Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plot ICC Profiles in Windows 7  (Read 12392 times)

RFPhotography

Plot ICC Profiles in Windows 7
« on: March 13, 2012, 03:58:40 pm »

In Windows XP, Microsoft made available a download called Color Control Applet.  One of the things you could do with it is plot ICC profiles.  The Color Management utility in Win7 doesn't appear to have this functionality.  Is there anything that will plot ICC profiles in Windows 7?  If nothing native, then a free download would be ideal.  It's not something I need to do often so spending money on a program isn't a preferred option.

Thanks.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Plot ICC Profiles in Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:12:05 pm »

You could try PerfX 3D gamut viewer It has similar 3D graphing options to the original XP color applet. It works fine on W7 64bt here.
I don't think it's available from the original authors anymore, but there's a download link here;
http://perfx-3d-gamut-viewer.downloadaces.com/

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:34:44 pm »

Thanks.  It's showing as a .sit file.  Windows doesn't recognise it.  How are you getting it to work in Windows?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 07:18:29 pm »

I've had mine here for a long time. The archive is called  perfx gamut viewer 3d win 1.9.zip
Googling only links to some odd download sites though.
It might be worth contacting the original publishers TGLC, they mention it on their web site http://www.tglc.com/english/01_1_num_pro.html but the link is broken. Maybe an email to them might elicit a response. If all else fails PM me.

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:23:41 pm »

Thanks.  The link is to a Mac version and it shows v1.8.  I'll email them and see what they say.

ThDo

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:12:47 am »

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:17:47 am »

I also Googled but you do realise that Google will provide different results based on location and search string? 

That aside, thanks.  I'll check it out.

I also found this, http://www.iccview.de/content/view/3/7/lang,en/.  Not downloadable but interesting and with some screen captures it may do the trick.

ThDo

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 03:50:18 am »

iccview.de just uses argyllCms.

So if you want the functionality of this site download argyllCms - it's free and for many platforms available.

smilem

• Color Management Services
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:17:18 am »

Try Docbees profilemanager (free) http://www.colorlogic.de/seiten/download/DocBees-ProfileManager-2.1-win.zip

Be sure to contact them about a bug (the profile compare does not work, at least under win7 (gives license error)).
Otherwise very cool program for a freeware.

Also it would be nice that they added gamut size (in numbers) like colorthink.

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 07:35:49 am »

Just to bring this full circle, and to a close, TGLC finally got back to me to tell me that their PerfX Gamut Viewer was no longer available.

As far as ArgyllCMS, I don't do command line.  I'm a photographer, not a computer programmer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:37:48 am by BobFisher »

ThDo

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:28:04 am »

Command line has nothing to do with programming.

Everyone who can use a camera should be able to write a line of text.

And you know that there are many different Gui components avaiable for Argyll.

RFPhotography

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 07:12:00 am »

Yes, I know.  I was being mildly sarcastic.  Sometimes I forget that such nuances are often lost on this group.  The fact remains, I don't use command line.  I have no interest in using command line.  I haven't used command line in over 30 years and don't want to start again.  And why would I know there are GUI interfaces for Argyll when I've never used Argyll?  Tell you what.  If you know Argyll so well, point me to a front end GUI that's simple and efficient to use that will do what I need to do and I'll check it out. 

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 07:49:12 am »

Argyll frontend - easy to use:
http://www.nla.gov.au/dohm/color-camera-calibrator

Cheers
~Chris

RFPhotography

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 08:14:31 am »

Thanks, Chris.  Taking a quick look at that site (and not downloading the application) it doesn't appear that it does what I want to do which is gamut plots of colour profiles.  That said, since it supports the ColorChecker 24 patch target, it might be interesting to try to see how camera profiles created with it compare to DNG camera profiles created with the XRite software or with Adobe's DNG Profile Creator.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 09:48:13 am »

Thanks, Chris.  Taking a quick look at that site (and not downloading the application) it doesn't appear that it does what I want to do which is gamut plots of colour profiles.  That said, since it supports the ColorChecker 24 patch target, it might be interesting to try to see how camera profiles created with it compare to DNG camera profiles created with the XRite software or with Adobe's DNG Profile Creator.

Don't mess up ICC profiles with DNG profiles.
The colorchecker target definitely does not even near cover the gamut of your camera, so I doubt it will do a usable ICC profile.
I myself tried this and used an exposure bracketed series of it, but the results were disappointing (after doing a bunch of math and stuff behind)
I now am going to repeat this experiement with  a transmissive 4x5" Velvia 50 target from Wolf Faust shot against a diffusor with a spectrally known illumination.
Basically I am trying to profile film, knowing well how unreliable C41 is, but I'm still trying to develop a two-step procedure with a base profile and a correction derived from shooting the colorchecker target.

RFPhotography

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:43 am »

I understand that DNG and ICC profiles are different, Chris.  The point being that some people claim ICC profiles are better, some say it shouldn't make a difference.  So really it may just provide the opportunity to compare.  The gamut shouldn't be an issue, I don't think.  If the same target is used in both cases then it really should come down to the methodology of creating the profile and interpolating between the colours that aren't in the target.  More colour patches should produce a more accurate profile or perhaps a more complete profile is another way to look at it with fewer errors in interpolation, the fewer patches should be able to be used to compare the two different profile types on the same basis.  The biggest issue comes in that, I don't think, there's away to use both profiles inside the same software.  ACR and LR don't make use of ICC profiles.  DxO does but I'm not sure it can use DNG profiles.  In that case, there may be some differences due to the way both software applications deal with things such as demosaicing.

lmwacctg

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 08:40:09 pm »

I use Gamutvision.

http://www.gamutvision.com

Don

RFPhotography

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 07:23:20 am »

Don, I'm aware of Gamutvision.  While at $100 it's less expensive than a lot of software out there, given how often I'd use it, it's still more than I can justify. 

I'm locking this topic as it's most definitely outlived its usefulness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up