Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston : Can someone help me out with gear.  (Read 15644 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Boston : Can someone help me out with gear.
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:51:09 am »

I will be teaching two workshops in Boston on the 30th and 31th (March).
Because we will be traveling around a lot, starting out teaching at PSW DC, than B&H in NY and finally Boston I'm planning on leaving my Medium Format camera at home.
Of course for the workshops in Boston it would be nice to be able to shoot with the MF, but it's the only time I will be using it so I wonder if someone can hook me up with a Phase One/Leaf system for those two days.

Greetings,
Frank
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:48:18 pm by Frank Doorhof »

darr

Re: Boston : Can someone lend me something...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:18:29 am »

For free?

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 06:23:50 am »

Hassy isn't good enough? :)

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »

@Darr,
I think the promotion they will get from it, will be more than a rent price.
I'm already promoting the system and normally travel with it, but with this trip the risk is a bit too much.
I can also do the workshops with a Canon system (no problem at all), but I think it's always a great opportunity to show your gear in a high-end workshop and show first hand what it can do.

We do this worldwide with Elinchrom (never paid for a rent/loan system) but the dealer always got more than he expected :)

It's a win-win situation.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »

Editor/art buyer: Give us your stuff for nothing because of the exposure you will get.

Artist: But I have expenses.

Editor/art buyer: You need to have a greater vision and we don't like working with those motivated by money.

Artist: I guess I can work as a waiter.

Editor/Art Buyer: That's the spirit, But I have to go. I need to pay my printer and then cash my pay check at the bank.

(But I am sure Frank is not making money from his workshops, so I guess that it is all right.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:05:16 pm by theguywitha645d »

theguywitha645d

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:11:34 pm »

I'm already promoting the system and normally travel with it, but with this trip the risk is a bit too much.

But why do you expect someone else to take the risk for you?

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:17:17 pm »

Let's put it this way, a lot of companies are very happy when I use their gear. For the simple reason that they can sell their gear, as I said before it's a win win situation. Often with workshops I'm also having the guys from the gear in the group so they can help out students with specific questions and let them try out gear, we recently did a larger workshop with a Medium format reseller who brought 5-6 bodies with which the students were allowed to shoot (on their own card).

I think it's more :

Artist : can I please hang my work here because I can sell it.
Gallery : but of course you can hang your work here because we get a nice commission when we sell it.

Also do realize that many, many workshops are sponsored, this varies from door prices to gear.
Elinchrom makes sure that I get my gear in most countries, I promote Elinchrom.
Companies like NIK, OnOne, Expoimaging, Tethertools etc. give doorprices or small prices for raffles on the bigger workshops and they are certainly not doing it for free :D

When I promoted Expoimaging on the recent Professional Imaging one hour after the show there was no flash bender available anymore on the expo floor :D

As mentioned before it's a win-win situations for both parties. And they go really nice together.

Do remember however I'm not a "starting" workshop teacher :-)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:21:20 pm by Frank Doorhof »

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 01:21:05 pm »

In answer to the risk.
I have to travel from the Netherlands to Washington DC where I teach at PSW (Canon), then we drive to New York for a seminar at B&H (no camera needed) and then we drive to Boston for two day workshops which I can teach with a Canon (no problem at all) however personally I love to use the MF system.

If no one wants to help out, no problem I'm shooting the workshop with a Canon DSLR, if someone wants to help out (and it's already in motion) than we can work together with that company and promote their products.

For local companies there is no risk, but carrying two camera systems in a plane and through several cities in this tour is a risk and because I only shoot in Boston with it I'm looking for a "partner".

Again, if you don't get it, don't worry the whole workshop market is a bit "weird" but companies are more than happy when you promote them in the level I'm teaching.

bcooter

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 08:36:28 pm »

In answer to the risk.
I have to travel from the Netherlands to Washington DC where I teach at PSW (Canon), then we drive to New York for a seminar at B&H (no camera needed) and then we drive to Boston for two day workshops which I can teach with a Canon (no problem at all) however personally I love to use the MF system.

If no one wants to help out, no problem I'm shooting the workshop with a Canon DSLR, if someone wants to help out (and it's already in motion) than we can work together with that company and promote their products.

For local companies there is no risk, but carrying two camera systems in a plane and through several cities in this tour is a risk and because I only shoot in Boston with it I'm looking for a "partner".

Again, if you don't get it, don't worry the whole workshop market is a bit "weird" but companies are more than happy when you promote them in the level I'm teaching.

Frank,

I understand the risk, but Boston ain't like going to Iraq and that's why insurance exists.

We just arrived in Munich and I have 4 Camera cases I check.  I scarlet case, I RED 1 case, I canon case, I Sony case, Plus 2 cases of lightpanels, grip cases, stand cases, lens case, dit station, tripod caes, steadicam case,  . . . you get the idea.

I can and really do understand the problems with this and I also understand your promoting equipment, but can't you get Leaf or Phase to cough up a system for a few days?  They got dealers everywhere.

Wish you the best.

IMO

BC

mr purdy

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »

I can and really do understand the problems with this and I also understand your promoting equipment, but can't you get Leaf or Phase to cough up a system for a few days?  They got dealers everywhere.

Yes I am wondering why your usual partners can not loan stuff in Boston.

Also, if someone here were to volunteer, what does the loaner get out of handing you $20K worth of gear for a couple days? What exactly would the loaner have to promote there? (I guess I do not understand your proposition, and how it would benefit anyone other than yourself...?)

-mr purdy

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 09:04:24 pm »

@BC
We don't travel with a team, most of the time it's just me and my wife, plus normally I'm using the combination on more occasions, now we travel for 14 days only "needing" the kit two days that's why I asked. :)
We are insured of course by the way, luckily never needed it for stolen gear, but that does mean in a lot of cases we are constantly carrying around the two systems, and this trip that's a real burden because we move around a lot, that's why I mentioned the "risk".

I really do wonder whats wrong with people, it's just a question, I think hardly any reason to come tumbling down like this ?

Of course I also asked leaf/phase and in the meantime they are helping out, but we decided this rather last minute so I thought I could also ask here also just in case (thought we were all professionals), something I now regret. I feel like defending myself for something I really don't need to. If you think it's a weird question, than just don't bother with it. If the "loaner" would be private person he/she would have gotten a free workshop of course. I'm not the kind of person to just "take" there are plenty of those but not me. There's always something in return that goes without saying.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:13:13 pm by Frank Doorhof »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 09:08:32 pm »

And not for nothing, but Frank is a good shooter and does good workshops. I've seen him speak at Photoshop World. And yes, the workshop market IS weird...(I know, I do them). In the situation Franks is in, he's doing a variety of workshops and lectures in multiple locations. If this was a commercial shoot for a paying client, I have no doubt he what either ship what he needs or rent it. But the expenses of producing a workshop while on a multi city workshop schedule is different. I think what he was really asking is for some leads of dealers in Boston that he could approach for assistance.

BobDavid

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 09:11:32 pm »

Frank, it never hurts to ask. I do know a Blad dealer up there, but not PhaseOne.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:13:09 pm by BobDavid »

Schewe

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 09:12:56 pm »

Of course I also asked leaf/phase and in the meantime they are helping out, but we decided this rather last minute so I thought I could also ask here just in case, something I now regret. I feel like defending myself for something I really don't need to.

Frank, welcome to LuLa the home of the pit-bulls...once they get on to something, they peel the flesh right off your bone (and I'm as guilty as anybody :~)

You speak/write English really well...but sometimes your phraseology is a bit Euro...that can lead to miscommunications (sometimes rather humorous, sometimes not).

mr purdy

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 09:14:54 pm »

Frank, I do not blame you for asking, I might have done the same. However I would have offered something in exchange for the usage, instead of asking for a "loan," especially when you are charging a fee for the workshops I presume.

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »

As I find out indeed.
There was in no way any "bad intentions" behind this, I was indeed reaching out for dealer leads, or maybe a private person, in my opinion just a normal question spiraling out of control and leaving me wondering "what the heck just happened"

I did not mean the remark about the level of teaching in any disrespect or "arrogant" by the way, it's simply a fact that loaning gear when teaching workshops like we do, is not that weird and is done a lot, and I thought that was known by the people occupying the MF area..... Again I never wanted to sound "weird" maybe it is a translation thing.... What was it "lost in translation" ;)

bcooter

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 09:22:30 pm »

@BC
We don't travel with a team, most of the time it's just me and my wife,..........snip.

I'm not knocking Frank or personalize it, because though I don't know him, he seems like a good guy.    

Let's call him Mr. X so that way there are no names involved.

Given that clarity, we do have a team, but on this gig everyone is in europe, so all the equipment came with my producer (wife) and me.  We pulled every string we know to keep the baggage overage down to the thousand dollar range.  We've had this gig in pre production for two months, though didn't get a green light until two days ago.

Also we work from a bottom line, so every dollar spent impacts our net, so I really do understand.

I guess my point is Mr. X does a lot of promo for a lot of companies.  I would think those companies would be easy to get to toss over a few cameras for demo.

Now I'm not Mr. X, but I'd rather bite the bullet and bring my own cameras, that way I know everything will go smooth.

IMO

BC

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 09:29:47 pm »

@ron,
As mentioned before, indeed a private person would get a free workshop that goes without saying.

@bc,
When I need as in "need" the camera it travels with me, I've done so on many occasions, however in this case I can teach exactly the same workshop with a DSLR as with a MF system. Normally because I teach multiple workshops in one location it makes sense to bring my own MF camera, it gets used a lot plus we use it in our free time, this time however we don't have any free time between the workshops, which in most cases are seminars without camera, or expo floor demos which are easier with the DSLR (you know how heavy it is to carry around camera gear, and when running from one booth to the other and from one theater to the other is much easier with just one bag ;))

So in fact our whole list with the insurance company was already filled (we leave on monday) and last minute I did got the idea to maybe try to get a "load" system. And did not just want to ask phase or leaf and thought I would also share it here.

Schewe

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 09:44:40 pm »

I'm not knocking Frank or personalize it, because though I don't know him, he seems like a good guy.    

Yep...and a good teacher (if you can get past his continental English). Check out his website.

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:39 pm »

Oh please ............ Continental English
It's real Dutch English ;) lol that's much worse/better/funnier.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up