Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Large in LR4  (Read 4537 times)

Phinius

• Violet Crown Photogaphs
Printing Large in LR4
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:46:06 am »

I usually print up to the 17" width of my Epson 3800 and have never really used the print to JPEG File print option. I now want to outsource the printing of a 24" X 36" version, but cannot get LR4 to go beyond 17" X 22"; it seems to have limited itself to the limits of my printer. Any thoughts on how to get LR4 to let me do what I want?

Thanks

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: Printing Large in LR4
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:19:10 pm »

Go to File>Page Setup. In the size area, go to 'User Defined' and it should allow you to specify whatever you want. When you export the file this parameter should be imbedded. I'm thinking this should work, but others feel free to correct me if I am off-base.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »

I'm thinking this should work, but others feel free to correct me if I am off-base.
I don't think it's that simple.
On Windows at least; Page setup takes you to the printer driver options, so it will only allow you to set up a size that your installed printer(s) support.

You might be able to work round that limitation if you have a PDF printer installed, or you could possible download a driver for a seriously big printer like an Epson 11880 that does support huge print sizes and then print to JPG.

I can't see any other way round this. Seems somewhat of an oversight on Adobe's part, maybe a feature request for LR5 ?

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:41:50 pm »

It did seem too easy! I agree with the previous post, maybe installing drivers for one of the large printers would allow you to specify a larger print size...please report back as to what you find out!

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:54:30 pm »

maybe installing drivers for one of the large printers would allow you to specify a larger print size...please report back as to what you find out!
It does here.

Phinius

• Violet Crown Photogaphs
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:26:00 pm »

Thanks for the idea--it worked like a charm.

Richowens

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 03:32:08 pm »

Another way...........In "Layout Style" choose Custom Package. Then in "Print Job" you can input your Custom File Dimensions. Just click on the numbers and change the dimensions by either scrubby mouse or typing in the number and hitting enter.

Rich

Rhossydd

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 03:46:17 pm »

Another way............ typing in the number and hitting enter.
That's far more elegant

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 02:30:50 am »

I don't think this is a Lightroom issue, but it is a Windows issue.  My answer was to install NitroPDF (which I've used for other things) and set that as the 'printer'.  Since it has no defined sizes, it allows me to create whatever page sizes I want.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rhossydd

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 04:26:18 am »

I don't think this is a Lightroom issue, but it is a Windows issue.
No, it IS a Lightroom issue, the problem isn't dependent on OS.

Simply put; you can only jpg create output larger than maximum of your printer if you use the custom package option.

Just another example of LR not being quite as well thought out as it could be*. A better solution would be to have that option on all print job dialogues when printing to jpg is selected.

*That's not a major criticism, but when so much is so good, unintuitive bumps like this intrude somewhat.

Electromen

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 01:34:34 pm »

I export the image and use the jpeg for prints.  The largest I've had made is 30"x72"

dmward

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 04:50:16 pm »

Hmmm,
I often print to JPG for sending to a lab.
Starting in LR3, maybe even 2.
Never had a problem with sizing the image.
Now you've got me wondering why it's so easy.
I select JPG as the printer.
Then tick the custom size box and put in the final size I want for the print.
Select the pixels per inch
Select the ICC profile
and click print.
Biggest print so far has been 24x36 for C print as well as Epson printer.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 02:59:00 am »

No, it IS a Lightroom issue, the problem isn't dependent on OS.

That's what I meant - i.e. I didn't know if it was also a problem in Lightroom for Mac.  Apparently, it is!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

dmward

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 04:53:06 pm »

I usually print up to the 17" width of my Epson 3800 and have never really used the print to JPEG File print option. I now want to outsource the printing of a 24" X 36" version, but cannot get LR4 to go beyond 17" X 22"; it seems to have limited itself to the limits of my printer. Any thoughts on how to get LR4 to let me do what I want?

Thanks

I'm still trying to figure out what you are doing the is causing this restriction.
I routinely print from Lightroom, including LR 4 to JPG for use by labs.
I have found no size limits at all. At least the 36x36 size I've printed to date.

Mark F

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 05:46:21 pm »

I recently had the same problem and solved it by exporting the file to a tif. Under the Image Sizing portion of the dialog box I set the resize parameters to the size, in inches, of the print wanted. I also upped the resolution to 240 dpi from LR's setting of 180. The only downside was that the tif file was quite large, 220 megs. A jpeg file would have been smaller but size was not an issue.
Mark

aduke

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 09:33:25 pm »

I believe that the problem is due to trying to use the Print module for this. As a test, I just used Export to create a JPG on the desktop. I set the Image Resizing to 54 by 54 inches, Sharpen for matte paper, amount standard. LR4 happily complied, creating a 70MB 54 by 36 JPG out of my 18 MP image. My printer, a 4880, did not seem to matter :D.

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up