Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Download to iPad?  (Read 8969 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Download to iPad?
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:07:33 am »

We are getting more and more requests (naturally) for download direct to an iPad.

The hiccup in that process is the current requirement of our shopping cart for .zip files.

I am fairly sure there is a workaround using GoodReader to which the zip file can be handed by Safari for de-compression and subsequent viewing.

Has anyone any experience doing this?

Chris

thebatman

Re: Download to iPad?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:22:28 am »

Ha!  What do you know.  Just tried it with one of the LR4 zips on an iPad 3 and it worked fine.  The file downloads, then you are prompted to open in goodreader.  Once you do, you tap the file again in goodreader and it unzips and all the .mov files appear.  The movies are listed in the goodreader app but are not appearing in the videos app.  You just tap them to play.  Cool!

-Ken

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:53:16 am »

Bravo!

jeremyrh

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 03:37:31 am »

Excellent! Better than synching via iTunes!!!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:24:23 am »

Just make sure that you download the latest GoodReader (v.3.14.2) optimized for new retina display on the iPad (3rd gen.)

mac_paolo

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:05:01 pm »

Just make sure that you download the latest GoodReader (v.3.14.2) optimized for new retina display on the iPad (3rd gen.)
I'd much prefer to have streaming links for the videos I bought.
As for now I download them with the Mac and simply add them to my default video player app (not the native one), so that I don't have to import them in iTunes.
It's quite hassle-free. The hardest step is still the download (which by the way got better with S3). :)

jeremyrh

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:52:08 am »

Tried this last night and it works like a charm - Jeff's beard looks even better on Retina display!! - recomemend adding this tip to the download instructions!!  ;D

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:44:29 am »

I'd much prefer to have streaming links for the videos I bought.

Yes that is an addition that we are contemplating. However many like to store the videos for future reference.

WallyM

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:52:44 pm »

Yes that is an addition that we are contemplating. However many like to store the videos for future reference.

I'm glad to hear it would be an optional feature; count me in the crowd for whom streaming would be very difficult because of download speed.  I feel lucky to have 1.5 mbps DSL now and I'm not likely to have anything faster available any time soon.  In my experience, streaming anything beyond little youtube videos is an exercise in frustration because of the constant pausing as the download catches up.

Wally

reyn_two

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 06:17:05 am »

As an option no problem but please keep the downloads, I download to my Windows Home Server and then using the free DLNA server Serviio I play them on my 37 inch Panasonic TV,
wonderful quality and being able to relax on the sofa and have a cup of tea and a biscuit is excellent.
Frank

Xavier Rival

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:52:40 am »

Indeed, I think that downloads should be preserved by all means. I feel like stating the obvious, but here it is: I typically view the videos on a mobile device while travelling (usually an iPad, during the daily commute to work) and streaming would not work for me; I guess many people are like me, so storing the videos is not only for future reference. :)

David S

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:27 am »

Nice idea to add an option to download or stream to an iPad but please keep the ability to download the zip files.

Dave S

Pages: [1]   Go Up