Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My dealer says "Nikon to announce a D4(x)(s) or Whatever the designation will be  (Read 2186 times)

SpiritShooter

And the dance continues.....

Went to pick up some stuff today and my dealer told me that according to his factory rep, he is expecting another Nikon announcement. This time a D4 series with the same sensor as the D800 but with faster FPS shooting.

Oh my, what is one to think. :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:56:55 pm by SpiritShooter »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond

Don't bother thinking about vaporware... If you need something today, buy it and be done with it. Otherwise, you vacillate, start into analysis-paralysis, chase rumors, instead of taking what you have and going out and shooting.

Get over it and go out and make great photos!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

I don't think this is very likely. The D3x was not significantly faster than the D800 and very few Nikon photographers would be interested in buying a more expensive body for one fps. Besides, the limitation in terms of speed is probably with sensor readout and is not likely to be easily lifted.

A D800H based on the D4 sensor is also pretty unlikely because the D800 appears to have high ISO performance very close to that of the D4 up to ISO 12,800 which is reasonably the highest one really needs for all but sports applications.

My view is that the next DSLR announcement from Nikon will be a D7000 dot upgrade to be followed by a D400 that could either be a DX high end or FX low end body.

But frankly, the D800 is likely to be all we'll need for the coming 5 years if not longer.

Add a few mandatory missing lenses and that's it...  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

BJL

...  the limitation in terms of speed is probably with sensor readout and is not likely to be easily lifted.
Agreed: as I have been arguing for some time, the frame rate limits of higher resolution DSLR options have been due to sensor read-out and processing speed limits, as shown by the frame rates being lower than on film cameras from some years earlier. (And thus the lower resolution of high frame rate options is primarily a constraint of being designed for that high frame rate, with better per pixel lab results at best a secondary advantage, and at worst marketing spin.)

The recent actions of both Nikon and Canon strongly suggest that there is no longer much market for the combination of ultra-rugged body with integrated vertical grip and ultra-high resolution; I very much doubt that either Canon or Nikon is going to pull an "oh, and one more thing", and reveal a D4X or 1DsMk4 type camera.

P. S. dealers and distributers very rarely get this sort of inside scoop, so any story of a previously undisclosed coming attraction attributed to such sources gets little credence from me.

SpiritShooter

Yeah, I didn't give it much credence either.

I do have an 800E on order, wish it were here today, but as they say...some things are worth the wait.
Thanks

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com

I'm a Canon user. Very disappointed for the last 2-3 years with Canon sensor technology. Glass is another story. I'm not switching systems for the time being but I'm holding buying any expensive dslr of lenses till further notice. At least for the next six months.
Eduardo

I don't think this is very likely. The D3x was not significantly faster than the D800 and very few Nikon photographers would be interested in buying a more expensive body for one fps. Besides, the limitation in terms of speed is probably with sensor readout and is not likely to be easily lifted.

A D800H based on the D4 sensor is also pretty unlikely because the D800 appears to have high ISO performance very close to that of the D4 up to ISO 12,800 which is reasonably the highest one really needs for all but sports applications.

My view is that the next DSLR announcement from Nikon will be a D7000 dot upgrade to be followed by a D400 that could either be a DX high end or FX low end body.

But frankly, the D800 is likely to be all we'll need for the coming 5 years if not longer.

Add a few mandatory missing lenses and that's it...  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

Went to pick up some stuff today and my dealer told me that according to his factory rep, he is expecting another Nikon announcement. This time a D4 series with the same sensor as the D800 but with faster FPS shooting.

Interesting.  As a dealer who talks to "sales" reps (not sure why a dealer would refer to them as a factory rep), reps can lose their job VERY quickly if they get caught spilling any inside info.  Every email is monitored, Facebook accounts are watched.  Even when the entire world knows an announcement is coming the rep normally won't admit it until it's officially released.

I won't say it won't happen, but then I wonder who would buy it? The D4 seems to be perfect for the market it is designed for.

JimU

• http://

don't trust sales people.  the only thing they are good at is loving the amount of words coming out of their own mouth.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com

I think your dealer is full of it, just like most dealers. If Nikon were going to release such a camera, it would have come before the D800, not after.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up