Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P3 for Architecture and Interiors  (Read 3041 times)

Dennis Carbo

P3 for Architecture and Interiors
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:01:56 am »

I am sure this has been asked before...I apologize but I couldnt find anything in a search

Are any of you using the Sinar P3 for interiors ? I may pick one up and my concern is on the "wide end" , I know i need a bag bellows for sure.

I would like to get as wide as a 40mm was on my Rollei 6008 body, is this an issue with a recessed lens board ? Whats the widest any of you have actually used on a P3 ? 

Lastly ....how restricted are the movements is there still plenty of tilt and shift for stitching ?

I would be using the live view shutter and no sliding back just a 54M

Thoughts ?

Regards,

Dennis

TH_Alpa

Re: P3 for Architecture and Interiors
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:20:05 am »

Dennis,

the p3 can be used with lenses from 28mm to 210 mm. Have a look at Sinar's site, here;

CPL Lenses

There you will find also all the information neessary concerning the accessories.

The tilt and shift possibilities are not limited mechanically by the camera, but rather by the IC of the used lenses, means you will reach the limit of the lens before you reach the limit of the camera.

Best regards
Thierry

I am sure this has been asked before...I apologize but I couldnt find anything in a search

Are any of you using the Sinar P3 for interiors ? I may pick one up and my concern is on the "wide end" , I know i need a bag bellows for sure.

I would like to get as wide as a 40mm was on my Rollei 6008 body, is this an issue with a recessed lens board ? Whats the widest any of you have actually used on a P3 ? 

Lastly ....how restricted are the movements is there still plenty of tilt and shift for stitching ?

I would be using the live view shutter and no sliding back just a 54M

Thoughts ?

Regards,

Dennis

pixjohn

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:34:44 pm »

Why a P3 over a camrea made for shooting architecture like a Cambo or Alpha ect.. For studio work a p3 might be a good camera but I peronaly would not use one for location architecture.

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 05:16:30 pm »

Why a P3 over a camrea made for shooting architecture like a Cambo or Alpha ect.. For studio work a p3 might be a good camera but I peronaly would not use one for location architecture.

The kit I am looking at is with live view shutter, lenses and integrates perfectly with my existing Sinar back - and cost a fraction of what a Cambo DS with lenses would cost, and the cambo would not allow live view focusing with my back.

I should say this would be the rig I use probably 10% of the time - If it were my main rig I would probably invest in a Cambo DS but since I already own the Sinar back and can get a nice price on the P3 kit. 

Many acrhitectural photogs use or have used Sinar View cams like the P2 for shooting architecture. I just am not really familiar with the P3 and was under the impression that 47mm was the widest you could go and attain infinity focus with out crashing into the sensor...so thats the reason for the post. Also wondering about the amount of tilt and shift available..

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:02:36 pm »

The kit I am looking at is with live view shutter, lenses and integrates perfectly with my existing Sinar back - and cost a fraction of what a Cambo DS with lenses would cost, and the cambo would not allow live view focusing with my back.

I should say this would be the rig I use probably 10% of the time - If it were my main rig I would probably invest in a Cambo DS but since I already own the Sinar back and can get a nice price on the P3 kit. 

Many acrhitectural photogs use or have used Sinar View cams like the P2 for shooting architecture. I just am not really familiar with the P3 and was under the impression that 47mm was the widest you could go and attain infinity focus with out crashing into the sensor...so thats the reason for the post. Also wondering about the amount of tilt and shift available..

If you purchase the lenses mounted in the Sinar CPL shutter configuration, you'll be able to use the focal lengths Thierry detailed. But those are as expensive as the Cambo - mounted helical lenspanels (you may have a deal on a kit from a private party, that's another story, but it better be a heck of a deal). If you are trying to use Schneiders/Rodenstocks mounted in standard boards, then yes, you'll have trouble from wider than 47mm, unless you use a custom board, such as the one pictured below (from SK Grimes - we have 1 in stock).

It's not an easy path forward, I will say that. It is a heavy load to bear, literally and figuratively. Depending on the "deal" you have with this P3 kit and the lenses, it might be practical to think in terms of selling/trading the 54M towards a body that performs acceptable Live View without the LC Shutter.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

PdF

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:33:12 pm »

All lenses from Sinar (Sinaron Digital HR 23mm f 5.6 -> 180mm f 5.6) are OK for the P3. With e-shutter, or with CMV system. And also with a Copal between-the-lens shutter (28mm -> 210mm).

PdF
PdF

TH_Alpa

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 02:15:32 am »

Dennis,

The reason why I have given you the link and details for the CPL lenses (Copal shutter and manual) is because those are the cheapest. They are all sold CHF 1'000,- LESS then the very same lenses in CMV or CAB mount. And I don't even speak abut the price of the lenses with the new e-shutter.

But PdF is right, with CMV or eShutter, then even the 23mm can be used.

And as said: you will have more than enough shift/tilt/swing movements available on the camera to cover the possibilities of your lens. The lens with its IC will be the limiting factor, not the mechanics of the camera.

Best regards
Thierry

I just am not really familiar with the P3 and was under the impression that 47mm was the widest you could go and attain infinity focus with out crashing into the sensor...so thats the reason for the post. Also wondering about the amount of tilt and shift available..

D Semick

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:49:49 am »

Our Chicago crew is currently working with the eShutter on the P3 and are pretty impressed with the results. The eShutter is going to fill a pretty large void in the electronic shutter needs for the studio shooter since Rollei has gone away.

Denny
Denny Semick
Dodd Camera - Professional Imaging Division
Phase One |  Leaf  | Sinar  | Hasselblad | ALPA
dsemick@doddcamera.com  p.216-361-6805
http://www.doddpro.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up