Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS6 public beta  (Read 49830 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Photoshop CS6 public beta
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 01:44:08 am »

Anyone having problems with the crop tool?

With CS 5 and all older versions pressing enter finished the crop and removed the tool from the image.  I can't make that work in the beta.
basically they just put LR's crop tool in PS.  It's may be weird to get used to but it is way better than the old crop tool.  Key is to toggle the check box is you want to actually crop, or just turn the tool off if you want to retain the entire image but worked with the cropped portion.

tived

• http://
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 03:07:20 am »

I am I the only one who see no need for LR?

Photoshop & Bridge does what I expect them to do, cataloging is done with Media Pro/iView/Expression or whatever its called these days ;-)

Now, I have bought the latest LR tut video as i am curious, as to what all the fuss is all about - maybe when I see these I may change my mind - but as I do retouching for others, PS is definately my tool of choice.

Thanks

Henrik

Tony Jay

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 04:07:04 am »

The main issue about LR is the integrated package.

Magnificent databasing, organization, searching etc.
Develop has nothing different in terms of effects but is all done with parametric editing (no pixels harmed during this production).
Intuitive print module - sooo much easier to print from (now that soft proofing can be done in LR4 this feature alone is worth the price of the package).
Slide show module and web module for those that need them.
Map module for those that need geotagging.
Book module will likely continue to evolve into an even more robust feature allowing web-based publication and book production.

Don't get me wrong - I use PS for several reasons including HDR, merging, stacks, etc - but LR is most emphatically the cornerstone of my digital workflow. I enjoy PS but feel that LR is fundamental.

There are many different packages out there that when their functionality is combined can sort of emulate what LR does but there is NO other integrated package to match LR.

For the price I would buy it and learn it and then see how you might integrate it into your workflow.

My $0.2 worth.

Regards

Tony Jay

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 04:43:12 am »

Can it [new crop] be turned off?  I'll take  the old method.

The new mode is vastly superior, and you're better off spending time getting used to it. But yes you can switch it off - go to the little cogwheel button and choose classic mode.

John

tived

• http://
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 05:17:33 am »

Thanks Tony,
I will definately give it try, I am trying to find some time
to get to view the tutorial video in peace and quiet.

Henrik

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 06:15:09 am »

basically they just put LR's crop tool in PS.  It's may be weird to get used to but it is way better than the old crop tool.  Key is to toggle the check box is you want to actually crop, or just turn the tool off if you want to retain the entire image but worked with the cropped portion.

Thanks,

I'll mess with it a bit but I'm really quite comfortable with the old crop and it fits my workflow for production images.  Change is not always a good thing.

Added on edit.

I see you that even in classic mode you still need one more step to get the crop markers gone after hitting enter. One more step is not an improvement, at least for me, its a bug.

I understand changing the software...they need to do something to somewhat justify the cost of an upgrade.  However changing a well established workflow item with no way to revert to the prior method is is bit discomforting.

And its a deal breaker for me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:25:18 am by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 12:47:46 pm »

Changing a layer's name is still such a chore, especially with a stylus, where double clicking with exactitude is challenging.

My wish list has the ability to rename the layer within the layer styles dialogue box.
~ CB

tsjanik

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 10:10:53 pm »

I am I the only one who see no need for LR?...............

No. 

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2012, 10:56:09 pm »

No, but you may be in the minority...

(you might want to re-evaluate your position as many/most photographers have indeed seen the benefit)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:08 am »

I've been using Photoshop for 15 years now in my work as an illustrator/graphic artist. Although it's called Photoshop it is much more than a photo editing tool. The below illustration and cartoon by David and Tim were both done using a scanner, Wacom tablet and Photoshop. Photoshop is not just for photographers, there are lots of other uses for it.

Like most employees, 6 months or so after an upgrade I would have an IT worker come along and install the upgrade or just as often they would wheel in a new computer in with the upgrade already installed on it.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Craig Lamson

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2012, 07:14:21 am »

No, but you may be in the minority...

(you might want to re-evaluate your position as many/most photographers have indeed seen the benefit)

Its nice to be in the minority...

Lightroom makes nice web galleries at least....
Craig Lamson Photo

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2012, 11:31:20 am »

I can't decide if LR is needed or not (I have it). Bridge has better search capabilities than LR. LR printing is easier than PhotoShop. In LR I don't need to make copies of photos for different uses I just store different metadata. PhotoShop is needed for fine tuning some images but not needed for all. So if I had to choose, I'd drop LR but would miss it.
Les

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 11:41:45 am »

Bridge search was a slow painful nightmare in the past compared to LR, would be very interested to see if it has been improved. Not installed the beta yet though, up to my eyes in a huge project.

RFPhotography

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 02:02:11 pm »

Can it be turned off?  I'll take  the old method.

Check the 'Delete Cropped Pixels' box at the top of the screen and that should give you your old crop functionality.  You can also click on the gear wheel at the top and check Use Classic Mode which reverts to the old style crop tool.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:21:43 pm by BobFisher »

RFPhotography

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 02:06:36 pm »

Probably not.

Photoshop & Bridge does what I expect them to do, cataloging is done with Media Pro/iView/Expression or whatever its called these days ;-)

You've simply adopted a different workflow using different tools to achieve a similar end result.  So you may not have a need for LR in your workflow but for others who choose a different path, the toolset will be different.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, 03:58:01 pm »

Bridge has better search capabilities than LR.
Only if your search is quite limited. Bridge's Find dialog is good, but Lightroom is much better at searching through larger numbers of pictures across folders / drives.

Tony Jay

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, 06:21:38 pm »

Can't believe that anyone would think that the search/databasing of Bridge is better(!) than LR.

Regards

Tony Jay

Craig Lamson

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, 08:47:18 pm »

Check the 'Delete Cropped Pixels' box at the top of the screen and that should give you your old crop functionality.  You can also click on the gear wheel at the top and check Use Classic Mode which reverts to the old style crop tool.

Tried that but it still won't release the crop markers on the photo with the enter key.  I have to select another tool to release the image and then I get a dialog box asking if I want to crop. :(

Not production friendly.
Craig Lamson Photo

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »

Can't believe that anyone would think that the search/databasing of Bridge is better(!) than LR.
The filtering UI in Bridge is smarter. The LR filtering is a poor copy of Br's adaptive filter panel. But because LR is a DB and Br a File Browser, Br will always be slower at searching through large folder numbers. Swings, roundabouts.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 10:17:44 pm »

Tried that but it still won't release the crop markers on the photo with the enter key.  I have to select another tool to release the image and then I get a dialog box asking if I want to crop. :(

Not production friendly.
It works in a slightly different way from before, which may take some adjusting, but I'm so glad PS has adopted LR's way superior way of cropping. Been asking for that ever since LR appeared.
You may find some useful info here which may help you understand why it works differently.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up