About the same
- 3 (8.6%)
Slower
- 3 (8.6%)
Waaaay slower
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Test Amazon S3 downloads?  (Read 43146 times)

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
Re: Test Amazon S3 downloads?
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 09:37:53 pm »

I was tempted to 'tick' "Much faster" but the speed did fluctuate a bit so selected the step under the max :)  Now bearing in mind the mad rush of the first few days has disappeared I would say using the Amazon cloud does seem to be an overall more pleasing experience, so many thanks for taking that step  :D
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 10:39:45 pm »

Going slow as an elderly canine in Canberra, Australia, at the moment - 17 Kb/s. I am assuming that I don't have to do anything special to get the Amazon server, just click on the files on my  order information page - or am I mistaken about that? Is there some different path to using the Amazon server?
No special route - it is automatic. You may want to try a different browser. Sounds like some local problem perhaps?

Andrew Makiejewski

• Photography by Andrzej Stefan Makiejewski
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 10:42:50 pm »

I am just about finished testing the download of c2ps-27.zip which is 384MB. It took 10 minutes to D/L. It started out quite fast at about 1.4MB/s then slowed down to about 450KB/s about a third of the way in.

I am in Toronto, ON , Canada.

FYI, I D/L the 2 new LR4 zips and they came down really fast. Did not pay attention to the info , but under 2 minutes each.

Andrew
Capture the moment.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 04:05:58 am »

No special route - it is automatic. You may want to try a different browser. Sounds like some local problem perhaps?

Yes, I think so. Going nicely now.
Ken Cameron

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 05:08:30 am »

Hi,

I've downloaded both packages at around 600-800kB/s, which is pretty good.

Thanks Chris - for me you have fixed the problem very fast and in a very good way !!!

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46:36 am »

Thanks Chris - for me you have fixed the problem very fast and in a very good way !!!
...with a lot of help from our IT brains: Mark Guertin (Gerk)

JCVG

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »

I'm located in Bangkok, Thailand and actually for me it's slower than the first server and I couldn't wait the 7hrs required to download one file (few kb/s). I'll try again in few days.

Photo Op

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »

Chris- downloaded the most recent files separately at 2.4mb/sec at 7:00am EDT from Massachusetts. Time for each <2 min.

Thanks!

DaveB
David

WallyM

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2012, 06:24:22 pm »

I'm located in Bangkok, Thailand and actually for me it's slower than the first server and I couldn't wait the 7hrs required to download one file (few kb/s). I'll try again in few days.

Try cancelling the download if you get a connection with very poor transfer rates; then restart the download in a minute or so and see if it improves.  My first try resulted in about 15KBps and a three hour time estimate.  I broke the connection, rebooted my DSL modem and restarted the connection and got full speed transfer on both files.  I don't know if rebooting the modem helped, but at least one other person has reported an initial download speed of 10 or 15 KBps that improved later.  Maybe an occasional connection to Amazon has a problem that goes away when the link is broken and then reconnected.

Wally

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 11:08:28 am »

Chris,

Just downloaded Zips 14 & 15 at 1.6 Mb/sec which is the max I get from my Verizon FIOS connection.  Looks like Amazon is doing well to get the files out.

Alan

JCVG

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 11:20:10 am »

Try cancelling the download if you get a connection with very poor transfer rates; then restart the download in a minute or so and see if it improves.  My first try resulted in about 15KBps and a three hour time estimate.  I broke the connection, rebooted my DSL modem and restarted the connection and got full speed transfer on both files.  I don't know if rebooting the modem helped, but at least one other person has reported an initial download speed of 10 or 15 KBps that improved later.  Maybe an occasional connection to Amazon has a problem that goes away when the link is broken and then reconnected.

Wally

Thanks for the tip Wally. I am now in France and tried to download the files from Safari (Windows 7) and Chrome but I get 2 or 3 kb, 15 hrs to download 1 file. When I was in Bangkok I've tried from my Mac. Different computers and different network but still the same problem. But not a big deal for me, I guess after a few days it will be better when everybody will be done with the download. I can wait but I just want to share my experience. (I'll be in Tunisia in few days, I'll try from there  ;D ).

Cheers

JC

s4e

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »

The download no works like it should. Thank you for improving this one. I was close to skip next video because of all the problems downloading but now I ready for your next video ;D

Sverre

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2012, 04:23:31 pm »

The download no[w] works like it should. Thank you for improving this one. I was close to skip next video because of all the problems downloading but now I ready for your next video ;D

Sverre

added what I presume is a missing 'w'

mac_paolo

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 02:37:34 am »

I've just put the last four archives on download.
All together they get downloaded within the 75-100KB/s range. Which not only is unacceptable, but also far less than the previous performance with local hosted files.
Let's wait those 3 hours...  :-\

My location: Italy

Edit: I should have said 30-100KB/s  >:(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:46:46 am by mac_paolo »

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 07:02:48 am »

All together they get downloaded within the 75-100KB/s range. Which not only is unacceptable, but also far less than the previous performance with local hosted files.

Edit: I should have said 30-100KB/s  >:(

For what it is worth have you tried them one at a time???  I have found with any multiple downloads that when all are selected it is not queue'ing that occurs but they all start to download and the 'rate' of the first one selected can drop quite markedly while the next ones go at a crawl :(

So do try them one at a time and see how that goes :) I have been doing this when pressed for time (means you have to return to the PC regularly rather than just walking away!) and I think the last lot were collected in approx and hour???
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:09:39 am by Box Brownie »
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

francois

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2012, 07:45:42 am »

Edit: I should have said 30-100KB/s  >:(

I did the same here but got much higher speeds, it was a matter of a few minutes. I downloaded the first three all at once and the last one (alone) went down at +3MB/sec. I redid the test right now (13h30 European time) and DL speed was at 2.9MB/sec and going up.
Francois

mac_paolo

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2012, 08:04:02 am »

So do try them one at a time and see how that goes :)
Next time I will.

mac_paolo

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2012, 08:06:09 am »

I did the same here but got much higher speeds, it was a matter of a few minutes. I downloaded the first three all at once and the last one (alone) went down at +3MB/sec. I redid the test right now (13h30 European time) and DL speed was at 2.9MB/sec and going up.
It depends on a zillion of factors.
The point is, taken into account my DSL parameters, with previous local hosted files I go better speeds (more or less 200-300KB/s), while I now get way slower ones.
It's strange, as Amazon S3 is an excellent redundant service... but these are the numbers I have.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2012, 09:04:29 am »

Chris,

I down loaded the latest videos (20-23) with no problems the other day.
Each video took about 2 minutes at a rate of 1.5Mbps.
Currently I am on AT&T Uverse here in the US with a downstream speed of up to 18 Mbps.
Computer being used is an Apple Macbook Pro 2.66 (June 2009) with 8GB DDR3 Ram.

Best,

Stu
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up