Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comments appreciated -- iMac vs Mac Pro & NEC vs Apple displays  (Read 7370 times)

marty m

• http://

I responded to a thread on one of the other LL forums regarding displays, and then realized that it should have been posted here.  That thread is in a forum on camera gear.  I apologize for the cross posting, but I'm more likely to get a response here.  So am posting a modified version of my question.

I'm considering switching from a PC to a Mac.  As far as I can tell, the latest Mac Pro lacks some features of the iMac, such as Thunderbolt?

The most CPU intensive work I'll do is to run Photoshop or Lightroom.  The service manager at the local Apple store said the Mac Pro is overkill for just running Photoshop.  He recommended an iMac.  He recommended an iMac with the base level processor.

But the iMac uses the Apple display, and in other forums, some of you trashed the Apple display, and strongly recommend the NEC display instead.  One person recommended in iMac with the NEC display.

I have the desk space for two monitors.  I would have never thought about two large monitors, but the cost difference makes it possible.  For the price difference between the iMac and Mac Pro, I can buy the iMac and a new NEC monitor.  (The only disadvantage is I need more than 2TB of storage, but I guess an external drive can handle that, and the iMac allows for an external drive using Thunderbolt, especially when the prices drop some.)

(1) HOWEVER, there is one problem with this plan.  As far as I can tell the iMac does not have an external connection for a second monitor.  So is the above even possible?  There is no DVI connection on an iMac.

(2)  NEC PA271W versus NEC MultiSync PA301W-BK.  I assume both models are equally recommended, and the only difference is the slightly larger size in the case of the PA301?

The B&H web site states that the PA271 is an "LCD Flat Panel."  Is that an IPS LCD?   However, the PA301 is an "IPS (CCFL Backlight)."  Do these two use the same technology or not?  If there is a difference, which do you experts recommend?

(3)  I currently have an older NEC 3090WQXi.  Am I correct in my assumption that this older model probably uses a bulb of some sort, whereas the PA301 is a newer IPS LCD.  Similar technology, albeit better, than the Apple display?

(4)  If I decide to install windows as well, what software do all of you recommend to install Windows on a Mac?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Re: Comments appreciated -- iMac vs Mac Pro & NEC vs Apple displays
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:39:28 am »

1) http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9321G/B
4) Apple's bootcamp if you want to natively run windows, Oracle's Virtual Box if you just need to host windows in a VM
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:44:54 am by John.Murray »

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:42:23 am »

I can't answer the rest of your questions, but Thunderbolt does video.

Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

marty m

• http://
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »

Thanks very much for your responses.  I was confused by the photo of the back of the iMac since no video connection is shown.  I didn't realize that Thunderport with an adapter can carry the video connection.   Apple subsequently told me that the iMac can drive two additional monitors, and it can hit 2560 x 1600 resolution.  So the price savings between an iMac and MacPro would pay for an NEC monitor.

I also found this posted on a review on the B&H web site, which might be useful info:  "One note: if you are planning on using this with a Macbook Pro (esp. Early 2011 or later) or other device using a mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt connection, you'll want to pick up the NEC PA-MDP-CABL cable; this is a direct mini DisplayPort to full-size DisplayPort cable, no adapter dongle needed. I'll futher note that I did NOT have success connecting to the PA301W's DVI connection using an Apple mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter."

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »

I would seriously consider the top-end MacMini with thunderbolt hooked up to an NEC monitor.

FWIW The whole MacPro line is sorely in need of an update and overhaul. The fact that it has not been updated for a while casts serious doubt on its future.

I recently purchased the MacMini Server, maxed it out with 16GB of third-party RAM and am delighted with it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »

... I recently purchased the MacMini Server, maxed it out with 16GB of third-party RAM and am delighted with it.

Chris, Apple states that MacMini is "configurable to 8GB". Can it utilize those 16GB you put in it?

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 02:54:51 pm »

I'd go with the 27' iMac + NEC plan along with external storage.  iMac's have had  does have a port for a second display  (I think officially it is a mini DVI so an adapter is needed) for several years now.

Macrumors.com has a fairly reliable Apple buyer's timing guide.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:06:58 pm »

Chris, Apple states that MacMini is "configurable to 8GB". Can it utilize those 16GB you put in it?
Yes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:48:30 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:45:59 pm »

I would seriously consider the top-end MacMini with thunderbolt hooked up to an NEC monitor.

FWIW The whole MacPro line is sorely in need of an update and overhaul. The fact that it has not been updated for a while casts serious doubt on its future.

I recently purchased the MacMini Server, maxed it out with 16GB of third-party RAM and am delighted with it.

Very interesting, Chris.  I've been thinking along the same lines.

I believe Apple will indeed announce a Mac Pro refresh this spring, but I suspect it will be targeted mostly at the commercial video industry and high-end graphic designers.  Increasingly I wonder if the Mini (especially the model with the 750GB, 7200-rpm spindle and perhaps a 256GB SSD) plus a 16GB memory upgrade wouldn't be a good fit for photography and general computing.  (Although I confess I would prefer to have more than 4GB/core memory on a 64-bit machine.)

Some questions:

What was your source for the RAM upgrade?  OWC?
Are you running a second wide-gamut monitor?  (I'm a bit anxious about the capacity of the Intel GPU.)
Are you using your Mini for video editing?
Anything else you think might be relevant to those of us who are facing a near-term purchasing decision?

Chris

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 05:47:41 pm »

Some questions:

What was your source for the RAM upgrade?  OWC?
Are you running a second wide-gamut monitor?  (I'm a bit anxious about the capacity of the Intel GPU.)
Are you using your Mini for video editing?
Anything else you think might be relevant to those of us who are facing a near-term purchasing decision?
- RAM upgrade came from OWC. I made the mistake of buying the 'full' 8GB from Apple and found that it was quite inadequate for my use. 16 GB to me is a minimum (it also happens to be the maximum at this point!)  :-\

- No, I am not - a big NEC did not fit my budget . But I am running Apple's 27" 2560 x 1440 Thunderbolt display which naturally works well and which provides additional ports...

- I fully intend to keep video editing on my 2009 2.66 GHz 8 core MacPro for the near term but have used the MacMini very successfully for editing with FCP7 (which is not 64 bit and therefore memory limited) and have dabbled with FCP X, PS, AE and other 64 bit apps which are also very responsive on it.

- I saw the MacMini as an interim step before any possible new MacPro - but now that I have used it for three months or so, I am not sure that I will need a MacPro even if one is forthcoming. Having one MacMini for 'live' editing and a separate one for rendering will likely serve me well (& I'm $$ ahead I believe). I did buy a Thunderbolt to Express Card adapter so that I could use an eSATA card to access my existing eSATA drive bay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up