Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusing the Zeiss 21mm Lens  (Read 1417 times)

billy

Focusing the Zeiss 21mm Lens
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:57:07 pm »

I use the Zeiss ZE lens on various canon bodies ( 1ds3, 5dmk2, and soon 5dmk3 ) for stills and video and I am really having problems focusing it. As most of you know when using a lens this wide nothing ever really 'snaps' into focus through the viewfinder unless you are close to the subject. I am shooting people, architecture, and landscapes.

stills: I have to use live view to focus it, which is impossible when shooting people ( the way I shoot ). I tried just using the 'focus confirmation ' feature but it did not seem accurate. Any ideas on how to achieve focus while shooting stills in a quicker manner?

video:
 I bought it because I thought the barrel rotation would have more room than canon lenses when adjusting focus from say 5 feet to 12 feet, to use with my red rock follow focus, but it does not feel like it has much more room than canon lenses. Am I correct? any tricks I should know? I am a novice with video but am quickly learning.

Any other users info and stories are appreciated here. I might sell it and get a 24mm lens that solves some of these problems so recommendations are welcome.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:59:15 pm by billy »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: Focusing the Zeiss 21mm Lens
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:32:16 pm »

Sounds like a focusing screen problem. There are alternative screens that are designed for manual focusing.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
Re: Focusing the Zeiss 21mm Lens
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:39:06 am »

I dont have a problem focusing my 21mm.

Dont forget to calibrate the focus confirmation with the micro adjust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up