Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing custom catalog back to default file names?  (Read 1484 times)

walter.sk

Changing custom catalog back to default file names?
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:11:17 pm »

For some reason I can't fathom now, when I made my catalog (holding 3 big internal drives worth of pictures) I did it by opening New Catalog, which I then named.  I also deleted old LR2 catalogs.  Sometimes when I open LR4 it does not find my catalog even though I set the dialog box to always open that catalog.

Now, I would much prefer to have that catalog renamed to what the LR4 default name would be, and place it in the default LR4 catalog folder structure. (I'm using Win7-64 bits).  I want the catalog on my C: drive where LR4 would put it by default.

What is the default folder, and default name for the catalog and associated files?  Would moving and renaming the folder and files work?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:14:23 pm by walter.sk »

Robert55

Re: Changing custom catalog back to default file names?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:43:21 pm »

I somehow doubt that it will solve your problem but I think the default location is:
C:\users\yourusername\my images\Lightroom
and the default name [at least in the beta] is Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat

Mac Mahon

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:31:53 pm »

Walter

I'm not sure I really understand your problem but I think you have created an LR4 catalog which you now wish to relocate and to rename.

This will take a little bit of time, but I think the cleanest way to do it will be to create a new, empty, catalog with LR4 - which  think it will do in the default location - and then import the data from your old catalog.

One caveat:  I'm not sure whether, if you created the earlier catalog by importing from an LR3 catalog, whether importing form an LR4 one might have the effect of upgrading all develop information to PV2012 which you may not want.

Tim

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 11:37:03 am »

Thanks, Mac and Robert.  I will try creating a new catalog and importing the one I made into it.  I have not upgraded my LR2 catalog, so that should not present a problem.

walter.sk

Success!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:19:45 pm »

I imported my catalog into a new catalog, which I named Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat.  After everything finished, I gingerly deleted the various catalogs and folders that had been generated, closed everything and restarted LR4.  I held my breath, but it worked like a charm.  Now I have only one catalog and LR knows where to find it.  Whew!
Pages: [1]   Go Up