Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 is slow but fantastic  (Read 23135 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Lightroom 4 is slow but fantastic
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:14:34 pm »

I also suffer from the slowness of Lightroom 4, but the possibilities and flexibility in editing images are simply astounding. I would rather sit around waiting some extra seconds...I could never go back to PV 2010 again.

A couple of examples of pictures I simply could not do in PV 2010.

Attached is both the PV 2010 version and the PV 2012 version.

The shadows in PV 2012 are lifted with the shadows slider and a brush is used to increase the color temperature over the entire are that is in shadow. We also see that PV 2012 has recovered the sky much better.

Another example is a picture I shot high in Dolomites when there was an ambulance helocopter for rescue of a guy with a heart attack (not a good place for that ;) )

The default conversion in PV 2012 is shown and cine it is shot against the sky (I followed the helicopter as it was circling around to find a spot to land) and a crop with just the helicopter to show changfe of color temperature of the helicopter in shade and also lifting the shadows and noise reduction inside the helicopter where the rescue person sits.

Walter Schulz

Re: Lightroom 4 is slow but fantastic
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:22:33 pm »

Helicopter location: Tre Cime Di Lavaredo? Aka: Drei Zinnen.

Ciao, Walter
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:28:43 pm by Walter Schulz »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:30:22 pm »

Yes, I walked all the way over to Dreizinnen Hütte. A nice walk except for passing the guy in pain. There was a group with him and the helicopter came a few minutes later. But I don't know if the survived...

Another example from the Dolomites where I really like the new shadow slider and the change of color temperature.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:00:40 pm »

Helicopter location: Tre Cime Di Lavaredo? Aka: Drei Zinnen.

Ciao, Walter

Btw. on my way back I got this view just at the foot of the tall Drei Zinnen with this couple looking at the Drei Zinnen Hütte :)

Walter Schulz

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:23:17 pm »

De gustibus non est disputandum. But for my taste it's over the top, esp. the blue cast in the background and - to a lesser degree - the sharper-than-life effect.

Ciao, Walter

WPalank

• William Palank Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:48:54 pm »

Thanks for sharing Hans. Nice work.

I'm finding LR4 to be slow only when opening the application the first time in the morning. Once the Thumbnails are rendered, I'm up and running.

Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon, 16 GB RAM,  Snow Leopard with Single Monitor.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:44:36 am »

De gustibus non est disputandum. But for my taste it's over the top, esp. the blue cast in the background and - to a lesser degree - the sharper-than-life effect.

Ciao, Walter

Yes, I agree the white balance is a bit cold. I liked the contrast between the warmer tones in the foreground and the cold tones in the background. I "nicer" and warmer look need a 1000 degrees higher K. The sharper than life effect? It's not really an effect and there not even any clarity dialed in which I normally do. Just capture sharpening and output sharpening. But it was more to show this amazing scene above the world looking like another planet ;)

quismond

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:04:36 am »

Hans, tank you very much for the samples.
I would like (if that is possible) to have a look at your adjustments in LR4 for the first photo (Mountain sunset).
If you can attach a screenshoot of the Basic and Detail panels that would be great.
Thanks again and best regards!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:43:24 am »

Attached are screen shots of the adjustment panels with a bit of the picture so that you can how high the graduated filter is going from the bottom. There are so many that two screen shots were needed on my 30" screen.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:46:56 am »

Thanks for sharing Hans. Nice work.

I'm finding LR4 to be slow only when opening the application the first time in the morning. Once the Thumbnails are rendered, I'm up and running.

Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon, 16 GB RAM,  Snow Leopard with Single Monitor.

Thanks William. My machine is "just" a MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 8GB from late 2009. The slowness is mainly related to using lots of adjustments, grad filters and brushes and change of white balance (within these).

quismond

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 12:56:06 pm »

Mange tak, Hans!
Much appreciated.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 12:47:22 pm »

I find that LR4 is considerably faster than LR3 with 2 exceptions...the startup is slower and the switch from catalog to develop modules the first time in a session (but that is the same as LR3 for me). Otherwise it just blazes along and is a wonderful program.

Electromen

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 01:37:24 pm »

I don't have any problems with speed and LR4.  I started a new Catalog, maybe that helped.
Mac Pro dual quad core, dual 23" monitors, Lion

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 04:55:00 am »

As mentioned the slowness is mainly related to the adjustments I do. When you work on a single image the catalogue will not impact the speed anyway. The speed goes down a lot with brushes and especially doing white balance change on brushes and/or grad. filters from what I see.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 04:59:35 am »

L3 ran like a rocket but L4 is slow for me to. Windows 7 and 12gb ram.

Great results though!

mac_paolo

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 05:09:14 am »

As mentioned the slowness is mainly related to the adjustments I do. When you work on a single image the catalogue will not impact the speed anyway. The speed goes down a lot with brushes and especially doing white balance change on brushes and/or grad. filters from what I see.
As for you, this is my standard working condition, so it's always quite slow.  ::)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 06:06:41 am »

I am noticing LR4 is quite a bit slower than LR3 - in a variety of different areas.  Sometimes even switching from Library to Develop can take a second or two - it used to be instant. Its not overtly painful, but its definitely slower than LR3.

MACzilla Pro with 32 Gig of RAM, 4 Striped RAID Drives and a SSD for Applications.  Nothing else runs on this machine except PS and LR.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »

I've found LR4 slower too, running a 6-core Phenom II, 16GB of RAM and Win 7 x64. I'm hoping it's only temporary. I found the same was true with, I believe, LR2. But then, we had to wait for LR3 for that to be rectified! That said, I find it slower, too, in terms of my use. The new sliders are less intuitive that the old one. For instance, Highlights and Whites, do almost the same thing. Shadows I don't find as intuitive as Fill Light. Perhaps it's just me, but I almost didn't get the new version because I hated the sliders so much compared to the old ones.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 03:11:56 pm »

For instance, Highlights and Whites, do almost the same thing.

Nope...Highlights can not really clip-it rolls off at the extremes, Whites can clip that's what Whites is intended for. Whites has no highlight recovery built in while Highlights does. Yes, things can get complicated because now all the Basic sliders start at zero and allow plus or minus adjustments. That aspect is what is confusing a lot of people. Once you get past it, PV 2012 is much better (although different) than PV 2010.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 04:13:18 pm »

I find it slower, too, in terms of my use. The new sliders are less intuitive that the old one.
I think practice and experience will resolve that.
I'm finding it easy enough to understand the new controls, but the lack of responsiveness hugely hinders the learning process.
Over the weekend I was able to steadily count to twelve(about 9 seconds) before the screen updated on one adjustment. Bizarrely other sessions have been better, although never good. I don't know what's causing the slow downs, but so far it isn't particularly predictable.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up