Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loch Carron (Large Stitched Pano)  (Read 5856 times)

popnfresh

Re: Loch Carron (Large Stitched Pano)
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »

I don't understand, they (the dark undetailed bits) are supposed to be silhouettes and shadows, as these parts of the scenwere way outside of the dynamic range of the camera and so that is where I let them fall - but hang on there, you are not suggesting I should do an HDR version are you?

No, in fact, imo, HDR would have made it worse. The more I see of HDR the less I like it. I understand that what you did was a stylistic decision and not the result of ineptitude, it's just that it wouldn't have been my approach. But I still think it's a very nice image. I would have perhaps shot it in different light, so that the low values would have some subtle detail. But again, it's a stylistic decision. You got the effect you were looking for, so you obviously knew what you were doing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:58:01 pm by popnfresh »

alibenn

• Harvesting Light
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 07:09:10 am »

Stunning light and a really nice composition.

WalterEG

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 01:36:56 pm »

so that the low values would have some subtle detail.

What a delight to hear the word "subtle" on a digital photo forum.

Lovely moment preserved, by the way.

Cheers,

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »

Hi Pop,

No, in fact, imo, HDR would have made it worse. The more I see of HDR the less I like it. I understand that what you did was a stylistic decision and not the result of ineptitude, it's just that it wouldn't have been my approach. But I still think it's a very nice image.

I totally agree and think that HDR of the cartoonesque variety is dreadful, even though it appears to be just as popular on the net - why is that do you think?

I would have perhaps shot it in different light, so that the low values would have some subtle detail.

I have even been known to setup and take a shot in the better light, then wait until the sun is low enough to take a second shot and blend them later, but this takes nerve, because invariably there needs to be quite some time between the two shots and I am always looking for a better composition and find it so difficult to stop myself from re-framing the shot and blowing the whole setup. So having realised my own limitations, I now make the best of what is in front of me as it happens.

But again, it's a stylistic decision. You got the effect you were looking for, so you obviously knew what you were doing.

Thank you - much appreciated ;)

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up