Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston : Can someone help me out with gear.  (Read 15642 times)

Aryan Aqajani

Re: Boston : Can someone help me out with gear.
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:14 am »

I just wanted to say that Frank Doorhof is one of the nicest down to earth photographers I have ever known in this commercially dying industry. This man is kind enough to share with his hard earn knowledge for free every time ones send an email asking repetitive questions that thousands photographers have already asked him! He does not have a big head big a big heart that love to help other fellow photographers wherever they are, in my case, I am in Melbourne, Australia!

Thanks Frank for answering my questions the soonest you can in the past couple of years.
Aryan Aqajani - Photographer in Melbourne, Australia
Website | Blog | Facebook

design_freak

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2012, 12:04:09 pm »

Hi Frank,
I e-mail my friend regarding your needs. If he is in US he will help you.

Best regards,
DF

LKaven

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2012, 06:14:44 pm »

I guess I still think this should be no big deal.  Whatever Frank was asking for involved a negotiation over trading favors, the terms of which, by their ad hoc nature, you can't really proffer.  I saw no indication of quid without quo. 

As for promotion.  I think everyone should have some opportunity to promote their work in a collegial way through this site.  The entire site is a bit of a home-brew club for medium-format photographers, complete with industry tie-ins and workshop and video promotion.  And so be it.  Those who truly abuse the community are run out of town in very short order.

Given that Frank has been around here for years, posting images from his workshops in the "professional work" thread, I should think that he would be accorded as a member of the community in good standing.  I can't see where he's done anything to change that.

bwana

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2012, 09:10:05 pm »

Maybe we need karma points attached to our posts....I am privileged to get honest feedback from some really smart people on this site...I am also offended by people who feel they are the law/police and are quick to judge others. I do remember the net as a more civil place, where people would share freely and always seemed to to turn to humor and levity even in the most adverse settings.

ondebanks

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:37 pm »

One of my favourite quotes is from sitcom writer Graham Linehan, in his 'Father Ted - the Complete Scripts':
"you can never underestimate the desire some people have to be offended"

That was certainly the first thing that sprang to my mind, at seeing some people claiming to be "offended" by Frank's totally innocuous request.

Ray

fredjeang

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 01:12:57 pm »

Enjoy.

All this isn't that important. I guess if the thread had cross the limit, the adminisrators would have warned or close it.

Frank is a nice person and I think we all like him in this forum. In a question of days all this noise will remain forgotten.

A video frame of the latest in editing process to change the buzz.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:40:33 pm by fredjeang »

BerniesDad

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 05:24:16 pm »

i think this article sums up what happened here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/may/08/change-life-asker-guesser

i found it rather eye-opening.

"We are raised, the theory runs, in one of two cultures. In Ask culture, people grow up believing they can ask for anything – a favour, a pay rise– fully realising the answer may be no. In Guess culture, by contrast, you avoid "putting a request into words unless you're pretty sure the answer will be yes… A key skill is putting out delicate feelers."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:06:54 pm by BerniesDad »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2012, 12:26:48 am »

The horse is dead...long live the horse.

Really, this whole thread has progressed into the absurd...and Frank has already flown out of the Netherlands and is prolly getting ready for PSW DC.

So, to everybody: the horse is dead...he's already been turned into cat food (you know, they eat horses in France?). Please quit beating the dead horse...he's dead already.

There's no reason to keep hitting this poor thing (on either side of the fence).

I think it will be a cold day in hell if Frank decides to ask much from the LuLa community (regardless of the support he ended up getting from some).

I guess most Americans don't understand Europeans very well. The majority of Americans don't even have passports and have never traveled outside our shores. Too bad, the world at large is an interesting place and without a lot of the "tension" caused by American, uh, well, ignorance. And if you are a Republican Tea Party Member and you think this is directed at you, you are correct.

The USA may be the most prosperous country in the world, but we aren't the most understanding and tolerant...sorry, but we really just don't understand the rules of more gentile civilizations...we still kinda think we're the center of the universe.

bcooter

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2012, 03:38:43 am »

I think it is easy to generalize.

The size of the country has a great deal to do with travel and passport compliance.  Usually the larger and more diverse a country the less people travel abroad, which makes sense.

Though the figures are murky most common thought is 21 to 34% of American's have passports, about 10% less than Canadians.

Quoted from a French report the Dutch travel more then any other Europeans. 71% of the people questioned have in the past 12 months been out of Holland. Belgium was 2nd with 68%. People in France, Italy and Spain traveled the least with only 1 in 5 leaving the country in the past 12 months, but most of these statistics are not from official census or facts.

Now I've traveled and worked in most the world and though I've obviously seen cultural differences, I find goodness and kindness or lack there of  comes from a personal viewpoint and personal experience.  Usually government borders, religion or economics have little to do with how generous a person is or isn't.

I do know I try not to paint every culture with a broad brush.

In regards to Mr. X, rightly or wrongly he got his desired result, which is equipment use for free.

Medium format kit in Boston rents for about $550 a day with one or two lenses.  Since Mr. X probably spent about 30 minutes on this thread I think $550 for 30 minutes is a good return.

Some people will like that, some won't, but the results are the results.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:42:09 am by bcooter »

MrSmith

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 05:54:33 am »

"The USA may be the most prosperous country in the world"

whatever gave you that idea?!?  :D

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 07:30:25 am »

Sponsoring a workshops can be done with door prices, gear or financial contributions.
Often starting at much more than 550.00

So I REALLY think we both got what we wanted.
I REALLY stress that it's not a FREEBIE.

I could have done the workshop with a DSLR, I could have borrowed Brendans Hasselblad (the organizer of the workshops) however because I normally promote Leaf I wanted to hook up with a dealer and ask if he/she would be interested in having some free promotion/publication/demo options. OR a student who wanted a free workshop.

Seeing the workshops are rated at 499.00 US I think the student would have broken even, and seeing the sponsoring we normally get from a company for the workshops I think the sponsor who now lends us the camera is also getting a good deal.

Again, I'm not the kind of person you portray me to be.
90% of the promotion I do for Leaf I do without getting payment, although I do get some nice deals on service, sometimes upgrades (but not that much) and I can often borrow gear when I want to test something, 100% of the images they use from me in advertising, promotion mails, website and brochures they get for free.

So please don't call me to be out for freebies, I give away ALOT of freebies, before asking something in return.

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 10:04:47 am »

The horse is dead...long live the horse.

Really, this whole thread has progressed into the absurd...and Frank has already flown out of the Netherlands and is prolly getting ready for PSW DC.

So, to everybody: the horse is dead.who kill the horse?  why they kill the horse?  I was professional Jockey, in when i watch hose race, i hate when the jockey beat the horse for not reason! so whio kill rthe horse?  I travel all over Europe,Australia,Middle East,Asia and other, I didn't eat met in Asia at all, well Just in Nepal i did, because was so cold...But who kill the horse, then they eat the horse in France?  WTF  why they kill the horse then keep beating it before they eat it?  I hate horse killer.  Poor horse, was only one the kill or more then one?  ..he's already been turned into cat food...WHAT?  they turned the horse into CAT food?  WTF  how that happen?  I can't believed what i am reading, they killed the horse, they ate it, and the rest of the horses the turn it into CAT food..Poor horse, i guess live its you die for other survive. (you know, they eat horses in France?). Please quit beating the dead horse.They should, the horse is DEAD...Poor horse,,..he's dead already.How they kill the horse?  gun shot?  poor horse

There's no reason to keep hitting this poor thing (on either side of the fence).Oh boy, they in both side? poor horse didn't have a chance...

I think it will be a cold day in hell if Frank decides to ask much from the LuLa community (regardless of the support he ended up getting from some).

I guess most Americans don't understand Europeans very well. The majority of Americans don't even have passports and have never traveled outside our shores. Too bad, the world at large is an interesting place and without a lot of the "tension" caused by American, uh, well, ignorance. And if you are a Republican Tea Party Member and you think this is directed at you, you are correct.

Why to go after Republican?  I am register DEM? but no way I will vote for the guy the U have there..Why go into political now?I'm personally believe, if you work for your money, its yours, in no way you should pay more then anyone else.  U poor TO BAD, stay poor or found a JOB...As i believe I think the only people it doesnt scare and who Obama hussein will be celebrating are the radical muslims, terrosists groups and of course the American commi's as well as the people who are depressed and need someone to hold their hand.

HE IS A LIAR and is BAD for America.  This should be closed ,and lets frank do his JOB.

May God bless all

BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

design_freak

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2012, 11:24:37 am »

It got really weird ... I can not believe that a simple request for help made ​​such an emotion. 

:-[
Best regards,
DF

fredjeang

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2012, 11:27:58 am »

You know what it smells?

It smells Michael pressing the red button: thread closed.

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2012, 01:27:09 pm »

??? ??? BlasR.... umm, what?

RobertJ

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2012, 06:14:13 pm »

You guys are ridiculous.

Frank is a teacher.

Nowadays with the Internet, any idiot who can start a website can pretend to be a teacher (cough, Ken Rockwell, cough), but Frank actually teaches people through his workshops.  So what if he's sponsored?

Frank, I'm a bastard American as well, but if I had the gear that you needed and I was in the areas that you're traveling too, it would be yours for free, without question. 

TH_Alpa

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2012, 06:34:13 pm »

+1 Blas

The most philosophical attitude in a thread otherwise so negative.

Having run workshops for over 15 years, worldwide, I have understood Frank's post and primary intention, included what is "without" saying.
I don't believe that this could be misunderstood or understood differently by either american or european natives.
it's only common sense, IMHO.

Best regards
Thierry

So when u ask for a favor, you should pay?  A free workshop, and all its OK?
Favor mean you do not get pay, or pay.

Why the world became be, give me,give me and give me more?  You guy will die, maybe rich, and what you will do with the money?

If you do a favor, walk away, feel good, and move on, why you need to be pay? If you always expect to be pay, never call it a favor, even if you get pay a cent.

I do not know him, and if he would it use my camera even if i have chance to go to his workshop, I wouldn't, for free.  Maybe you will say, but you giving something for free, so what, I do not expect to be pay.

Leave the guy alone, he have a camera already.  BTW I am going to DR anyone there can let me drive a van for 16 people for 12 days?

If you are going to let me use it, remember, I give zero back.  I will send a post card, saying how great all was, and saying thank you.

Clyde RF

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2012, 06:42:40 pm »

I might as well chime in my two cents before this thread founders in absurdity and achieves it's justifiably imminent conclusion. Above and beyond my surprise at the "mountain out of molehill" mentality exhibited by several herein, I am even more astounded by the fact that I can find myself to be in agreement on the main issue under discussion -- with BlasR, whose political orientation differs so much from my own. But he, Schewe, and others have made points in favour of Frank's position that (though they are accurate and appropriate), should not even have been required.

Regards, Clyde    

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2012, 09:33:47 pm »

So, to everybody: the horse is dead.who kill the horse?  why they kill the horse?  I was professional Jockey, in when i watch hose race, i hate when the jockey beat the horse for not reason! so whio kill rthe horse?  I travel all over Europe,Australia,Middle East,Asia and other, I didn't eat met in Asia at all, well Just in Nepal i did, because was so cold...But who kill the horse, then they eat the horse in France?  WTF  why they kill the horse then keep beating it before they eat it?  I hate horse killer.  Poor horse, was only one the kill or more then one?  ..he's already been turned into cat food...WHAT?  they turned the horse into CAT food?  WTF  how that happen?  I can't believed what i am reading, they killed the horse, they ate it, and the rest of the horses the turn it into CAT food..Poor horse, i guess live its you die for other survive. (you know, they eat horses in France?). Please quit beating the dead horse.They should, the horse is DEAD...Poor horse,,..he's dead already.How they kill the horse?  gun shot?  poor horse

Well, I almost believed it...I started trying to read the response and thought, jeeesh, this guy has never heard the idiom "beating a dead horse". But I got wrapped up in the drama of his writing...and of course presumed his native language couldn't be English so I was trying real hard to parse the meaning...foolish me :~)

This is kinda a topper for this thread–which has almost entered the Twilight Zone. Weird factoid, the weekend I moved to Rochester NY to start school at RIT, Ron Serling died at the U of Rochester hospital...ok, maybe not weird for the rest of the world but weird for me being a TZ fan...

Just sayin'

P.S. Actually, I don't have a problem with Republicans in general, but I have a real problem with the Tea Party "Movement"...apparently, so do Republicans...

RobertJ

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2012, 09:41:42 pm »

BlasR's reply to Jeff should go into some sort of Luminous Landscape Forum Hall of Fame, for being so unbelievable, it's awesome.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up