Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-Pro review part 2  (Read 9739 times)

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
Re: X-Pro review part 2
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 12:09:29 pm »

Rough Fuji Roadmap apparently:

2012:

14mm f/2.8
    18-72mm f/4.0 with Image Stabilization

2013:

28mm f/2.8 pancake
    23mm f/2.0
    72-200mm f/4.0 Image Stabilization
    12-24mm f/4.0 Image Stabilization

One assumes the zooms will be EVF/LCD only. One also assumes the 23mm is being delayed somewhat in order to give them time to release an X100 MkII with the X-trans sensor so as not to eat their own breakfast.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:11:46 pm by Craig Arnold »

Richard Marsh

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 07:10:32 pm »

Btw: 1/52nd is alnmost certainly chosen based on the 1/focal length rule.  That rule was dodgy for film and is WAY too slow for digital.  Doubling it would be much better. [/color]

Can setting to Shutter priority keep the speeds up above the 1/52nd?

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 10:08:56 pm »

I believe it will knock down your aperture to wide-open before jacking up the ISO.  Just all bad and stupid when the fix is so simple.

Fuji: greater optical/sensor engineering, great design, awful UI. 
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Pelao

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 10:33:17 pm »

I believe it will knock down your aperture to wide-open before jacking up the ISO.  Just all bad and stupid when the fix is so simple.

Fuji: greater optical/sensor engineering, great design, awful UI. 

Hi
Thanks for the review.

On the Fuji forums Adrian has been operating as follows:
This time I've put my own advice into practice and have been shooting with shutter speeds ranging from 1/125 to 1/250, selecting the aperture manually and letting the camera sort the ISO.

His brief review is here:

http://handcarryonly.com/tagged/fuji

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 09:08:32 am »

I think the real point is that a $2K camera, released in 2012, should not require work-arounds for dead-basic programming functionality.

- N.

Pelao

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 12:22:24 pm »

I think the real point is that a $2K camera, released in 2012, should not require work-arounds for dead-basic programming functionality.

- N.

Ouch. Don't shoot the messenger. ;)

I hear you though. I'm optimistic it will be something they'll change in due course.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 08:33:12 pm »

The messenger is entirely safe.  :-X The shots are at Fuji.  Like seriously....

The Fujiguys, who I deal with, are really excellent at taking user feedback upstream to Tokyo, so let's hope HQ listens.

- N,

stever

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 10:05:25 am »

having spent a frustrating time with the X10 before returning it (primarily for IQ issues, not the UI and menu stupidities) i've got to wonder if anyone in Fuji engineering has ever used any digital camera in a serious way

BJL

X-Pro: OVF magnification choices and future lens plans
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:07 am »

Rough Fuji Roadmap apparently:

2013:

28mm f/2.8 pancake
    23mm f/2.0
Thanks. The 28mm in particular might dictate the FOV coverage of the higher magnification option in the OVF. In fact that is almost exactly "normal" in the sense of focal length equal to frame diagonal size, so maybe that is where Fujifilm chose to place the higher OVF magnification.

MikeMac

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 11:32:54 am »

Nick, thanks for the review, really interesting. I've just moved out to Russia so it might be a while before I get my hands on one, so good to read your review. Besides, still learning and loving my X100:-)

having spent a frustrating time with the X10 before returning it (primarily for IQ issues, not the UI and menu stupidities) i've got to wonder if anyone in Fuji engineering has ever used any digital camera in a serious way
I had similar thoughts when I first got the X100, especially compared to the high-end Nikons I have used professionally for years. But the more I use it, the more I read 'X100 tips and tricks' blog posts, the more I understand the camera and think it might actually be a work of genius (for the exterior controls, you are right about the menus). It's not intuitive, there is a learning curve, but it has 'something' and really works well as a photographic tool (for me) now. Is this similar to the car comfort thing where they design the seats to be comfortable in the showroom, but then you drive 500miles in it and your hurt? Maybe Fuji are aiming for long term 'comfort' at the expense of first impressions?
And Fuji continue to release firmware that has transformed the X100. Maybe the XPro1 will be the same.
Fuji has made some pretty legendary cameras in their time (how I hope they have a digital X-Pan in the R&D lab), I would think there is still some experience coming through. I know a lot of the Fuji X100 website is marketing blurb, but I did get the underlying impression of real love for what they do and knowledge.
PS I am in full Fuji love mode at the moment, I've tried to make objective points, but on re-reading realised I have maybe fanboy gushed:-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up