Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody ever gone back to 35mm after MFD?  (Read 17886 times)

archivue

Re: Anybody ever gone back to 35mm after MFD?
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 03:02:19 pm »

i'm spending a lot of time in front of my computer with my files... i must prefer working with leaf aptus 22 files than canon 5DII...
my canon stuff gets stolen, till then, i'm using an aptus II 7 with great success !
The fact that i can use the back on an arca swiss F line for the studio, an arca RM3D for architecture, and everything else with the DF is a good point !
I was was using only the DF, i would tried a Nikon D800...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 06:21:33 pm »

I must say i would like to see Nikon 800E files possibly they might enable
a switch to a fully 35mm based system , but not too excited from what i have
seen of the Nikon 800 files.

Including these? http://www.bezergheanu.com/TestNikon/Test-Nikon-D800/22087378_KqWcB7#!i=1763885715&k=BN6QTnD

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »

But its big different from 35 mm to MD, even Bernard will say no...Love U too

I guess it is probably safer to agree with you.

Just one question though, where from was the cow you ate?

Cheers,
Bernard

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 08:51:41 pm »

Speaking about cows coming home -
it reminds me of a story about the Southern Utah farmer who replied, when asked about the Bryce Canyon, that it was a helluwa place to lose a cow.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:39:33 pm by LesPalenik »

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 09:08:23 pm »

Including these? http://www.bezergheanu.com/TestNikon/Test-Nikon-D800/22087378_KqWcB7#!i=1763885715&k=BN6QTnD

Cheers,
Bernard

Those are.....pretty impressive.....and I bought an IQ180 and a D4 why again?

I'll comfort myself while falling to sleep tonight telling myself the IQ180 has better DR and the D4 is better at uh High ISO? (Hopefully) or FPS or something
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 02:51:03 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes Bernard those look great , i shoot forestry as well as pretty much everything , i think the extra resolution would be very
nice in that situation.
I switched from Nikon years ago it would be expensive to go Nikon again , but something to mull over , one system would be nice
with the best glass one could buy.
Thank you for the link.
Regards
Terence
http://www.terencehogben.co.za
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

leeonmaui

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 03:03:05 am »

Aloha,

Shooting with the Pentax 645D
after about 6 months, my system is pretty well built out.

I would never consider shooting my landscapes with 35mm again.
I don't care how much they jack into the sensor...

donkittle

• Don Kittle Photography
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 02:07:21 pm »

Terence, I agree - the files from the D800 just don't impress me at all. 

I owned a D3X and loved the colors from it, but not even that sensor had that "edge acuity" from the -ancient- Leaf Aptus 22 I'm using on a Mamiya AFD-II.  The MF camera has all kinds of quirks, the DB is sometimes not recognized by the body, the body quits auto-focusing so I have to remove the battery pack and re-insert it to get things working again; but I love the shots I get out of the camera.  I still routinely shoot with a D3S but there is no comparison.

I've got a D800E on order, we'll see if that leads to sharper images like the Leaf delivers.
~ Don in Toronto

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 02:09:06 pm »

I've got a D800E on order, we'll see if that leads to sharper images like the Leaf delivers.

It won't its all a function of sensor size....simple as that...
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

EinstStein

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 03:36:33 am »

I had Hasselblad CF22, and I used it with both Contax 645 and Hasselblad 500CM and Flexbody. I had every Contax 645 lenses and most popular Hasselblad V lenses.
But now my primary kit is M9 + 50/f2 + 135/f4. I'll get 25mm for my net trip.

I rarely print beyond 24inch. For these size, M9 is good enough. It's hard to say which is better, Zeiss (Hasselblad/Contax) or Leica, neither is replacible, but the convenience of Leica M system is unbeatable.

bcooter

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 05:11:46 am »

Unless your sponsored by a camera company, give camera company seminars, or sell cameras (which in a way covers all three of the above) this doesn't really matter and honestly if you fall into one of those groups your validity on camera selection comes with an agenda, though it doesn't mean the agenda is wrong, or not honest, it just means there is a built in bias.

Shoot what you want, shoot multiple systems/brands, shoot what is right for you and for the creative brief.  I just don't believe it's a one camera fits all world and the only real suggestion I have to anyone selecting a camera is if you buy right, you'll use that camera until the paint falls off.

I can draw you a thousand instances where on a specific day a RED is better than a 5d2, a FS100, a Hasselblad, a Leica or a Nikon,  but it all comes to two reasons to make your selection.  1.  Do you like to use that specific camera and 2.  Doe the camera your using enhance what you shooting not limiting it.

I recently returned from Europe where I carried 4 camera systems, 2 REDS, 1 Canon, 1 Sony and used them all and honestly they were all scene, subject, dependent.

We never made the mistake of saying to ourselves, heck I paid _______ for the expensive camera and I better damn well use it, or the opposite which is the smaller camera works faster, so screw it, I'll just make my life easy.

Good photography ain't easy, but I see photos on this and every site where I can tell the artist locked themselves down to the wrong equipment for the scene . .  at least that's my opinion.

This argument will rage on until all photography is done on an I-phone, but at the end of the day, if you print a 44: print, even from a 6 mpx camera, the world will go wow.  Big always looks impressive.

Also at the end of the day, a blad, a Nikon, A canon, A RED, A sony, A _______ all are very, very, good cameras . . . just different.

Difference is good.

BC
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:41:57 am by bcooter »

theguywitha645d

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:25 am »

...but at the end of the day, if you print a 44: print, even from a 6 mpx camera, the world will go wow.  Big always looks impressive...

+1

TMARK

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 11:48:53 am »

Brian H., you wrote "It won't its all a function of sensor size....simple as that..."

I don't think this is true.  Just look at Leica M8 files.  The M8 of course is a non-AA filter CCD camera, however, and I suspect that this is the reason for the sometimes brutal sharpness, along with the Leica lenses.

I sold just about everything and started on a Khmer Year Zero policy, now that I rarely shoot professionaly.  The only things I kept are my M6 and a Summicron 35mm F2, a Nikon Fm2, and a Nikon F4.  These I kept for sentimental reasons. I also kept a Leaf Aptus 75s in H mount and my Nikon lenses.  I ordered both flavors of the D800 and bought an X100 last week.  If the Nikons don't do it for me I'll buy an H2 for the Leaf.  The X100 thus far is pretty good.  In many ways I prefer it to the M8 and M9 I sold. 

Whether or not 35mm or MFD is for you is a personal choice based mor ethan anything on your working approach and your training.  If you come from a documentary background you may see a picture and try to get it, and develop the composition as you start shooting if you see something else in the subject after you take that first frame.  This is how I work, and how Annie L. works as well, which is why I prefer a system that lets me improvise and doesn't get in the way of that process.  This is why Annie L uses her Canon more than anything else.  Other people work differently and that's fine, and maybe an MFDB doesn't get in the way of their process.  I think that in realistic terms the IQ difference between the high end DSLRs and most MFDB's isn't enough to require that a DMF sytem be used over a DSLR.  That should not be the deciding factor.  Your creative process should be the deciding factor, because at the end of the day, that extra IQ from the back is not going to show when the substance of the photo is compromised by using a system that gets in your way.  essentially, just choose what works for you, like most lady photographers I know.  They just use what works for them and their creative process.  For some its  a tripod mounted H 503CW with a tehered only Sinar 54m and 18000 watts of Broncolour, while for others its a 5d.  Neither is wrong.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »

As far as great imagery, the camera is not going to be the deciding factor. There are great APS-c and 35mm systems out there. The camera is certainly a personal/creative choice by the photographer. Format size also impacts results. I don't mean to say bigger is better, but rather it is another factor in the process that present advantages and disadvantages--I like the DoF my E-P1 gives me at large apertures, just like I like the DoF my MFD gives me at large apertures.

There is one thing though I think needs to be addressed. MFD are not simply tripod cameras. There is really no difference between my Pentax 645D and any other DSLR. Handholding MFD for documentary work is easy as well. There is not some mystical bar that MFD, or even the new D800, set in terms of usability. Just in terms of technical quality (which I do not think is the most important aspect of photography), my 645D always is better than my EP1, even with motion blur from slow shutter speeds. I wish folks would let their hair down around MFD.

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 04:12:31 pm »

Unfortunately i cannot handhold my Aptus 75 with ease , especially with the Hasselblad  500CM mirror
clunking down and spoiling the shot , but i do get your point most modern MFDC are well able in this regard.
And maybe its my eyes at 52 but i battle to get accurate focus with the lens fairly wide open , so for me its
a tripod mounted shooting style and mirror lock up before i fire with a cable release , this drives me to my
5D mk2 but the quality of the Aptus forces me back to the Aptus.
You could say i have a love hate relationship with the camera. I am going to have to keep loving the cameras
i have though , business is sporadic at best. ;D

Rgds
Terence
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:14:08 pm by Terence h »
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 04:41:28 pm »

Unfortunately i cannot handhold my Aptus 75 with ease , especially with the Hasselblad  500CM mirror
clunking down and spoiling the shot , but i do get your point most modern MFDC are well able in this regard.

Handholding the old Hasselblad 500s with a DB is perfectly possible, and I shoot that way most of the time. It takes a bit of practice, though -

* You need to use a higher shutter speed than you might expect. 1/125s at least for the 60mm and 80mm, and 1/250s for the 100mm and 150mm. Or higher speeds, of course. You might just get away with 1/60s on the 50mm, but I wouldn't bank on it.

* Use the WLF, press down against the strap and in against your abdomen. Breath half-way out, pause, and fire. Or, the 45 degree prism works quite well hand held - you jam the camera up against your eye and in against your chin.

* If the subject permits, always take a safety shot - one of the two will usually be sharp.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 07:19:51 pm »

Some 150 year ago we had a complete trainwagon that functioned as a camera

Now we have cameras of square mm in our phone...

It is al evolution and yes the pictures are different but one is not really better than the other…

I think the much better (coating of the) lenses also plays a important role in the image quality apart from the sensor/film area.

This image would not have been better if made with a d800e or a MFB camera anno 2012.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 07:37:11 pm »

Boy, if those Indians only knew what that white guy was going to do next..... :)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 02:53:25 am »

I really like the view finder in my Rollei and that keeps me mostly shooting with that when I can. The IQ is better but even if it wasn't I'd provably still use it.  But lately I have also been shooting with an old Nikon F4.  Wow! That's got a great viewfinder - too bad Nikons lost this great interchangable finder.
Rolleiflex USA

Rob C

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 04:36:08 am »

I really like the view finder in my Rollei and that keeps me mostly shooting with that when I can. The IQ is better but even if it wasn't I'd provably still use it.  But lately I have also been shooting with an old Nikon F4.  Wow! That's got a great viewfinder - too bad Nikons lost this great interchangable finder.

But that's progress, Eric. At least (today) you don't have to struggle with the F4's lousy self-loading system. That was the single reason that I went back out and bought an F3. Even then, Nikon was playing mind games: when I bought the F4s I had concluded, from the lack of advertising, that the F3 had been discontinued - not so: they had just stopped promoting it. I still have that F3. But, compared with my earlier F and F2 Photomic, it's flawed: you need batteries.

;-(

Rob C

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up