Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase P30+ on a Hasselblad H2???  (Read 4968 times)

pjtn

Phase P30+ on a Hasselblad H2???
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:12:34 am »

I'm looking at purchasing a Phase One P30+ second hand and then finding a Hasselblad H2 to use with it. I'm only new to medium format and have no idea what mixing backs and cameras entails. Is there anything to be aware of?

My goal is to shoot long exposure landscapes of around 3 minutes. How well does the Phase One back communicate with the H2 camera? Do I just set the long exposure in the camera and shoot, or is it more compacted than that.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Phase P30+ on a Hasselblad H2???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:43:09 am »

PhaseOne backs can be used seamlessly with the "open" Hasselblad bodies, which are the H1, H2 and the new H4X (which I believe you need an H1 or H2 to upgrade to). I used a P65+ with an H2 and Hasselblad HC lenses for 2 weeks in Costa Rica and had no communication issues between the back and body and everything worked seamlessly. Of course, you must turn on the Back and the Body separately when not using a fully integrated Hasselblad system, but then again this is the same for the PhaseOne 645DF with my IQ180 (only hasselblad systems will let you turn on one button since the back and the body are powered through the same battery, the PhaseOne backs and bodies are powered separately).
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

pjtn

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:55:00 am »

Thanks Brian, that puts my mind at ease if I go through with this option. It's either getting a P30+ with a H1 or H2, maybe a Mamiya if it comes up, or getting a H3DII-31 or H3D-39. Because I want to do long exposures the P30+ seems like a better option, the Hasselblads would need exposure stacking which is a pain.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:59:56 am »

I agree, when I had my H3Dii-39ms I did not find it had very good long exposure capabilities, and although i cannot say for certain, I would not expect the other Hasselblad backs to be any better.

Also, Have you ever used the Hasselblad H system? For me, I found it to be quite uncomfortable in use, but also found the lenses to be amazing optically and ergonomically, with amazing build quality. For me the H bodies were always lacking. That is why I switched to PhaseOne and the 645DF. You don't need to shell out for a full 645DF, the P30+ will be right at home on any of the Mamiya 645AFD (I, II, or III I believe it will work on all but also don't quote me on this) which are all excellent and can be had in good condition for <1000 USD and in excellent to perfect condition certainly for under 1750 USD. I found them to be ergonomically superior shooting film with a 645AFD camera and then switched to the 645DF when I got my IQ180.

You can read about my thoughts on the Hasselblad H System, and the 645DF with Leaf and PhaseOne backs on my website http://www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com

pjtn

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:17:55 am »

Someone has done a test for me with the H3D-39 at 64 seconds and converted the file in Phocus. It's not too bad looking and virtually no hot pixels, I was surprised.

I've used the H4D-60 and thought it was quite good and well thought out but I have never used the Mamiya bodies. As far as I'm aware you need a timer remote for long exposures on the Mamiya whereas the Hasselblad can be set in camera?

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:29 am »

I believe your right, or at least it has a better menu for setting up long exposures possibly, never really experimented with that to any large extent. Longest I did I think was between 15-45seconds so I don't have much experience in that regard.

The Mamiya cable release is nice and simple though....I rather like it + I believe it can take a mechanical cable release screwed into the shutter release button.

It all comes down to ergonomics + cost concerns

Hasselblad H lenses are going to cost more, if you have a Hasselblad V system you could look at backs for that, if you have a Mamiya RZ/RB you could look at backs for that, and Mamiya 645 is excellent, but also low costs for lenses, and such second hand in perfect condition, which is something to consider.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:25:11 am »

The Mamiya cable release is nice and simple though....I rather like it + I believe it can take a mechanical cable release screwed into the shutter release button.

Yes, all versions of the Phase One / Mamiya 645 bodies can take a standard mechanical cable release. The shutter release on the body has a standard thread for it - works as simply as screwing the cable release in.

Of course, you must turn on the Back and the Body separately when not using a fully integrated Hasselblad system, but then again this is the same for the PhaseOne 645DF with my IQ180 (only hasselblad systems will let you turn on one button since the back and the body are powered through the same battery, the PhaseOne backs and bodies are powered separately).

Just FYI a firmware update is planned for the IQ+DF systems that would allow the back and body to both be turned on from the body.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:26:24 am »

Just FYI a firmware update is planned for the IQ+DF systems that would allow the back and body to both be turned on from the body.

I will like that

ondebanks

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 01:14:42 pm »

Funny, my old Kodak DCS 645M is turned on directly from the Mamiya body (but can also be turned on in isolation when off the body, e.g. for browsing and processing images to jpg/tiff internally).

I am frequently surprised by how many times MFD comes up with "new" features, which are actually old, forgotten ones...

As far as I'm aware you need a timer remote for long exposures on the Mamiya whereas the Hasselblad can be set in camera?

On the AFD, 30 seconds was the max programmable shutter speed (beyond that you need manually-controlled Bulb, or mechanical Time mode for film on the AFD). The AFDII can increase this from 1 to 60 minutes with a Custom Function. And on any of the Mamiyas, the self-timer can be varied through quite a long range. So one can rig a "poor man's intervalometer" by programming the exposure time you want + programming the self-timer delay you want between frames + setting Continuous drive mode + keeping the shutter release locked open (mechanical cable release or electronic one).

Or better, you can adapt a cheap DSLR timer remote (intervalometer) to the Mamiya's electronic release port, as I have done. This will work with film or digital. I am not aware of any OEM one from Mamiya/PhaseOne.

Or your digital back may have a built in intervalometer (did I mention my old Kodak back? Yes, it has one  :) )

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up