Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 Softproof and Color Balance  (Read 2070 times)

walter.sk

LR4 Softproof and Color Balance
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:48:48 pm »

I'm getting used to LR4 a bit at a time (pun intended,) but when I softproof using my Ilford Gallery Smooth Pearl profile with an Epson 4900 printer, there is a color shift.  In CS5 I had been softproofing and using a Color Balance adjustment layer to add a couple of points of yellow in the shadows, midtones and highlights, and not necessarily the exact amount at each of those levels (for example, in Shadows, -2 Yellow/Blue, Midtones -3 Y/B, and HIghlights -2 Y/B). 

In LR4 there is no equivalent of the Color Balance adjustment, and playing with HSL and Saturation doesn't give me the same effect and accuracy.  Neither does playing with the Temp and Tint sliders give me the same effect.

Is there an easy way to get the equivalent of the Color Balance adjustment layer in LR4?

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
Re: LR4 Softproof and Color Balance
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:57:51 pm »

sounds like a potential capability of split-toning.
John
Flickr

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:17:47 pm »

Walter,

You might try the point curve, it is capale of adjusting the seperate color channels. Use the TAT to piinpont areas and amount of change you want.

Rich

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:37:14 pm »

Is there an easy way to get the equivalent of the Color Balance adjustment layer in LR4?

Color Balance in Photoshop is an alternate UI for per channel curves...LR4 now has per channel curves. So you can use those to get the same basic effect but with a different UI of course.

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:43:17 pm »

Color Balance in Photoshop is an alternate UI for per channel curves...LR4 now has per channel curves. So you can use those to get the same basic effect but with a different UI of course.

Sounds good.  I'll try it out, and maybe make a preset as a starting point.

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:53:04 pm »

Yep! Using the Targeted Adjustment Tool very gingerly on the blue channel point curve not only worked, but more accurately than the Color Balance adjustment layer in CS5.  Using a few points on the curve based on the areas of the softproof image gave more control.  Many thanks!

Richowens

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:53:02 pm »

Many welcomes :D :D :D :D :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up