Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is OSX 10.7 Lion OK Yet?  (Read 2514 times)

JimGoshorn

Is OSX 10.7 Lion OK Yet?
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:39:58 pm »

Since MobileMe is closing down 6/30 in favor of iCloud, if I want to keep my .Mac account active, I have to upgrade (?) to OSX 10.7 and I am wondering if the kinks are out yet.

Thanks!

Jim

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Is OSX 10.7 Lion OK Yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:40:28 pm »

(Edited on 3/20/2012  to include a more comprehensive photo software list:)

I've running it 24/7  for about about a month now, maybe a little longer with no hiccups. No problems with any of my photo apps (Lightroom 4, PsCS5, Helicon Focus pro, PTGui Pro, Epson and Canon print drivers, ColorThink 2.3, & i1 Profiler)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:14:05 am by Ellis Vener »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:09:34 pm »

By and large, no issues. That is once you feel you can live without Rosetta applications.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JimGoshorn

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »

No problem living without Rosetta. My main concern was with printing, video and the like. Going forward, color management looks like it is going to be a given unfortunately so I don't even count that anymore :(

Thanks!

Jim

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 05:44:37 pm »

Since MobileMe is closing down 6/30 in favor of iCloud, if I want to keep my .Mac account active, I have to upgrade (?) to OSX 10.7 and I am wondering if the kinks are out yet.

Yep, same boat here...and at 10.7.3 I think it's "safe" for at least a simple, non-production Mac if the hardware is recent. The older and more complicated the hardware, the greater the likelihood of some issues. There are still some bugs impacting Photoshop–generally mild, display driver related issues when using the GPU. Some people have to run Photoshop with the GPU set to basic or turn it off, which generally resolves the issues.

If you have 3rd party PCI cards, it's a little dicy...you should check to make sure the card maker has updated Lion drivers.

Personally, I've already upgraded my laptop to Lion without any real issues other than Rosetta issues and some older software not working. That's the same machine I use to sync my iPhone and iPad, so I'll be switching to the iClout shortly. But ,my main machine which is my production machine will only get switched when I'm out from underneath a bunch of projects already in the works, done. Maybe this summer (and after a 10.7.4 update and making sure all my 3rd party hardware will run).

Also remember when you switch to iCloud, iDisk does away...another factor in the event you use that a lot (me, not so much but occasionally).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:46:31 pm by Schewe »

JimGoshorn

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 05:53:57 pm »

This is my production Mac (2009 Nahalem 8 core 2.93) and I have the Apple provided upgrade video card (Radeon HD 4870). The only non-standard item is a Sonnet eSata card which I always check for updates.

Does this sound safe enough?

Thanks!

Jim

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:39:54 pm »

Does this sound safe enough?

Prolly, as long as you know for a fact your Sonnet eSata card is Lion compatible....

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 06:59:58 pm »

Since MobileMe is closing down 6/30 in favor of iCloud, if I want to keep my .Mac account active . . .

I don't use an iPhone so I have decided to try other methods: DropBox + CrashPlan.

So far, Drop Box syncs well across all my machines and it's quick and functions only when needed. Plus I can share DropBox folders with clients and other team members. Crash Plan is like an off-site Time Machine. It has backed up GBs of data from several machines. That took days (my entire iTunes library is now off-site  :) ), but now it simply checks for changes and uploads that data. It can run automatically, or manually, too.

I realize that iCloud provides 5GB free, which is probably fine for address/email data. But after Apple spiked .Mac, my level of trust decayed and I decided to look elsewhere.
~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up