Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson solvent printer, 64 inches, 4 colors, $16995  (Read 4919 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Epson solvent printer, 64 inches, 4 colors, $16995
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:01:48 am »

Crikey this makes the 44" z3200 look like an impulse buy!

Is an exhaust system needed this solvent based inks?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:15:49 pm »

This seems like a logical upgrade to the GS600 that hasn't sold well in part to it's Hexachrome inkset and corresponding complicated calibration and profiling process. If the quality is there this new printer should save some serious headaches and be a nice competitor to HP's latex printers (both of which are popular with volume canvas printers that want to forgo the varnishing process).
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:17:07 am »

Crikey this makes the 44" z3200 look like an impulse buy!

Is an exhaust system needed this solvent based inks?

This is a good question.  There are several firms in my area running solvent based printers.  The largest has the solvents in the same room as their
other inkjets and you can really smell the solvent ink in the room.  Their they don't have any special ventilation besides room air running.  The other shop keeps the solvent in a separate room.  When the solvents are  running you can really pick up the smell and IMO on the media at least canvas.  

But recently I read somewhere that the gycols in the pigment inks of Epson were not that good to inhale in large amounts either.  

For now the price point of solvent is beyond my budget, as you need volume to justify prices.

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:07:10 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:52:31 am »

Epson claims virtually no odor and no special ventilation needed with its GS6000 solvent printer; I don't see that claim on the website specs for this new Epson solvent printer.  It doesn't look like the new printer is a replacement for the GS6000.

na goodman

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »

Having used the GS6000 and being very sensitive to smells, I can say the GS6000 inks really do not smell. They are eco solvent inks.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 01:13:13 pm »

I modified my first post, as the printers I was referring to were Mimaki solvent printers.  I over generalized, in that
it has always been my understanding Mimaki uses Epson heads and inks. 

The smells were strong to me, but they were not GS6000 Epsons.  At the time they were printing on styrene and
the odor was strong enough I had ask what it was coming from.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:06:53 pm »

Epson claims virtually no odor and no special ventilation needed with its GS6000 solvent printer; I don't see that claim on the website specs for this new Epson solvent printer.  It doesn't look like the new printer is a replacement for the GS6000.

Well, this new printer does use the new "GS2" inkset instead of the GS6000's "GS" ink. And the detailed specs page says "No forced ventilation or air purification systems required" - just like the GS6000's page. Epson's website lists both printers as "solvent" printers with no mention of "eco" for either of them.  It might seem odd that they aren't putting "eco" in front of every "solvent" but today all solvent printers are using eco-solvent inks these days. Nasty, smelly old fashioned solvent ink printers have become a thing of the past. They are also using the "SureColor" marketing terminology for this new printer - likely because getting great color was such a huge hassle with the GS6000. Too bad they choose to go with ONYX though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:38:51 pm by Onsight »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:24:50 pm »

For those that know could you give me a quick rundown on who uses solvent printers and for what applications they are best for? 
CMurph

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:34:53 pm »

For those that know could you give me a quick rundown on who uses solvent printers and for what applications they are best for? 

Signage and display.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:36:12 pm »

Relative to pigment printers, solvent inks expand the durability and range of applications. Solvent prints can be used both inside and outside without the separate liquid laminate application that pigment prints often require. So high volume canvas shops love both solvent and latex printers. Solvent printers are super great for signage - that's a biggie. I've seen photo labs morph into large format printing companies with thee printers. Epson's solvent are particularly attractive for those businesses that have traditionally just done Epson inkjet pigment printing. Shops that have been doing large format printing with big printers are mostly moving towards UV Curable printing. I'm personally seeing more and more artists use solvent and UV Curable printing for large scale art projects now that the quality had gotten so good. There's alot of printing being done out there than just prints that go into a frame.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Craig Murphy

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:10:39 pm »

Thanks Jeff and Scott.
CMurph

na goodman

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 02:25:04 pm »

The one I've used has been for vehicle wraps, signage and display as already stated.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 02:52:54 pm »

Canvas printing that can forgo liquid varnishing is a big market too, IMO.

Grand format printing is a large market that transcends classifications like "signage" and "canvas". People that own these printers are seeing their prints used for all sorts of crazy stuff they never would have imagined. Prints are everywhere these days.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Craig Murphy

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:54:08 pm »

Color quality is on par with K3 inks?  Blacks, gamut, etc?
CMurph

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 04:07:10 pm »

Color quality is on par with K3 inks?  Blacks, gamut, etc?

I haven't worked with the new GS2 inkset yet but I have to say, the gamut improvements I've seen both with eco-solvent inks and UV Curable inks in the last 18 months has been amazing. I'm not used to seeing Dmax as good as pigment - perhaps in part because of substrates typically used on those printers and the lack on a varnish. The gap has narrowed and these inksets are doing a good job competing with pigment inksets in terms of gamut, especially when you consider their longevity and durability.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

na goodman

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 04:44:10 pm »

It is if you have the right environment or create your own. You have to print through a rip. As Onsight (Scott) has pointed out it can be a bit trying at first.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 10:49:49 am »

Thanks for the comments about the need for exhaust. Part of the question was about any scent, and part was about any toxicity. I guess if it doesn’t need and exhaust then it probably isn’t toxic.

With 4 colors, how good is the print quality compared to 12 color printers? Some of the answers hint that it’s similar but has anyone done a side by side comparison?

na goodman

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:14 pm »

Thanks for the comments about the need for exhaust. Part of the question was about any scent, and part was about any toxicity. I guess if it doesn’t need and exhaust then it probably isn’t toxic.

With 4 colors, how good is the print quality compared to 12 color printers? Some of the answers hint that it’s similar but has anyone done a side by side comparison?

If you are talking about the GS6000, there are 8 colors.

Randy Carone

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 05:21:17 pm »

na,

The OP (and Justan) is talking about the new Epson Surecolor SC30670 4-color printer.
Randy Carone
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up