Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Hidden" printer profile?  (Read 7177 times)

dwnelson

"Hidden" printer profile?
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:27 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to transfer a printer profile from my 2011 iMac to my 2011 Macbook Air so I can print from my MBA. The printer profile appears in ColorSync Utility, in the Epson 3880 dialog box and also in Lightroom 4, and my prints are well-calibrated, but it is not in my Macintosh HD\Library\ColorSync\Profiles folder, nor in any of its subfolders. When I use Spotlight to search for the .icc file, it can't be found. I attached a screen shot. I'm running Lion (10.7.3)

The profile was generated with a ColorMunki Photo. I have scoured all of my Epson and ColorMunki and X-rite folders on my iMac searching for this ICC file, but it's nowhere. Actually, I generated about a half dozen printer profiles with the CM Photo and I can't find any of their ICC files. I even enabled the viewing of hidden files, as described here: http://www.mikesel.info/show-hidden-files-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/  Still, nothing.

Where did my printer profile go? Even better, can I copy this invisible yet functional ICC profile to my Macbook Air?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:38:03 am by dwnelson »

tatuvaaj

• 500px
Re: "Hidden" printer profile?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:30:03 am »

It is in your home folder, not in system wide /Library folder. For example, my profiles are in /Users/tatuvaaj/Library/ColorSync/Profiles.

dwnelson

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:31:53 am »

I don't have a Library folder in my home folder, Macintosh HD/Users/dan27. See first screen shot.

I have a Library folder in my Macintosh HD/Users/Shared folder, but the profiles aren't there. See the 2nd and 3rd screen shots.

The search continues...

tatuvaaj

• 500px
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:08 am »

Hi,

User's Library folder is hidden in Finder by default. You can get there by holding down alt/option key and clicking Finder's "Go" menu. Then select Library.

Another way to navigate there is to open Terminal and typing "cd ~/Library;open ." and hitting enter.

dwnelson

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:54:25 am »

User's Library folder is hidden in Finder by default. You can get there by holding down alt/option key and clicking Finder's "Go" menu. Then select Library.

Another way to navigate there is to open Terminal and typing "cd ~/Library;open ." and hitting enter.

It worked! Thank you! :)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:21:28 am »

Great tip! Thank you!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:33:04 am »

Mac OS 10.7 Lion Apple made the user library folder hidden by default which seems unnecessary. There are three ways to unhide it.

Method 1:
Hold down the Alt (Option) key when using the Go menu. The user library folder is listed below the current users home directory.  

Method 2:
In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.In the Go To Folder dialog, type ~/Library Click Go.

Method 3:
This method makes the user library folder permanently visible but requires the use of Terminal (not for the novice user):

Launch Terminal from the Utilities folder.
In Terminal type the following command and type Return key:

1. chflags nohidden ~/Library

Enter administrator password and then type Return key.
Type Exit and quit Terminal.

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up