Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D5100: Next Lens to Buy Beyond Kit Lens  (Read 5560 times)

timothyj

• Upstate New York Photography
Nikon D5100: Next Lens to Buy Beyond Kit Lens
« on: March 26, 2012, 06:51:10 pm »

About 6 months ago I purchased a Nikon D5100 that came with the kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6). I'm slowly building my collection of equipment and would like to purchase another lens or two. I've had multiple recommendations to add a 1.4 prime lens as an essential. I mostly shoot landscape-type shots and would like a lens that will perform well in low light. I'd also like to add a telephoto lens eventually--what would you recommend for that? I'd like to stay within a reasonable budget range.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Nikon D5100: Next Lens to Buy Beyond Kit Lens
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:35:24 pm »

I do not know your budget, but remember good lenses stay good. ( if you not drop them too hard)
An investment in a good lens is something you will not regret. Fortunately there are also some good lenses that are not expensive.
I would say try the new Nikkor 1,8 50mm G lens: it is worth every penny and makes a good low light lens as well. Use it wide open and see if you like the effect of the beautiful unsharpness.
I f you are sensitive to the quality difference with the kit lens maybe more expensive lenses come into play. I find the nano coated lenses a great step forward in the Nikkor Line-up.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
Re: Nikon D5100: Next Lens to Buy Beyond Kit Lens
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:42:05 am »

I would argue for a nice prime too. Nikon 50mm 1.8G or 35mm 1.8G are great. Most bang for the buck and the difference between 1.4 and 1.8 isn't really that big. Try to find out from the EXIF data which focal length you tend to use the most and then see which one suits you better.
Another option would be a macro lens like the Nikon 85mm or 40mm. Sharp but slow. The latter isn't really a problem if you are using a tripod.

And don't let people discourage you from buying DX-only lenses because they are not "future proof". Most you can trade with only little loss (at least that's my expericence in Europe).
Pages: [1]   Go Up