Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Do Camera Manufacturers Make Flawed Products?  (Read 7192 times)

hjulenissen

Re: Why Do Camera Manufacturers Make Flawed Products?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 04:31:47 am »

1. We humans don't make flawless anything, we leave that to our Gods.
2. The buyers accept imperfect products today at a price they can pay, rather than a "perfect" product 20 years in the future at the price of a house
3. The buyers cannot agree how a perfect product should be like, its called preference.
4. The industry want to sell new top-of-the range products, therefore they must spread tech advances in time and across the product range.

Camera people tend to be somewhat technical and curious. I don't think that fits in with the Apple strategy ("don't like the automatic exposure? too bad, we know what is best for you, perhaps you should find another scene?"). To be honest, I would rather see Google make my next camera ("we will let you do anything as long as we may beam up every image you ever take to our mother-ship"). Or perhaps not...

-h

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 04:42:58 am »

Camera makers are a bit like the EU really, it's not a bad idea but most of the good ideas get caught up in red tape and watered down into meaningless legislation. Or they start to over legislate and simply create more regulations.
Many large companies are the same, some talented people can come up with great concepts and ideas..but by the time it's gone through the grinder and layers of management it's no longer the idea it once was. Microsoft is a pretty good example of this, capable of good work, but also can miss the most obvious points very easily (so far Win 8 is a disaster for desktop/laptop users)

Then there is the most obvious point of all. I can sit down design a camera that I think is perfect handling wise, control layout, design and spec. You might not like it.
That is the reality of the misconception of "flawless" it doesn't exist. Quirks are not the same thing..they can be ironed out

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 08:04:42 am »

Would be interesting to let Ivie design a good dSLR and see what he might come up with.
I dread to think as judging by other products he has designed, he has hands the size of a 5 year old and ears like dumbo. And the shutter button would be replaced by two separate buttons that you could not use with just one hand.  ;D
He's the World's most overrated designer, not to mention that most of his 'original' ideas are copies of Dieter Rams' stuff for Braun in the 60s
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:07:11 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up