Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are these stretcher (or strainer) bars? And how best to make the frame? *pics*  (Read 1330 times)

RMB

Hello again everyone,

Quick question: are these bars stretchers or strainers? I assume they are stretchers as they leave two small openings on the inside of each corner when affixed together.  Is it in this small opening that the end user can hammer in pegs or keys to tighten a slackening canvas in time?  If so, am I to only attach these precision mitred bars with force (i.e. no gluing or nailing)?  I worry that, a) the openings aren't what I think they are, and b) leaving the corners un-glued/-nailed would allow the frame to distort (then again, I assume the many staples holding the canvas will lock the frame perfectly square).

I'll be applying Timeless to my first canvas today which means tomorrow will be my first streeeeetch!

Thanks,
Ryan

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry

I've always called them stretcher bars. I don't use that style anymore but when I did I just hammered them together. The canvas acts as a like a face panel on a door skin keeping everything in place. I suppose that it *could* go out of square if enough force were applied but I've never seen it happen.

Also, I've always considered canvases to be nominally sized, like 2x4s. a 24x36 isn't really that size, and you'll find that depending on the canvas / coating combo you'll get some shrinkage and your print will be a little off size wise. It's usually close enough. You're best off having a forgiving layout, mirroring the sides or having a file with lots of bleed is a good way to go.

Take your time when stretching, don't apply too much tension (you'll get the feel for it eventually) and plan on wrecking a lot of canvas. It takes a while to get good at hand stretching.

good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up