Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For Hassy guys: can this possibly cause relative sensor plane misalignement?  (Read 2074 times)

Mr. Rib

I just bought a H3DII from a LuLa member. I didn't have time to test it yet as I'm currently looking for some HC lenses. What bothers me is something that I just noticed- the casing of the H3D body at bottom is misaliged with it's last rear element.  What I'm calling  "the last rear element" is the rear black metal plate which  connects with the digiback (in other words, H3D body digital back connection surface). From the photo below you can easily tell that the grey casing is misaligned relative to the black rear part of the body. As I'm not familiar yet with Hassy and how their camera bodies are built, I've been wondering if this could possibly tilt the lens projection surface relative to the digital back sensor surface? In other words, is it possible that this misalignement of the casing can cause the whole system to be misaligned? I know it's highly unlikely and I may sound silly, but since I don't have any lenses yet and I don't want to keep thinking about this issue.. Below is the photo of the misalignement (sorry for low quality but I shot it with whatever I had at hand). It would be nice to hear from some Hassy representatives too.

The photo has been sized down so please go to this link to see a larger version:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/250/img1yl.jpg

Last thing- what tests do you propose for checking digital back sensor 'tilt' misalignement?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:55:03 pm by Mr. Rib »

design_freak

I just bought a H3DII from a LuLa member. I didn't have time to test it yet as I'm currently looking for some HC lenses. What bothers me is something that I just noticed- the casing of the H3D body at bottom is misaliged with it's last rear element.  What I'm calling  "the last rear element" is the rear black metal plate which  connects with the digiback (in other words, H3D body digital back connection surface). From the photo below you can easily tell that the grey casing is misaligned relative to the black rear part of the body. As I'm not familiar yet with Hassy and how their camera bodies are built, I've been wondering if this could possibly tilt the lens projection surface relative to the digital back sensor surface? In other words, is it possible that this misalignement of the casing can cause the whole system to be misaligned? I know it's highly unlikely and I may sound silly, but since I don't have any lenses yet and I don't want to keep thinking about this issue.. Below is the photo of the misalignement (sorry for low quality but I shot it with whatever I had at hand). It would be nice to hear from some Hassy representatives too.

The photo has been sized down so please go to this link to see a larger version:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/250/img1yl.jpg

Last thing- what tests do you propose for checking digital back sensor 'tilt' misalignement?

Contact the Polish distributor, is now one of the best Hasselblad dealers in Europe  ::)
Best regards,
DF

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography

The camera didn't even come with an 80mm? thats kind of unusual, well, i would get a lens and test it first, even borrow one from a friend or dealer, or rent one for a day or two just to get it out of your mind. From the picture, nothing seems to be terribly wrong, and I suspect some sort of error message would come up on either the back or the body if there was something wrong, the Hasselblad system, is fairly well integrated in terms of electronics and contacts....
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years

Well

There is probably very little in common between the H series cameras and the 500s, but -

On the old V-System cameras the outer body shell which you see is purely cosmetic. It can appear to be slightly misaligned with the magazine, but that has no impact on image quality. The "guts" of the camera, which includes the lens mount and magazine interface, is a completely separate structure inside the cosmetic shell. To access it for service you have to separate the two elements. It may well be that the H cameras use a similar system . . .

John
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:31:42 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Mr. Rib

Yes, I suppose that it is just 'cosmetic' outer shell. After all, in H series it's made of plastic/synthetic material so it cannot possibly have any structural significance in terms of the camera body. However, I'm a bit concerned if this may actually be an implication of the camera body misalignement.

Well

There is probably very little in common between the H series cameras and the 500s, but -

On the old V-System cameras the outer body shell which you see is purely cosmetic. It can appear to be slightly misaligned with the magazine, but that has no impact on image quality. The "guts" of the camera, which include the lens mount and magazine interface, is a completely separate structure inside the cosmetic shell. To access it for service you have to separate the two elements. It may well be that the H cameras use a similar system . . .

John

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years

Mr Rib

Just go beg/borrow/hire a lens and shoot a few frames with the lens wide-open. Any misalignment so gross that you could easily see it on the camera body would produce horrendous softening of the image on one side of the frame.

I doubt very much that there is anything wrong with your camera.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Eurotographer

Hasselblad developed the H3X series as an  integrated system with total alignment, down to the micron, so images will be exceptionally sharp.  If there is a visually noticeable misalignment like this you will need to have the system serviced and realigned, no question about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up