Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3 > Lightroom 4 conversion bug ?  (Read 3592 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Lightroom 3 > Lightroom 4 conversion bug ?
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

I'm not sure what is happening but pretty much all of my images that were processed in lightroom 3 look different when the catalog gets converted to lightroom 4. I'm not updating the process which I would expect to cause a shift. All the images are in their original process.

Writing metadata to disk in LR3, then reading it back in using LR4 seems to fix the issue. It's pretty annoying to have to do this and a few images have been tweaked in LR4 before I noticed this issue so it will be difficult to figure out which files have the look I want to keep. It seems to me that the curve shape has been changed by the conversion process somehow.

Walter Schulz

Re: Lightroom 3 > Lightroom 4 conversion bug ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/
Date: 12.03.2012
Well known bug in the community, discussed here. Workaround discussed, too.
According to Jeff Schewe the tone curve information is not lost. There is/was a script available for a limited group able to restore the information. See discussions in Adobe's LR forum.

Ciao, Walter
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:42:35 pm by Walter Schulz »

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 04:02:08 pm »

I think it's cute how this was missed by the open beta. Makes sense considering the one feature that was not available in the beta was catalog conversion.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:48 pm »

I think it's cute how this was missed by the open beta. Makes sense considering the one feature that was not available in the beta was catalog conversion.

Actually, that was a sensible, even shrewd, decision by Adobe.

Back in the late Softwarestocene Era, when product cycles were measured in multiples of years, Beta testers were carefully-selected, invited customers operating under nondisclosure agreements who executed specified evaluation regimes using realistic but throwaway datasets, and provided regular (often weekly) progress reports.  This typically happened only after extensive Alpha testing within the company—sometimes with input from a handful of customers who had particular expertise in dealing with edge cases and other conditions that were not expected to arise naturally among the majority of users—had plucked, and engineering had corrected, the low-hanging bugs.

But that was then.

These days, the market requires just about every manufacturer to push code out the door as a public Beta the instant it seems more-or-less stable.  Or sometimes before then.  (I'm not accusing Adobe of this, but there are some other companies I could name. . . . )  And then to take the heat in public forums for both real and imagined problems reported by users whose knowledge and skills are for the most part unknown to the poor bastards who have the job of finding and fixing the real bugs, with management, marketers and public relators breathing down their necks.

Anyway, if the LR4 public Beta had provided the ability to convert our LR3 catalogs, how many of us could have resisted the urge?  How many of us would have made certain we had an untouchable (read that as read-only in a non-modifiable directory) back-up copy that even in the most apocalyptic scenario could never have been hosed by a runaway conversion process?

This curves conversion issue seems to be the most serious problem anyone has encountered with LR4—and we've already been assured a fix is in the works.  Some users are also experiencing display updates that lag behind the sliders (I'm one of them, although I'm not at all sure my problem isn't caused by inadequate physical memory and a slow demand-paging device), but performance optimization usually lags behind (pun intended) bug fixes, and for good reason: first you have to get the functionality right.

Actually, my impression is that the LR4 release is pretty clean by today's standards.  Maybe not the way we used to do it, but, Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.

Chris

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 11:06:47 pm »

Back in the late Softwarestocene Era, when product cycles were measured in multiples of years, Beta testers were carefully-selected, invited customers operating under nondisclosure agreements who executed specified evaluation regimes using realistic but throwaway datasets, and provided regular (often weekly) progress reports.  This typically happened only after extensive Alpha testing within the company—sometimes with input from a handful of customers who had particular expertise in dealing with edge cases and other conditions that were not expected to arise naturally among the majority of users—had plucked, and engineering had corrected, the low-hanging bugs.

But that was then.

Actually, Adobe still does this. The actual beta testers do hammer in the internal betas real hard. However, the point curve update issue was something that surprised those testers as well. Something about the GM build broke that function. Slightly earlier builds didn't have that issue. So, it's likely that while squashing one bug, they introduced that new bug. There is a LR4 Tone Curve Recovery script that can be downloaded with a PDF set of instructions on how to use it.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 01:59:18 am »

There is a LR4 Tone Curve Recovery script that can be downloaded with a PDF set of instructions on how to use it.
Is this public yet ? (as it seems an odd file location)
If so it's not working on Windows 7 (following the instructions to the letter, but there's no scripts option on relaunch in LR4)

Costas

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:47:01 am »

Is this public yet ? (as it seems an odd file location)
If so it's not working on Windows 7 (following the instructions to the letter, but there's no scripts option on relaunch in LR4)

I downloaded yesterday and following the instructions in the PDF it worked fine for me on windows 7 64-bit. It recovered 13098 images for me, although it does not seem to have touched some. According to posts elsewhere its the ones which have been edited in LR4 following import, seems to be the case with the few I have found so far.

Robert Katz

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:20 am »

Just installed the script and it worked perfectly.
Windows 7 64 bit
Robert
Robert Katz
Robert Katz Photography

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 03:40:08 pm »

Finally got it working. The instructions, with respect to Windows installations, aren't correct (readme draft 1). Instruction 3 isn't necessarily correct, creating the scripts folder here won't automatically be picked up depending on Lightroom configuration. (The example script hierarchy in step 4 is incomplete too)

The correct path is:
C:/Documents and settings/<user name>/App Data/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom/<create new script folder here>

The script worked and recovered the tone curves, but reported the wrong number of files effected (a very minor bug)

<edit> For reference;
This is on Windows 64bit when the LR catalogue is not stored in the LR default location.
My catalogue, presets, plug-ins and previews are kept on a separate SSD from the system drive.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:35:31 am by Rhossydd »

stamper

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 02:48:52 am »

Does the sun ever shine for you? :) ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up