Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Hasselblad been working on?  (Read 15382 times)

BJL

Re: What's Hasselblad been working on?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 11:21:19 am »

If Hasselblad improves the camera and the sensor (the dead of Kodak is problematic in that respect)
Kodak's problems are no longer relevant: its former sensor division was sold sometime before the bankruptcy, and is now operating under the name Truesense Imaging, a holding of Platinum Equity.
http://www.truesenseimaging.com/

The problem instead is that neither this operation nor that at Teledyne-Dalsa have given any hint of the ability to move beyond the now obsolescent 20th century CCD sensor technology in the sensors that they make for digital cameras. There may be room for optimism in the fact that Teledyne-Dalsa does make large CMOS sensors for other uses like X-rays (large, but low resolution, with 20-200 micron pixels) and machine vision (high frame rates and global shutters, but low resolution and low bit depth.) Kodak abandoned CMOS long before it sold its sensor division.
http://www.teledynedalsa.com/sensors/products/cmos.aspx
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:32:48 pm by BJL »

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »

I'd like to see a 503CWD FF  with a new line of lenses  and auto-focus

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 03:57:38 am »

I'd like to see a 503CWD FF  with a new line of lenses  and auto-focus

In your dreams . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 10:43:52 am »

Step forward Sigma, with a new medium format camera using MF sized Foveon sensor.  Now that would be a left field idea I'd like to see happen.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

jduncan

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 11:28:20 am »

Kodak's problems are no longer relevant: its former sensor division was sold sometime before the bankruptcy, and is now operating under the name Truesense Imaging, a holding of Platinum Equity.
http://www.truesenseimaging.com/

The problem instead is that neither this operation nor that at Teledyne-Dalsa have given any hint of the ability to move beyond the now obsolescent 20th century CCD sensor technology in the sensors that they make for digital cameras. There may be room for optimism in the fact that Teledyne-Dalsa does make large CMOS sensors for other uses like X-rays (large, but low resolution, with 20-200 micron pixels) and machine vision (high frame rates and global shutters, but low resolution and low bit depth.) Kodak abandoned CMOS long before it sold its sensor division.
http://www.teledynedalsa.com/sensors/products/cmos.aspx

Good point. Let see in what direction the current owners move the new company. 

This seems a very good idea if achieving the yields is possible:

Step forward Sigma, with a new medium format camera using MF sized Foveon sensor.  Now that would be a left field idea I'd like to see happen.

Now, I don't know  if the Foveon sensor has the characteristics needed in terms of color, dynamic rage etc.
All the Sigma cameras that I looked for on DxO are in the preview stage.

If they do however, a 53.7mm x40.2mm sensor  (like H4D-60/IQ160)  will have 86+ mega pixels of direct color rendering.

I believe for Sigma, it could be less risky to sale the sensors, at least as a initial proposition.
Building a full Medium Format system could be risky and complex. The do have the same links to review sites (for winning the mindshare) that Pentax do, in the other hand.

In therms of branding, sigma is not sale as a premium brand. They have try in the last months with Nikon / Canon L prices for some of the lenses  (like the 70-200 OS) but they have failed.

Building a sensor for a Leica S3 will be a second option. Leica guys will simply pay for the initial expertise and learning[1]. They will pay whatever is needed to getting the last gram of image quality on a Leica package.

Best regards,
James

------------------
[1] the steppers don't go that large, they will need to learn to do multiple exposure, or binding or something to go large.

english is not my first language, an I k

shadowblade

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 11:12:28 pm »

I'd love to see the X-Pan revived as a dedicated panoramic camera, with a 24x72mm CMOS sensor and live view (start with two D800 sensors side-by-side, and go from there). It'd be a compact system and rival 617-format colour film for image quality, with the same 1:3 aspect ratio, too. 24mm, 30mm, 50mm and 100mm lenses to go with it, preferably with tilt and vertical shift for focal plane and perspective control (since landscape is the most obvious use for such a body). Hasselblad could do it; so could the Sony/Zeiss partnership.

It's unfortunate that panoramic formats have been neglected since the digital revolution. Previously, we had 612, 617, 624 and the X-Pan format to play with - all compact (for their film size) systems which were highly portable and eminently suitable for landscape photography. These days, however, we're stuck stitching images from 35mm cameras (with the inevitable problems with moving subjects or wind) or cropping from MF sensors, which often don't offer lenses wide enough for what we want to do (28mm on a 54mm-wide sensor really isn't all that wide). The price of high-performance 35mm CMOS sensors, however, has now fallen to a level where we can easily justify sticking two of them side-by-side and paying $8-10k for a dedicated panoramic camera.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 02:30:37 am »

It is not a rumor anymore. Ventizz Capital wants Hasselblad to compete also outside MF. See the announcement of their CEO.

"We are proud to have such an iconic brand in our portfolio and are convinced that with solid financial support and a suitable growth strategy, Ventizz can further strengthen Hasselblad's position as the first-class producer of medium-format digital camera systems. Furthermore, we plan to develop Hasselblad cameras to appeal to a wider circle of ambitious photographers," said Helmut Vorndran, managing partner and CEO of Ventizz Capital Partners.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:06 am »

Forgot to copy the most important sentence for our wallet.

Hasselblad CEO Larry Hansen said his company is looking forward to exploring "brand new markets" -- including, we hope, the "sub-$10,000" one.

MrSmith

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 12:54:03 pm »

i fully expect an 'olympic edition' with gold. silver, bronze accents and a small commemorative medal with each limited edition camera body.
there is a rumour going round that the Ferrari editions languishing on the dealers shelves are going to be re-badged with a high end japanese car brand logo and Fuji branding. this is just a rumour though.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 01:17:42 pm »

If they like this in Asia, why not, if it brings an extra buck?

But, it is not what they are (really) working on , i.e. to develop a new camera system that expands their customer base.

On top of it, I heard they are massively hiring .....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:19:53 pm by hasselbladfan »

BJL

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 09:39:24 am »

"We are proud to have such an iconic brand in our portfolio and are convinced that with solid financial support and a suitable growth strategy, Ventizz can further strengthen Hasselblad's position as the first-class producer of medium-format digital camera systems. Furthermore, we plan to develop Hasselblad cameras to appeal to a wider circle of ambitious photographers," said Helmut Vorndran, managing partner and CEO of Ventizz Capital Partners.
Can you tell us the source for this and other quotes in these posts?

BJL

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 11:28:25 am »

http://www.ventizz.de/en/pm110630.php
Thanks: so, quotes from June 2011 when Ventizz Capital Fund acquired Hasselblad.

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 05:46:45 pm »

I guess they are kind of busy being worried after seeing the price tag of the Nikon D800 with its 36.3-megapixel FX-format...

JV

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 06:53:53 pm »

Hasselblad USA and Bron Imaging Group announce agreement to merge U.S. operations:
http://press.hasselblad.com/media/1974277/2012-04-24_pr_hasselelbadbron_us_en.pdf

design_freak

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 04:37:37 am »

Hasselblad USA and Bron Imaging Group announce agreement to merge U.S. operations:
http://press.hasselblad.com/media/1974277/2012-04-24_pr_hasselelbadbron_us_en.pdf

Nice message. But we would prefer to know that they are working on new products ... Software, lenses, new system...
Best regards,
DF

K.C.

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 05:52:08 am »

Nice message. But we would prefer to know that they are working on new products ... Software, lenses, new system...

Press release: "The merger will only impact the two American organizations of Bron Imaging Group U.S."

They don't do any development in the U.S.. They're just combining operations here to try and stay in business.

jduncan

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 07:55:46 am »

Press release: "The merger will only impact the two American organizations of Bron Imaging Group U.S."

They don't do any development in the U.S.. They're just combining operations here to try and stay in business.

I am not sure about the las bit. It appears to imply that they are close to be broken. It could be, but I don't believe it's the only interpretation.  They already were working as partners on other zones.
It could be that the partnership worked very well,  It could be an effort to combine marketing campaigns, increase support coverture an channels  and cut marketing costs, They could be testing the waters for fusion it could be the big universal pancake of the space.

In other words, I believe we don't have the information to decide.

For me the development is interesting. But I don't see it as a move that will change the market in a significant way.
Best regards,

James
english is not my first language, an I k

Dave McRitchie - Bron Imaging Group

• Capture Integration
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »

Just to follow up on the "to try and stay in business" quote.  This is absolutely not the case.

The US distribution merger is not without a successful precedent.  The distribution of both products has been successfully demonstrated in the UK.  The combining of resources will help us to develop a greater outreach into the market.  What this means to the end user is better customer support and better sales support.

This is NOT a merger of Hasselblad and Bron Elektronic in Europe.  This is a merger of 2 distribution companies in the US only.

Dave McRitchie
Bron Imaging Group
dave@bronimaging.com
Dave McRitchie (e-mail Me)

National Sales Manager, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor &

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2012, 01:58:13 pm »

I assume you mean you would prefer to know what new products they are working on, rather than that they are working on new products.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 02:00:55 pm »

Not speaking for Hasselblad (others can do that), but among the products Bron Imaging distributes into the US are Sunbounce and Broncolor Lighting, both of which produce industry leading products, are doing extremely well, and have excellent futures ahead of them. The present isn't so bad either.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up