Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File edited and saved in CS5 with color management active, but printed in CS3  (Read 1612 times)

Bill Koenig

I recently edited a file in CS5 (Win7 64 Coloreyes Pro) imported to Lr 3.5 for capture and output sharpening and exported back to my print folder.                           
This image is a B&W pano and needs to be printed in CS3 (WinXP) on my 3800 using the long print utility so I can print longer than 37.4" 

With that said, I open the file in CS3 in Win XP (I have a duel boot setup) I don't have any color management active in XP.
When I open this file in CS3, box pops up asking which color space to use, I tell CS3 to leave it as is. The fact that there isn't any color management active, the image looks much darker than it did in CS5 where it was color managed.
If I print this using the Epson ABW driver and I select "No Color Management" in CS3 it seems to print correctly, but if I leave Color Management set to "ON" and use sRGB as the icc profile as I normally do when I print with the ABW driver in CS5, the print looks dark just like the non Color Managed screen.

So my question, by setting CS3 to "No Color Management" is the Epson driver reading the tagged info from my file that I saved in CS5?

The first time I printed this file and it came out dark, I didn't realize that ColorEyes Display Pro had deactivated it self, and it was just by chance that I tried selecting "No Color Management" So I'm trying to understand what's going on here.
And I thought I understood color management.
Bill Koenig,

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

So my question, by setting CS3 to "No Color Management" is the Epson driver reading the tagged info from my file that I saved in CS5?

I’m assuming that the document shows as Untagged RGB. Keep in mind that whatever RGB working space you have setup in your color preferences is the assumption for this untagged data. So it is possible that if you had sRGB set in CS3 but another working space in CS5, you’d get different results. Photoshop doesn’t really have a ‘no color management’ mode. It always makes some assumption about the document color space.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Bill Koenig

Thanks for the reply Digital Dog

In my Photoshop preferences my working space is Prophoto in both CS3 and CS5. As for my B&W pano file I'm really not sure, but the last thing I did was sharpening in Lr then export back to my print folder using "export to hard drive" as all I wanted Lr to do was sharpening, so, did Lr tag the file?

When I set CS3 to sRGB icc profile as I was printing from the ABW driver, the same as I would in CS5 which is color managed, at least the first time I printed from CS3 I didn't realize color management was disabled and the print was to dark.
Then I checked "No Color Management" and the test print I did looked OK.
What happened? That's what I'm trying understand. Add the fact that CM was not active.

Here's a question for you. If I save a file in a color managed work flow, then I print with no color management active from the ABW driver, will this work? Or do I need CM active to do it right?

I'm going to reactivate CEDP and create a new profile for Xp, I didn't want to take the time to do this for just one print , but it seems like the easy way out, and the way color management is supposed to work.

Bill Koenig,

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

What I’d do is make sure the image is in sRGB, then select that profile from Photoshop (PS Manages Color), Relative Colorimetric. From there you move to the Epson driver and pick Advanced B&W and set the various options there based on what you wish (neutral, toned etc). You’ll probably want to start with the ABW set for Dark (not Darker).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up