Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downloading LR  (Read 1288 times)

John Camp

Downloading LR
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:05:35 am »

Adobe has always let you install LR on two computers, as long as you only use one at a time. I want to install it on my main desk top and on my laptop. I know how to do that with a disk, but how do you do it as a download? Do you have to download the first copy, then do a computer-to-computer transfer on the second? Or can you download to both computers for one price?

Also, a guy at Samy's told me I could download a fully operation thirty-day trail version, then enter the code from a Samy's package, when they got their packaged versions. Will that in fact work?

sniper

Re: Downloading LR
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:42:30 am »

I'd just copy the downloaded file to dvd or pendrive and transfere it with that, it makes sense to back up the download anyway, you may need to reinstall lightroom at some point

David Hufford

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:01:45 am »

Not sure about the installation on a second computer, but I always just enter the serial number from LR disks to the 30 day trial. Should you ever somehow need to reinstall, simply downloading another trial version and entering the serial number works just fine, so I would think that it should be ok on 2 different computers since the source of the original installation does not seem to matter.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Richowens

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 03:06:55 am »

John,

You can download the program and use it for 30 days as a trial then buy a license. There is no difference between the trial and paid versions, just a serial.
 I suggest just download and install on each computer. The file is available online 24-7 on Adobe's site.
 You can purchase a serial from the Adobe Store at any time, they will email it to you. This I printer out to save even though my account with Adobe lists all my software and serial numbers back to CS2 and LR1.
 Just some of the options open to you.

Rich

P.S. Just before I came over to the form I processed a photo of my grandson playing in the pool. The photo was so blown out I have not been able to save it and others no matter what I tried (C!,NX2,LR3, RawTherapee, ACR6). With LR4 I have a usable photo.

Steve House

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:25:42 am »

Adobe has always let you install LR on two computers, as long as you only use one at a time. I want to install it on my main desk top and on my laptop. I know how to do that with a disk, but how do you do it as a download? Do you have to download the first copy, then do a computer-to-computer transfer on the second? Or can you download to both computers for one price?

Also, a guy at Samy's told me I could download a fully operation thirty-day trail version, then enter the code from a Samy's package, when they got their packaged versions. Will that in fact work?
  AFAIK, you can download the installation file as many times as you like, there's no counter on the number of times you've used the link on the email you received confirming your purchase.  What is counts is how many times the registration key is used. 

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:29:10 pm »

The policy of Adobe is to allow use on 2 computers, although in my experience they allow 5 to make up for files lost in hard drive crashes, etc. I do not go over 2 installs just because that is fair. The advice you have received is correct, just download the demo version and use your key or download a paid version and you will receive a key.  Then download the demo to your 2nd computer and use the previously supplied key to activate. It is easier to do than to explain! Also, new to LR4 is the ability to use the same key for both Mac and PC installs...you don't need to buy a separate version for the different platforms. And by the way, I now always install software via the demo route if they are available that way...the downloaded version is much more recent than a DVD which was made some time in the past...the demo version will be the most up-to-date copy available. Just be sure to keep your serial numbers in a safe place in case you need to re-install in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up