Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best techniques for multi-row panoramas using tilt/shift lens  (Read 29055 times)

elf

Re: Best techniques for multi-row panoramas using tilt/shift lens
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 12:17:19 am »

Thanks for the advice. I'll look at aperture stacking.

I was planning to take 2 or 3 shots at different focus points, each at f/11, with 100% overlap for each tile in a row. I would then have say, 40% overlap between neighbouring columns and rows. In post-processing I would first stitch the stack of focal point tiles then stitch the stacked tiles from left to right along one row and finally stitch the rows together. I will no doubt suffer from repetitive strain injury after all this. There will be a lot of shots to take.

But I'll also read up on aperture stacking.

3 or 4 shots at each frame will leave you with focus banding.  I'd recommend playing with a DoF calculator using a CoC of 1 to 1.5 pixels to see how many images you will need for each frame.  The closer the foreground is, the more shots you will need.  I'd also recommend just going outside and shooting the street in front of your house (assuming there's no traffic :) to see how many shots you'll need and what the focus distances will be.

Harold Merklinger's books and articles can also help in calculating how many images are required: http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/TIAOOFe.pdf

the_ether

Re: Best techniques for multi-row panoramas using tilt/shift lens
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 04:04:44 pm »

I hesitate to mention this, but all of the raw processing and post processing manipulations you are palnning on doing to getthe print size and detail resolution you want for this photo are more simply handled by renting a 4x5...

No, you are right. I had originally thought of using a medium or large format camera but then I'd read that Andreas Gursky uses a medium format camera and stitches shots together. Then the D800 was announced and I thought I'd go down that route. I should look again at a large format camera. Scanning such an image will cost a few bob.

@fike:
Keep us posted on your progress. I am excited to see your work.  Where are you planning to display this piece?

I will. It will take a couple of months though as I need to wait for the weather to improve and to plan the trip. If it does get exhibited it will probably be in London where I am based.

@elf:
3 or 4 shots at each frame will leave you with focus banding
Yes, I noticed from the thread that Justan pointed me to that I might need 5 or even 7 shots per tile. If I used the D800 that would imply up to 250 shots! A large format camera with tilting lens would seem to make more sense.

Some more thinking required. Thank you all for your kind advice.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up