Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OS X, custom paper size prints off center  (Read 5038 times)

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
OS X, custom paper size prints off center
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:00:31 pm »

I tried to do some prints on US letter half sheets (5.5"x8"), and no matter what I do with margin settings or which direction I put the paper in the printer, I always get a print that's off center on the long dimension. Happens with Aperture 3.2.2, Preview, PE 8, and Lightroom 4 beta. I sent a help request to Canon via their website, but got no response*. I mentioned this to a friend who prints with an consumer level HP, and he said he has had the same experience and the only workaround he's found is to print with Indesign, which I don't have. Anyone else have this problem, and found a fix for it?

OS X 10.6.8, Canon 9500 Mk2, all software updates applied.

*This might be because my soon to be ex-webhost helpfully reset my spam settings to delete anything labeled as spam, and didn't bother to tell me they'd done so. So it's possible that Canon's reply got deleted.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: OS X, custom paper size prints off center
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:28:31 pm »

Most printers when working with sheets have uneven minimal margins (usualy the bottom margin is bigger). Try to find what is the biggest minimal margin and use it also on the opposite side (top-bottom). I think that may solve your problem.

Best regards.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:54:47 pm »

If I'm understanding your suggestion correctly, I've tried that; I added half an inch to the border on the short side, and it made no difference. Also, I have no problem printing with equal borders top to bottom and side to side with standard paper sizes (5x7 and 8.5x11, anyway, haven't tried others yet). It's only a problem when trying to use a custom size.
Rob

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 12:01:20 am »

I see...

That was my idea. I solved my problems with margins that way, setting all margins to, say 1,5 inch.

Best regards.

JohnTodd

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:23:20 pm »

Just for what it's worth, I've had the same issue with an Epson R1900, also on OS X 10.6 - trying to print a 13"x26" panorama on a cutoff piece of roll paper, and having it feed about 1.5" before starting the left hand edge of the print.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 02:14:23 pm »

It kinda seems like it's an OS problem, not a print driver problem. Damned annoying in any case, as I have a couple projects in mind that would be easier if I didn't have to fight to get images lined up the way I want.

Maybe it's fixed in 10.7?
Rob

LPJay

• lumen-perfectus.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:10 pm »

I've ranted about this in the early postings on my "Life with an Epson 7900" blog.

I use a Mac with OS X 10.6.8. For several years I used a Canon iPF 5000 (also used this with a Windows system before moving to the Mac). With the Canon, if I fed a sheet of any size, and checked the necessary control in the driver or PS plug-in, the image was always perfectly centered on the sheet. This assumes, of course, the image was small enough to fit within the minimum 3mm margins one could set for many media types.

However, with the Epson 7900, with the latest driver and firmware installed, checking the "Center image" checkbox in the print driver is certain to print an image that is not centered. This is true even if the image is considerably smaller than the sheet size, such that there'd be margins of a couple of inches. The only way to print on cut sheets and center the image is to make a print that's NOT centered, measure the offset, and then adjust the top margin by half that amount. Print again with those values, and you'll be close to centered, but even jumping through that hoop will only get you close most of the time.

I called Epson support about this and was told to print on roll paper. The tech was clearly uninterested in pursuing this further. Not exactly helpful.

A good friend with the same printer, run from a Windows 7 machine, has said his prints are centered on cut sheets. We've even tried printing the same size images on the same size sheets; we get very different results. This clearly points to a Mac issue: the OS, the print architecture, or the Epson driver. Or, perhaps there's a problem with Photoshop (I do all my printing from PS). I can't say where, but there are bugs somewhere in that chain.

I do a fair amount of contract printing. I think it looks very unprofessional to provide prints to clients that have weird, non-symmetrical margins. I really wish Apple or Epson or Adobe, whichever (or whatever combination) is responsible for this, would fix it!

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:09:29 pm »

Canon doesn't offer a center image checkbox, or at least not that I've found yet. But the fact that it happens to you with an Epson, to me with a Canon, and to my friend with an HP, and that for me it doesn't seem to matter which app I print from, makes it pretty likely that it's an OS problem, IMO. And given that 10.7 is out and 10.8 is on the horizon, it's not likely to get fixed in 10.6. I just hope it's fixed in 10.7.
Rob

mac_paolo

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:03 am »

My prints or off-center by more or less 1mm on the right side (left side while watching the printer printing).
I had to recalculate the left/right margins on my Lightroom presets to get centered prints. For that reason my minimum margin raised from 3mm to 4mm.

OS X 10.7.3 with Epson R3000, latest driver.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:33 am »

If it was only a millimeter, I could deal with it, but in my case it's about half an inch. And as I said in the original post, changing margins makes no difference.

And FWIW, I'm now seeing the same thing from another angle; I'm printing a pano on 8.5x11 and getting 3/16th" margin on one side and 1/16th" on the other, even though both should be 1/4". Fscking annoying.
Rob

Nora_nor

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:51:57 pm »

have you tried maximum as the print size?
http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/08/understanding-epsons-printable-area.html

I understand the larger margin on the bottom because I got head strikes when using the rear paper tray (because it bends the sheet upwards) (platen gap wide is supposed to solve that)
Pages: [1]   Go Up