale. I went to their site, though, and the price showing is $3599 for the z3200 44 and $2499 for the z3200 44 PS. And it says both are backordered.

Peter J M

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »

When I purchased my unit, atlex' inventory indicated "back-order" too. I decided to go through the purchase even if I had to wait for it few weeks. Well, I received a call form atlex on the day of my order  - Chris (800-327-2822  x5583) - telling me that they will find one within a day or two that is the closes to the shipping address. Call them on Monday and ask Chris if he can give you the same price as your "college form Buffalo - (Peter)" received on 3/24.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 11:58:27 am »

^ Such a deal!

That is SOOOOOOOOOO tempting! I've been looking for someplace i can put a bigger printer without putting it in the dining room!

The good news is that there is no shortage of volunteers to take custody of my current 24" Z3100...
Pages: [1]   Go Up