Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S2 field test -  (Read 2825 times)

aboudd

• Aboud Dweck - A Body of Work
Leica S2 field test -
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:40:41 pm »

The testing of the Leica S2 has entered the shooting phase. I've posted an article with images on www.everything-foto.blogspot.com
A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.
www.dweckgallery.com

darylgo

Re: Leica S2 field test -
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:07:26 am »

I've only had a few minutes to review your excellent posting but one point struck me as I saw the size comparison pictures:  A medium format Leica is only slightly larger than a Nikon D3x, D3 or other FX format cameras.   The same was true back in the film days when Nikon went from a large F4 to a giant F5.  Carrying around a Nikon F5 as a landscape shooter was sheer overkill, both feature wise and sizewise, hence my move to medium format, at the time a Contax 645.  The same today as you show in your size comparison, the Leica S2 is not a whole lot bigger. 

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:03:06 am »

I've only had a few minutes to review your excellent posting but one point struck me as I saw the size comparison pictures:  A medium format Leica is only slightly larger than a Nikon D3x, D3 or other FX format cameras.  

The same applies to the sensor though. The size ratio is only about 1.5 compared to 24x36.

The question being, does this small size advantage counterbalance the technological advance of more recent offerings?

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:10:02 pm »

The same applies to the sensor though. The size ratio is only about 1.5 compared to 24x36.

The question being, does this small size advantage counterbalance the technological advance of more recent offerings?

Cheers,
Bernard

You're forgetting the mystique of marque, Bernard; it works miracles.

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:52:22 am by Rob C »

aboudd

• Aboud Dweck - A Body of Work
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:43:49 pm »

Only 50% larger than a 35MM FF sensor? I think that is quite a significant difference, coupled with the Leica glass, it is near magic.
A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.
www.dweckgallery.com

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:00:25 am »

Nikon make some nice lenses but none of them come anywhere near their S2 equivalent.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:52 am »

Nikon make some nice lenses but none of them come anywhere near their S2 equivalent.

I guess Nikon shooters must be lucky to have access to the excellent pool of relatively cheap Leica R and Zeiss ZF lenses then.  ;)

Frankly, it is pretty crazy that even the 280mm f4.0 APO Leica R, one of the best lenses ever designed and one that is the object of a good deal of speculation these days, is still cheaper on ebay than the cheapest of the Leica S2 lenses new.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up