Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3200 expired inks and printheads  (Read 4372 times)

chichornio

HP z3200 expired inks and printheads
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:52:05 pm »

Hi,
I have the chance to get a good deal buying an entire inkset and several printheads from a HP z3100 (I own a 3200), all of them had expired. Some of them are from 2009, others from 2010 and a lot of them from 2011. In total there are 32 inks HP 70 cartridges and a few printheads. I can have a 50% or more buying all the stuff. Is it worth it? Can I use them safely? I already know that I cannot use the HP 70 red. I will try to sell it afterwards.
The owner says that all of them were never opened. Thanks in advance for any advice.

chez

Re: HP z3200 expired inks and printheads
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:41:58 pm »

I use expired inks in my Z3100 without any issues.

chichornio

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:40 pm »

My concern it´s basically if the inks may clog. I´ve used expired inks in my z3200, and I´d neved had a problem. What about longevity? It may change?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 05:24:31 am »

Depends also on how long it takes before you empty all the carts after the purchase. Next, with a lot of expired carts HP has all kinds of warnings ready in the firmware. I have out of warranty heads and expired carts in the Z3100 and it still runs well. I do not see why it would influence longevity either.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

chichornio

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:35:58 am »

Depends also on how long it takes before you empty all the carts after the purchase. Next, with a lot of expired carts HP has all kinds of warnings ready in the firmware. I have out of warranty heads and expired carts in the Z3100 and it still runs well. I do not see why it would influence longevity either.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Thanks for the reply.
All the carts being offered to me are in their respective boxes, unopened since they were bought. Just for curiosity...why HP puts a expiration date in the Vivera inks and printheads? If the pigment ink it´s not in contact with oxygen, they should last many years... Am I wrong?

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:13 am »

Yep, you are wrong!
Pigment inks are in a suspension. When they sit a long time they tend to settle and clump. Yes, you can help the settling situation by shaking them, but the clumping can't be reversed with just shaking. 50% off ink that long expired is not that great a deal!

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:02:20 pm »

Hummm...

I have two expired heads *in use* and will only consider exchanging them when they start to have issues, but I would never buy an expired one as I am concerned about the clumping as John said. Pretty much the same to cartridges. Check this thread: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=63500.0

Best Regards.

chichornio

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:56:00 pm »

Thanks to all! I will thinking it over! Too much risk...
Pages: [1]   Go Up