Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4: Cataloguing & Duplicate Files  (Read 1921 times)

walter.sk

LR4: Cataloguing & Duplicate Files
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:19:16 pm »

I last used Lightroom 2 several years ago, and have been using Bridge to keep track of my files.  I got into the habit of copying some files from one project folder to another.  While they are duplicate files, I found it useful to operate in this fashion.

I just installed LR4, and decided to make a brand new catalogue and import all of the picture files from 3 different HDD's on which I keep my photos.  However, LR4 did not import the duplicate files mentioned above, and I could not find anywhere to tell LR4 that I wanted the duplicates imported as well.

How can I go about importing the duplicate files?  There are too many for me to go looking for them individually, and I would like to somehow sync each of the HDD's and have the dupes imported.

Richowens

Re: LR4: Cataloguing & Duplicate Files
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:11:04 pm »

Walter,

In the Import dialogue, the right side panel, under file handling....uncheck "Don't import suspected duplicates".

Rich

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:27:28 am »

In the Import dialogue, the right side panel, under file handling....uncheck "Don't import suspected duplicates".
Rich
I'm aware of that checkbox, and it comes up when I import files from my CF card.  However, when making a catalogue and importing the files on a whole hard drive, that dialogue never comes up.

Richowens

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:57:47 pm »

Hi Walte,

Me again. Mine is visible no matter what  am inporting from. Are you sure the pane is open with a hard drive, the one named "File Handling"?

Rich

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:16:35 am »

Me again. Mine is visible no matter what  am inporting from. Are you sure the pane is open with a hard drive, the one named "File Handling"?

You're right!  I tried making a new catalog as a test.  After hitting "Import" I looked at the right side panel and sure enough, the File Handling was there.  I had not expanded it when making my big catalog so I did not see the check box for duplicate files.

Now I have to figure out how best to go back over the catalog and import the duplicates, without having to redo the whole catalog.  Maybe "Sync" will let me do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up