Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800 vs. D800E: Diffraction according to Technical Guide  (Read 11673 times)

Mike MacDonald

Re: D800 vs. D800E: Diffraction according to Technical Guide
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 06:46:51 pm »

Is focus stacking an option for you? Seems to me that it should easier to merge several sharp, medium-DOF images into one than to make one unsharp image into a sharp one.

-h

You know, I've use focus stacking with macro work it's a lot of fun, but with landscapes I think it's pretty much impossible. I really like Zyrene Stacker. I think it's far superior to Helicon Focus because it can perform different merging calculations that you can add to yuor existing stack of images and it has MUCH better editing. The one fundamental truth to know about focus stacking before you begin is "ALWAYS assume you'll be editing it later to work out the kinks." But, to me, that's reassuring. And, it also makes me edit very carefully only the very best image.

The one kink that is sometimes impossible to fix is when a near subject is so blurry that it obscures the distant subject that you're lens is sharply focused on! There's no way around that. So, now imagine a landscape with lots of prairie grasses and flowers in the foreground. There is definitely going to be some "blurry obscury" going on and probably all over the place! I'd have to do a test, but that's just the beginning of the challenge.

There's the problem with the slightest amount of wind changing the posltions of subject matter between shots. And, then there's the mere fact that taking two shots won't hack it. It'll probably end up being at least 3, just to allow opening up one stop. So, it's pretty impractical, from what I can tell.

hjulenissen

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 02:45:40 am »

I see.

I think it would make some sense to have focus bracketing built into cameras. At e.g. 8fps, you would be able to capture many different focus points in the time it takes to do one pair of shots manually. Being able to specify e.g. "DOF should span from 3 meters to 13 meters at a maximum PSF of x" and let the camera calculate the number of and focus distance would automate some tedious work. Too bad that my Android phone does not do USB host.

If side-info about approximate (focus) distance was used, along with dxo-type lense/sensor measurements, merging them should be a objective process, limited mostly by available data and the target "camera" that you want to emulate?

-h

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 12:39:11 pm »

Hmmmmm!
Maybe when Nikon releases their SKD on the D800, some smart entrepreneur will grab this idea and run with it? Better patent it while you still have time! ;-) Sounds like a great idea!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up