Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transfer prior LR3 catalogue  (Read 1460 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
transfer prior LR3 catalogue
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:10:57 pm »

I installed LR upgrade and this transfered the catalogue from the LR 4 BETA with no problem

The install did not transfer the large catalogue from from LR 3.

It appears I need to specify each folder in LR3  by itself to transfer into LR4

There must be an easier method.

Help?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
Re: transfer prior LR3 catalogue
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:24:14 pm »

LR4 does not go searching your computer looking for LR3 catalogs to upgrade. Only when you go and open an LR3 catalog does LR4 makes a new catalog out of it.

So if you have a lot of LR3 catalogs all over the place, then yes you have to visit each one of them to get them upgraded. (Or rather, when you next use them they will get upgraded).

Does this help or have I misunderstood you?

Kevin

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:08:28 pm »

I do not want to transfer multiple catalogues--I want to transfer one catalogue with multiples folders,

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

John McDermott

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 11:22:09 pm »

I think that you are confusing LR catalogs with your image files. Your image files may be, and apparently are, in multiple folders. You don't need to touch them to upgrade.

The LR catalog is one file, in one folder, that contains information about your image files. Open that single catalog file with LR4 and it will upgrade it and you will be on your way.
John E. McDermott

Richowens

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:00:00 am »

Michael,

If I understand you correctly, you want to open your LR3 catalogue in LR4 and add it to the LR4 catalogue.
 I added my Beta catalogue to my LR3 catalogue. Seemed easier to import the smaller into the larger.
 The way I did it was to open the LR3 catalogue with LR4 and let LR4 make a copy and convert the LR3 to work in LR4.
 Then I added the LR4 catalogue to the converted LR3 catalogue, which is still open, using the "File>Import from another catalogue..."
 This will add and integrate the two catalogues.

Rich

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:47:18 pm »

Thanks for the above help--it was a bit confusing aND I WISH ADOBE WOULD MAKE THESE  updates easier and more intuitive.

I did the following:

1-I had only 2 small folders in the LR4 Beta catalog2- I exported them as a catalogue with the images to the desktop

2-I used LR 4 to open the LR3 master catalogue and renamed it and this brought all my folders into LR4 with the folder structure intact

3-I "imported from another catalogue" the 2 folders on my Desktop into the LR4 catalogue which added them to the master new catalogue

Everything now appears as I intended.

I hope this will help others who had the same issue

MDIJB

mdiimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up