Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake District Winter cloud break  (Read 1541 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Lake District Winter cloud break
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:46:38 pm »

Spent three days in the Lakes at the end of Jan...poor weather/high winds for all of it so shot from the tops were out...it was a waiting game for a break in the clouds.

Lake District...Winter cloud break.  Explored 19.3.12 #40 by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Michael H. Cothran

Re: Lake District Winter cloud break
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:48:46 pm »

Nice image. My only comment would be that the highlights might be too bright - pointing to the snow covered hill on the left, and the bright sky area in the middle.

shaunw

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:13:47 pm »

Nice image. My only comment would be that the highlights might be too bright - pointing to the snow covered hill on the left, and the bright sky area in the middle.

Yes i know what you meaning  re the highlights do look a little bright, i set the white point below 240 i think it was in this one but it still might be bright for this scene?

Thanks for comments/thoughts
Shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams

rambler44

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:24:12 pm »

Yup,I see what you mean about the white on the hill top.  Remember brightness draws our attention.  You might be able to darken it a bit with a mask.  Over all the colors work very well with nice soft contrasts.  I can feel the cold, probably because of the bluish tone.  The foreground works well to add depth to the scene.  I find this a very pleasing composition.  I notice that if you start along the right side bottom and work your way up along the side edge, at each level there is a strong diagonal line leading slightly upwards.  The foreground, the edge leading up the near snow covered hill, the water lines widening then narrowing as they go out, and then the far shore and finally the distant mountains subtly form almost parallel diagonal lines.  Our eyes are lead nicely into the background.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:32:46 pm by rambler44 »

shaunw

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 03:10:23 pm »

Thanks Rambler44

Pages: [1]   Go Up