Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Successor to Sony A900?  (Read 4083 times)

Codger

Successor to Sony A900?
« on: March 27, 2012, 08:36:33 pm »

I've read that Sony has apparently pulled back their Alpha 850 and 900 bodies, and one person speculated it was the set-up for a new FF DSLR --  a model A0-950, perhaps?  Certainly, the big Sony has needed Live View to be a viable alternative to Nikon and Canon's "Bigs."  Has anyone heard anything plausible?

Sags

Re: Successor to Sony A900?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:26:00 pm »

If you head over to the Dyxum.com forums you can read pages and pages of speculation on it, but nothing has been announced officially.

The only thing that is pretty certain is that it WILL NOT be an SLR, but rather use Sony's translucent fixed mirror (SLT) and electronic viewfinder technology.  Seems Sony is done for good with swinging mirrors and optical viewfinders, which is making more then a few folks like me who are heavily invested in the system but like big bright OVFs a little bit leery about the future.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:15:36 am »

Rumors of a 36X36 sensor. Very exciting!
Eduardo

slowframe

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:03:39 pm »

There is a possibility of their making a 1:1 native crop camera?  Is there any reason to believe this rumour?  That would be very interesting news indeed.

Rumors of a 36X36 sensor. Very exciting!
Eduardo

extra|ordinary

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:07:56 pm »

There is a possibility of their making a 1:1 native crop camera?  Is there any reason to believe this rumour?  That would be very interesting news indeed.

I think there is indeed some logic to Sony making a square sensor FF camera. Seeing as how Sony is determined to stick with the EVF from here on out, it makes sense to make a multi-ratio camera. The EVF, being adaptive, would actually allow you to compose in various aspect ratios, where as an OVF would not.

Furthermore, a full 36mmx36mm sensor would allow you to shoot in the native 3:2, 4:3, or 5:4 format in either portrait or landscape with no need to physically rotate the camera. You could instead have a dedicated button to instantly change orientation.

Of coarse the main attraction here is the ability to shoot at different ratios while still making full use of the 43mm image circle. However, this could also be problematic for lenses with fixed hoods or rear mounted baffles.

All I know for sure is that I would happily pay for such a camera...especially if it is mirrorless. I could care less for the SLT design.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 09:23:10 pm »

It's not a 36mm x 36m square.  It's a 30 x 30mm square. On a 36 mp sensor, that crops on a 2:3 ratio to just about 24 mp.

uaiomex

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:25:26 pm »

I agree. Sony is determined to be an alternative camera maker. Sony as a camera maker is the company that do things different, I like that. They should fully partner with Zeiss to round things.
Eduardo

I think there is indeed some logic to Sony making a square sensor FF camera. Seeing as how Sony is determined to stick with the EVF from here on out, it makes sense to make a multi-ratio camera. The EVF, being adaptive, would actually allow you to compose in various aspect ratios, where as an OVF would not.

Furthermore, a full 36mmx36mm sensor would allow you to shoot in the native 3:2, 4:3, or 5:4 format in either portrait or landscape with no need to physically rotate the camera. You could instead have a dedicated button to instantly change orientation.

Of coarse the main attraction here is the ability to shoot at different ratios while still making full use of the 43mm image circle. However, this could also be problematic for lenses with fixed hoods or rear mounted baffles.

All I know for sure is that I would happily pay for such a camera...especially if it is mirrorless. I could care less for the SLT design.

uaiomex

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:05 pm »

Lonnie, this is a link to an article of mine published at The Online Photographer 2 months ago. The 36X36 sensor is possible. Please read it.
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/01/squares.html
Regards
Eduardo

It's not a 36mm x 36m square.  It's a 30 x 30mm square. On a 36 mp sensor, that crops on a 2:3 ratio to just about 24 mp.

douglasf13

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:45:48 pm »

The question is, would such a sensor be financially viable.  My guess is no, but I hope I'm wrong.

slowframe

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 12:50:09 am »

The question is, would such a sensor be financially viable.  My guess is no, but I hope I'm wrong.

I worry about this, too.  Although I think many photographers like 5:4 and 1:1 compositions, as I certainly do, a camera that doesn't maximise sensor area and pixel count for 2:3 or 4:3 might not be attractive to important segments of the camera-purchasing public.  I imagine the main selling point would be the ability to change the composition's orientation without changing that of the camera.  At any rate, it's certainly something to which I'd give a serious look.

extra|ordinary

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 03:23:25 am »

You're absolutely right. A 1:1 would only require a 30.6mm x 30.6mm square, but by implementing an oversized 36mm x 36mm sized sensor, one would could still shoot at the native 3:2 with no need to crop. The idea is not necessarily to use the entire sensor at once, but rather to allow for different ratios to be used with no change in resolution, or diagonal FOV.

For example, out of the total 36mm x 36mm sensor, only the following portions would used:
3:2 - 36mm x 24mm
4:3 - 34.4mm x 25.8mm
5:4 - 33.6mm x 26.9mm
1:1 - 30.6 mm x 30.6mm

That said, having the ability to make use of the full 36mm x 36mm sensor, with adapted MF glass for instance, would be a great side benefit if Sony were to allow for it.

hjulenissen

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 06:21:04 am »

That said, having the ability to make use of the full 36mm x 36mm sensor, with adapted MF glass for instance, would be a great side benefit if Sony were to allow for it.
Also, capturing the entire sensor, even if corners are dark/unsharp, gives greater flexibility when cropping/lense-distortion-correcting in post.

-h
Pages: [1]   Go Up