Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson Baryta  (Read 6590 times)

Mr. Capp

Canson Baryta
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:26:21 pm »

I never had good luck with Canon's Baryta Photographique profile, I had much better results with Ilford's GFS profile with this paper.
Does anyone know of or have a profile for a 3800 and the Canson Baryta? Anyone have any similar experiences?

best,
Michael

WPalank

• William Palank Photography
Re: Canson Baryta
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:54:32 pm »

Michael,

This probably won't help but the ImagePrint Profile is spot on both for color and grayscale printing. In fact the paper is my favorite right now and I delivered 4 prints glassed, framed and matted the other day for a Gallery show that opens tonight.

What seems to be the problem? Shadow detail, color-cast....?

Have you looked into getting a Profile from Eric Chan?

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:01:12 pm »

I must admit to being pretty impressed by Canson Baryta Photographique.
The profiles I use are for the Epson 7900 from Canson themselves.

I will watch this post with interest.

Regards

Tony Jay

Mr. Capp

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »

everything comes out very dark and muddy with Cansons canned profile, whereas with the ilford profile it's much better. It's easy to see when I soft proof and put it on cansons profile everything gets brighter so I have to darken the image so it looks good on screen, then it prints dark and muddy.

I really like the paper, just am trying to get as close to a good profile, but the ilford one is pretty good with this paper.
I'll try eric and see if he has a color profile for this,
Thanks
-M

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:31:23 pm »

The papers are very identical. Could it be that one of the profiles is a version 2 while the other is version 4 and your OS/application/driver can not handle v4?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Mr. Capp

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:17:14 pm »

interesting enough, the canson profiles are version 2.4, whereas all my others are version 2.0.
I havent run into any problem with the platine profile though, just the baryta.
i'm running osx 10.6.8.

thanks for the input.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:54:57 pm »

I never had good luck with Canon's Baryta Photographique profile, I had much better results with Ilford's GFS profile with this paper.
Does anyone know of or have a profile for a 3800 and the Canson Baryta? Anyone have any similar experiences?

best,
Michael

Ernst is correct, the papers are virtually identical. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the the whole lot weren't made in the same factory in a third country and repackaged in France or Switzerland according to whether it is Canson or Ilford, to comply with EU domestic content requirements for mfn tariff treatment. If the IGFS profile works fine with IGFS it will work fine with Canson Baryta Photographique. Been there, done that.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 04:00:31 am »

I think the two big boys are on to something here.

Good luck with your printing.

Regards

Tony Jay

Alistair

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 05:13:04 am »

best,
Michael

I posted on this a year or so ago so you may find a bit more information using the search function. But bottom line is the Canson profiles on their website are faulty and one of their sales managers acknowledged this to me in an email. That they have not fixed the ones on the website yet is appalling.

They sent me a different profile for my 7880 and it is perfect but it has not replaced the one on their website.

It gives the exact same results I get from using Ilford's GFS profile with this paper which are really very good.

I have since had custom profiles made for both Canson's Baryta and Platine papers which are now my two default PK papers.

Regards
Alistair

Mark F

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:02:47 pm »

Canson Baryta is my favorite paper and I've been using their profile on my 4880 without problems. But now you have me curious and I will try the Ilford GFS profile to see if there is a difference on my printer.

I seem to recall discussions a couple of years back as to whether the Canson Baryta and Ilford GFS were actually the same papers sold under different brand names. If I remember correctly, several people commented that in their experience the look was identical but that the Ilford paper surface was more sensitive and easily damaged. I have no experience with GFS so do not know if this is true.
Mark

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 07:49:43 pm »

the profiles are only as good as the effort the company puts into making it.  I do a lot of printing on IGFS and found the Ilford profile for the 3880 just mediocre with colors really washed out (you could see a marked difference doing a soft proof with PS).  You could also see that the gamut was not really what it should have been either.  Prepared my own profile using ArgyllCMS and all is good.  I print on a couple of different Canson profiles and the tests of those profiles were OK but again I could improve on them by rolling my own.

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 01:08:23 am »

Interesting that the Canson Baryta profile for the Epson 7900/9900 appears, to my eye anyway, to be very good.

Interested in what other feel.

Regards

Tony Jay

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:45:40 am »

Tony,
I created my own profile for CIB/7900, but used the canned profile from Canson initially. The difference is subtle (or should I say sub-tile a-la the LR4 video?  :) )

If I mix up the prints I can tell the difference, but I know what I am looking for. The light areas are a little cleaner and brighter, as if there is a bit more Clarity applied. I too think the Canson profile is pretty darn good for this printer.

I can send you my profile if you would like to try it for comparison yourself. Just pm me.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:48:53 am by dchew »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 08:05:18 am »

Canson Baryta is my favorite paper and I've been using their profile on my 4880 without problems. But now you have me curious and I will try the Ilford GFS profile to see if there is a difference on my printer.

I seem to recall discussions a couple of years back as to whether the Canson Baryta and Ilford GFS were actually the same papers sold under different brand names. If I remember correctly, several people commented that in their experience the look was identical but that the Ilford paper surface was more sensitive and easily damaged. I have no experience with GFS so do not know if this is true.

As I mentioned above these papers look and behave so similarly it's hard to believe they aren't the same thing. Now, on the subject of damage - yes and no, and this applies to both of them. The inked surface is very resistant, non-inked borders are less resistant and it is therefore good to handle with some care.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 03:47:40 pm »

But bottom line is the Canson profiles on their website are faulty and one of their sales managers acknowledged this

Alistair
Are you suggesting their Plantine profile is faulty as well as the Baryta?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:50:35 pm by Rusty »

Alistair

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 04:33:02 pm »

Alistair
Are you suggesting their Plantine profile is faulty as well as the Baryta?
Yes, the 7880 one. Way too contrasty. The difference between the Canson and a custom one is night and day.
Alistair

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 08:10:40 pm »

Thanks, I have had good success with their profiles on Plantine with 3880 and recently purchased larger (than letter size) sheets. I will tread carefully though and test on the smaller sheets.

MOMOP

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 12:54:14 pm »

On the Epson 3880 I have had good luck with the vendor-supplied profile.  However for BW, Eric Chan's ABW profile for the 3880 is clearly the winner.

Cheers,

P.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:52:45 pm by MOMOP »

howardm

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:14:20 pm »

I've had good success w/ using 17x22 and simply cutting down to almost any other size
such as 11x17 or 13x19 trying to optimize the cuts to let me use any scrap as test print material.

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »

I am making my first trek into 'serious' printing.  Until now I've used generic stock paper and canned profiles.    I just purchased some of this Canson Baryta Photographique and have 3 shipping days to locate a profile for my 3880.

If anyone would be so kind as to send me one I would be very grateful.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up