Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss Cube Head  (Read 7881 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Arca Swiss Cube Head
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 03:54:19 am »

Hi,

I'm going to find a 3.5 mm allen key. Thanks for the tip, especially about Arca not using Loctite.

Actually, I don't hate the Arca QR, but I guess that I will be more lucky with an RRS.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Eric,
Thought you'd be interested, based on postings we did some 8 or so months ago. Sorry I was so slow to post back.

It's just a metric hex wrench AKA allen key/wrench. Pretty sure it's 3.5mm which can be a little hard to find in N. America, but a good hardware store will have one.

I used just the right amount of force to remove the Arca ;)

Actually it didn't require any excessive force at all. Just about what I expected. No sign of lock-tite. It is a stainless screw threaded into aluminum, so it's not going to be over-tight due to the danger of stretching the threads. And that's a good thing to remember when putting the RRS on: don't over-tighten. It's a somewhat shallow set of threads that are engaged.

There is an anti-rotate pin in the D4 top pan that will fit into a large recess in the B2 LRII, and if you rotate the new clamp counter-clockwise until it stops before tightening, it will do it's job of preventing any possible rotation of clamp on the base that could lead to loosening.

Go ahead and do it! You've been wanting to for a long time.
Erik Kaffehr

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 12:22:02 pm »

I used a narrow walled socket head and wrench instead of an Allen wrench/key to remove the bolts on my Arca-Swiss p0 and p1 heads. I am fairly sure that the bolt on the C1 and D4 is the same.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 01:52:33 am »

Ellis,

The bolts are different, unfortunately. Anyway I have a 3.5 mm hex key on order.

Best regards
Erik

I used a narrow walled socket head and wrench instead of an Allen wrench/key to remove the bolts on my Arca-Swiss p0 and p1 heads. I am fairly sure that the bolt on the C1 and D4 is the same.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:23:04 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

SpiritShooter

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 04:59:53 pm »

After an unfortunate accident with my Arca QR Clamp, I elected to replace it with a RRS screw type clamp.

I was driving to the racetrack in Death Valley. The road vibration loosened the clamp and the screws, nuts and springs fell apart in the back of my vehicle. Needless to say, it took me hours to try to salvage a bad situation. After that, I swore that I would never use one of the Arca QR clamps again.

Here is a picture of what I now use.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up