Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HM Bamboo skew during the printing  (Read 3614 times)

Damir

HM Bamboo skew during the printing
« on: March 26, 2012, 06:42:24 pm »

I started to print photos for my new exhibition on Hahnemule Bamboo and the paper skews during the printing. It started with equal left and right margins and after 2 prints paper is already shifted to one side for 5 mm so the image doesn't have margin one side and is slanted.

If I reload paper it happens again, it seems to me that I need to reload the paper after each print. I never experienced such behavior with any paper until now. Printer is HP DJ Z3100 24". I don't expect to get solution to this problem here; I post it just as interesting information.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: HM Bamboo skew during the printing
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:58:24 pm »

Hi Damir,

I think it is more an HP Z3xxx series design issue than a paper issue. I get it a lot with pretty much every type of paper, mostly when the paper preset uses "star-wheels up"

I think the problem begins with the paper loading. If one side of the roll is inserted 1mm deeper than the other it begins a crescent skew that can only go do the left (facing the printer ). It gets worse because the movable spindle from the Z3xxx does not have the large shield disk to block the paper from skewing as the fixed spindle has.

Try loading the paper with extra care to the tension on both sides, this may minimize the problem.

Best regards.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 02:49:16 am »

My Z3200 showed it too when I started using it. I made a 145 mm disc of 1.5 mm thick polycarbonate + two sided tape for the left side of the spindle and that solved it. The problem seems to be gone in time as I can use the normal spindle caps for any paper now. My Z3100 never had that issue.

In your case it could be the Bamboo texture that is quite heavy and runs mainly in one direction. If you use the "move paper" function in the printer panel menu you can test how a loaded roll behaves.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Damir

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:21:23 am »

Thanks Ernst I was just thinkg to do the same and how to solve the problem of proper radius for left side spindle, now you gave me a proper measure. My idea was to use old CD or DVD for that.

Geraldo I never had such issue on Z it may be that printer use star-wheels up with this paper, but not with the others that I use in the past so that this in combination with paper texture, as Ernst mentioned, generate the problem.

Thanks for advices.

Damir

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 06:46:46 am »

I just want to make some conclusion on this topic. After I finished with HM Bamboo and go back to another papers I never ever had the skew problem again.
My last roll of Bamboo was also great I will describe what I think was the problem. But first some critics of Bamboo.

When I load the roll paper edge on the begining of the roll was unevenly cut.

Edge of the roll was also uneven.

I made spindle extension to prevent paper moving, but that did not help.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:52:42 am by Damir »

Damir

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 07:08:31 am »

While examine prints I notice some sticky tape on the back of one of the skewed print.
I wonder where this come from? So I examined leftovers in my basket.
On the end of roll I noticed parts of sticky tape.
Than I examined printer interior - o man - there are pieces of tapes everywhere.
It was not possible to remove them, as they are firmly pressed by two rollers - arrow point to that part.

It is obvious that as the end of the roll goes through the printer part of tape left inside. While it was still sticky, paper adhered to it and started to skew.
Paper did not skew after the tape gone with the paper or become unsticky due to the part of paper that adhere to tape.

So every beginning of roll skew, after 3/4 of roll it printed OK. I started to measure roll and remove it from back of the printer when it comes to an end.

Unfortunately - part of the tape is still in printer, but it seems that it does not cause any additional problem for now.

Anyway HM did a lousy job with packing of that paper, shame on them it is great paper otherwise, also expensive one!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:11:35 am by Damir »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 07:54:49 am »

Tape on the transport axle happens from time to time. If you remove the panel at the back tyou get a bit more access. Be aware that there is a small connector to the paper insert sensor.

I would not expect a positive change on paper course with the plastic extension you gave to the spindle. I use a disc that just does not touch the panel in front of the spindle. About 15 cm diameter.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

Damir

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 06:57:47 pm »

Tnx Ernst

Maybe it will be god to make list of papers that are at the end taped to the core so that users can take care of that problem during the printing.

Damir

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 05:11:51 pm »

George

thank you for usefull information.

Nice site you have. I noticed that you print on Epson papers, but have only HP printers, or the Epson printers are hiding somewhere  ;D

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:43:27 pm »

That is right, all Hahnemühle papers are taped that way and I hate it also.
Canson papers used to be taped like that, but now they use a double sided sticky tape under the last 1/2 inch of paper through the whole widith of the roll. It is a bit less problematic than  Hahnemühle´s solution but you still have to be carefull on the end of the rolls.

Best regards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up